Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1084 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Low Quant and High Verbal score - going to retake the exam. Tips? [#permalink]
Hi sharik17

Your first step must be to order the ESR and find out what your exact problem areas are with regard to
Quant. Is it Problem Solving(PS) or Data Sufficiency(DS)?
Once you have an ESR, the experts on the forum will be able to give you ways to improve your score!

You should focus on the concepts because I feel that the low score is because of not being clear with
the concepts.
Link for Quant theory : https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html
This link is a collection of all the concepts. You could use GMATClub to practice questions in the concepts
that you have learnt.

This is an awesome post which will help you improve your Quant scores to Q49,50(once you are at Q44)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 41670.html

Hope that helps you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Low Quant and High Verbal score - going to retake the exam. Tips? [#permalink]
sharik17 wrote:
Hi!

I am applying for Masters in Data Science and some schools require GMAT. I studied for about 2 months (been out of school for 11 years) and finally took the test.
The test conditions were disastrous because hurricane in Houston forced me to reschedule it to somewhere 2 hours away and very early. So I had to get a hotel and took the test while tired and generally lacking sleep.

When I took two test exams I scored 45% and 52% on Quant which is not that great and 89% and 72% on Verbal which is reasonable.
When I got the actual test's results I was quite underwhelmed. The score was 660 / 78% but Quant was 36 / 31th percentile and Verbal was 42 / 96th percentile.

I was speechless - I did worse than 69% of all the test-takers on Quant? :| I don't like math that much but I always considered myself to be a logical person so I was pretty unhappy.

Furthermore, on top of it I found math portion more challenging than verbal. With verbal I just flew over the section almost getting bored because I could see exactly where they were trying to trip me up. With Quant I was like a lost puppy.

I am retaking the test in 2 weeks. I think if I can pull my Quant score to at least to 50th percentile while keeping verbal high then my total score should be around 700.

Any particular suggestions or tips? You ever had the same imbalance in quant/verbal scores?

Thank you!

Definitly go over all MGMAT material is absolutely gold
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Low Quant and High Verbal score - going to retake the exam. Tips? [#permalink]
saswata4s wrote:
In my opinion, you should review all the OG questions and GMATPREP questions in the next two weeks. Dont put too much effort on questions that are too hard. Rather, review all the easy and mid level questions, or questions in which you made silly mistakes so that you can nail them on actual test. On real test, dont waste much time in hard questions. Rather, make educated guess and move on.

And as you have only 2 weeks, dont focus of the weakest areas, rather review the areas in which you are comfortable and can answer questions correctly. Best of luck! :thumbup:

Thank you for your suggestions :)

pushpitkc wrote:

Your first step must be to order the ESR and find out what your exact problem areas are with regard to
Quant. Is it Problem Solving(PS) or Data Sufficiency(DS)?
Once you have an ESR, the experts on the forum will be able to give you ways to improve your score!

You should focus on the concepts because I feel that the low score is because of not being clear with
the concepts.
Link for Quant theory :
This link is a collection of all the concepts. You could use GMATClub to practice questions in the concepts
that you have learnt.

This is an awesome post which will help you improve your Quant scores to Q49,50(once you are at Q44)

Hope that helps you.

The last link is particularly good. I will go through that.

I actually did get ESR. Here is the summary for quantitative section:

Your Quantitative score of 36 is higher than 31% of GMAT Exam scores recorded in the past three years. The mean score for this section is 39.4.
• Your performance on Problem Solving questions was equivalent to a score of 33. Your score is better than 25% of all sub-section scores recorded in the past three years. The mean for all test takers is 39.41.
• Your performance on Data Sufficiency questions was equivalent to a score of 43. Your score is better than 47% of all sub-section scores recorded in the past three years. The mean for all test takers is 39.46.
• Your performance on Arithmetic questions was equivalent to a score of 43. Your score is better than 48% of all subsection scores recorded in the past three years. The mean for all test takers is 39.52.
• Your performance on Algebra/Geometry questions was equivalent to a score of 32. Your score is better than 22% of all sub-section scores recorded in the past three years. The mean for all test takers is 39.4.
• You completed 37 of the 37 questions in the Quantitative section.
• You responded correctly to 57% of the first set of questions, 86% of the second set of questions, 71% of the third set of questions and 43% of the final set of questions..
• The average difficulty of questions presented to you in the first set of questions was Medium, the average for the second set of questions was Medium, the average for the third set of questions was Medium and was Medium for the final set of questions.
• The average time it took you to respond to the first set of questions presented was 2:27, the average time for the second set of questions was 2:10, the average time for the third set of questions was 1:51 and 1:47 for the final set of questions.

I attached screenshots too.
Attachments

2.jpg
2.jpg [ 77.57 KiB | Viewed 2402 times ]

1.jpg
1.jpg [ 132.99 KiB | Viewed 2401 times ]

Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Hi sharik17

Here's what mcelroytutoring had to tell about the Quantitative Section:

Quote:
On Quant, it's all about the managing the algorithm.

Here's what you have to do:
1) Make sure you ace the first half of the test. No more than 1 or 2 wrong in the 1st or 2nd quartile of questions.
2) Try your absolute best to avoid getting more than one question wrong in a row.
3) Go slowly enough to excel at the beginning (no careless mistakes), but quickly enough to finish all the questions before time expires

From what I am able to understand from your ESR

Quartile 1(1-9) : 4/7(2 experimental questions)
Quartile 2(10-18) : 6/7(2 experimental questions)
Quartile 3(19-27) : 5/7(2 experimental questions)
Quartile 4(28-37) : 3/7(3 experimental questions)

Because you have consistently made mistakes throughout the test, you were not offered question
of higher difficulty. In order to improve your scores, you might want to work on the 700+ questions
and try and achieve a good accuracy at these questions.

In order to improve your scores, you might want to try the GMATClub tests,
which will make you familiar with the traps that GMAT has. You can redeem
your kudos/points to get them!

Hope this helps you.
GMAT Club Bot