Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [15]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true not o [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
godot53 wrote:
Ok, So "say" is a noun here ? Something like, Jim does have his say in XXXX
No, say is not a noun in the original sentence. It's just that it's not necessary for that portion to be what the what is really introducing. Perhaps the what is actually followed by is, and the the higher courts say portion is not important. I found a sentence very similar to mine in the WSJ:

But these reforms have been financed by what some economists say is a dangerous rise in government debt issuance...

This is meant to be read as:

But these reforms have been financed by what some economists say is a dangerous rise in government debt issuance...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [2]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Re: Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true not o [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ziyuen wrote:
Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true not only about the law but also rules of procedure.

A. Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true not only about the law but also
B. That lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true not only about the law but also about
C. That lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is not only true about the law but also about
D. Lower courts generally accept not only what the higher courts say is true about the law but also about
E. Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say not only is true about the law but also

OFFICIAL SOLUTION

When you see a "not only...but also" construction (or a "both...and" or "either...or"), you should immediately seize on the fact that the two components of that construction must be parallel. One helpful trick for rooting out choices that are not parallel is to read the sentence without everything from "not only" through "but also" to see whether what remains is a complete, coherent thought. If it is not, then you know that the construction is not parallel. For example, if you did that with choice A you would have:

A) Lower courts generally accept what higher courts say is true...rules of procedure.
Since this is not a coherent sentence, A is incorrect. If you perform that on B (the correct answer), you will have:

B) That lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true about rules of procedure.

This is a complete thought (more on why, if you didn't see that at first, in a minute), so you cannot eliminate B for parallelism.
Choices C, D, and E each an error when held to that standard:

C: That lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is about rules pf procedure.
D: Lower courts generally accept about legal rules of procedure.
E: Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say rules of procedure.

Regarding correct choice B: the testmaker here uses an interesting sentence structure that may at first sound incorrect. Your ear may very well want to hear that the lower courts accept what the higher courts say is true (about both the law and rules of procedure). But what the sentence actually says in B is lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say, a fact that is true about both the law and rules of procedure. It's a sentence structure akin to "That it is raining is true in both New York and Boston." Note that the GMAT testmaker likes to find sentences that are correct but also interestingly structured, rewarding those who can unpack a strange sentence to determine what it really says.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true not o [#permalink]
The correct sentence structure should be--> Not only X but also Y

Option A-- Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true not only about the law but also about
the missing about is what makes option A wrong

Option B-- Satisfies the above rule
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
EnglishCream wrote:
What's wrong with A except Parallelism error?

A has two working verbs without a connector [ I am not aware of its technical name, some define it as a run on sentence, but I am not sure]
Lower courts generally accept [what the higher courts say] is true not only about the law but also rules of procedure.
With "that" in B, we are using a noun clause acting as a subject, as below...
Terabyte wrote:
Why this sentence is beginning from That?

Its noun clause - That the GMAT is tough cannot be denied.
Here, "That the GMAT is tough" is a noun clause, clause that act as a noun.
kunalsingh1991 wrote:
unable to understand the error in option A

Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true not only about the law but also rules of procedure.
the first part is a prepositional phrase, while the second is a noun. Another reason to Eliminate A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true not o [#permalink]

A. Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true not only about the law but also
B. That lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true not only about the law but also about
C. That lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is not only true about the law but also about
D. Lower courts generally accept not only what the higher courts say is true about the law but also about
E. Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say not only is true about the law but also

Parallelism marker: Not only... but also...

Now in parallelism the elements of the list should be same in means of not only comparison but the structure also.

in the sentence A the ' not only about the law but also rules of procedure'. ther should be a 'about' after but also.

Option B corrects that error. and is the correct answer for this question.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
About option A: I'm not sure what you mean by a "working" verb, but the first option does not have the error that I think you think it has ( :)), at least not necessarily. It depends on whether you view the the higher courts say bit as being the main element introduced by the what. For example:

We are dealing with what some economists say is the result of structural problems.

Here the what... problems bit (the entire thing) is what we are dealing with.

What I mean by working verb is a verb carrying tense. Sorry, may be I used the wrong term for it. I should have used the term "finite verb".
Ok, So "say" is a noun here ? Something like, Jim does have his say in XXXX

AjiteshArun wrote:
Reading option A that way will lead to a difference in meaning though.

I very much got this essence, considering "say" as a noun and as a verb, as discussed above.

Awesome discussion !! :-D Thank you very much.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:

This is meant to be read as:

I understand your point - "some economist say" is acting as some kind of modifier.
But, at the same time, I am really confused how can this type of structure work ? Because, we are using a clause without any so called "connector" (conjunction, Subordinators, and so on).
Have you seen any official problems using this same kind of construction?

Thank you very much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
hazelnut wrote:
ziyuen wrote:

OFFICIAL SOLUTION

When you see a "not only...but also" construction (or a "both...and" or "either...or"), you should immediately seize on the fact that the two components of that construction must be parallel. One helpful trick for rooting out choices that are not parallel is to read the sentence without everything from "not only" through "but also" to see whether what remains is a complete, coherent thought. If it is not, then you know that the construction is not parallel. For example, if you did that with choice A you would have:

A) Lower courts generally accept what higher courts say is true...rules of procedure.
Since this is not a coherent sentence, A is incorrect. If you perform that on B (the correct answer), you will have:

B) That lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true about rules of procedure.

This is a complete thought (more on why, if you didn't see that at first, in a minute), so you cannot eliminate B for parallelism.
Choices C, D, and E each an error when held to that standard:

C: That lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is about rules pf procedure.
D: Lower courts generally accept about legal rules of procedure.
E: Lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say rules of procedure.

Regarding correct choice B: the testmaker here uses an interesting sentence structure that may at first sound incorrect. Your ear may very well want to hear that the lower courts accept what the higher courts say is true (about both the law and rules of procedure). But what the sentence actually says in B is lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say, a fact that is true about both the law and rules of procedure. It's a sentence structure akin to "That it is raining is true in both New York and Boston." Note that the GMAT testmaker likes to find sentences that are correct but also interestingly structured, rewarding those who can unpack a strange sentence to determine what it really says.

I'm still not clear on the role "that" plays at the beginning of the sentence. Can someone please clarify as to why that's correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
+1 for B.

That lower courts generally accept what the higher courts say is true not only about the law but also about- the answer choice maintains the parallel structure and IS (in bold) is the verb for subject THAT.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts