It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 18:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2015
Posts: 57

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 127

Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 03:11
How is option A different from option B? Doesn't it convey the same meaning that the bacteria can affect in larvel and nymph stage and not in adult stage? Experts please explain.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 127

SC Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1505

Kudos [?]: 1186 [0], given: 890

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 04:06
rmadmit wrote:
How is option A different from option B? Doesn't it convey the same meaning that the bacteria can affect in larvel and nymph stage and not in adult stage? Experts please explain.


People can be infected even by an adult stage deer tick. Its not restricted to larva and nymph stage. But if a deer tick gets infected in the adult stage, it cannot transmit the disease since a deer tick can feed only one host in each stage.

Kudos [?]: 1186 [0], given: 890

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2014
Posts: 362

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 17

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 08:33
Vyshak wrote:
rmadmit wrote:
How is option A different from option B? Doesn't it convey the same meaning that the bacteria can affect in larvel and nymph stage and not in adult stage? Experts please explain.


People can be infected even by an adult stage deer tick. Its not restricted to larva and nymph stage. But if a deer tick gets infected in the adult stage, it cannot transmit the disease since a deer tick can feed only one host in each stage.


still dont get it :( :(
feeding on an infected host in any of the tick's 3 stages

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 17

SC Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1505

Kudos [?]: 1186 [0], given: 890

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 09:40
paidlukkha wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
rmadmit wrote:
How is option A different from option B? Doesn't it convey the same meaning that the bacteria can affect in larvel and nymph stage and not in adult stage? Experts please explain.


People can be infected even by an adult stage deer tick. Its not restricted to larva and nymph stage. But if a deer tick gets infected in the adult stage, it cannot transmit the disease since a deer tick can feed only one host in each stage.


still dont get it :( :(
feeding on an infected host in any of the tick's 3 stages


feeding on an infected host in any of the tick's 3 stages --> It means it can feed on an infected host to get itself infected in any of the three stages.
However, at a time, it can feed only on one host in each stage. --> It means, in every stage, it can either get infected by feeding on an infected host or it can transmit the disease by feeding on a non infected host.

Hope it helps.

Kudos [?]: 1186 [0], given: 890

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2016
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 03:47
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ticks. Deer ticks are almost never born infected with...[/spoiler][/quote]

each tick can only be transfer to one host in one stage, hence it can be transfered when it still in larva or nhymp, but it can not be transfered in adults, since it the last stage of the process in one host

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2014
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 07:21
can someone explain the argument in a simplified way please??

can humans be the host?? so the deer feeds on human??? it doesn't make sense at all

how can the disease be transmitted? is it by feeding?? if it's by feeding then ok B) makes sense

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3200

Kudos [?]: 3519 [1], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 11:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
joealam wrote:
can someone explain the argument in a simplified way please??

can humans be the host?? so the deer feeds on human??? it doesn't make sense at all

how can the disease be transmitted? is it by feeding?? if it's by feeding then ok B) makes sense


OK .. trying to explain as simply as I can:

Deer ticks: an insect that has three phases (say I, II and III) in life. This insect is carrier of a bacteria (say X) that causes Lyme disease. The insect gets the bacteria X from someone else (say H1) while feeding on H1, who is already infected with the bacteria. Later the insect delivers the bacteria X to someone else (say H2) while feeding on H2.

The condition is that taking up and delivering of bacteria X cannot happen in the same phase of the insect's life because the insect feeds on only one animal or person in one phase of it's life (it cannot feed on both H1 and H2 in the same phase). If the insect gets the bacteria in phase I, it can deliver it in phase II or III. If the insect gets the bacteria in phase II, it can deliver it in phase III. If it gets in phase III, it cannot deliver at all.

Hosts: Hosts are the entities (could be humans or any animal) on whom the above insect feeds. H1 and H2 are both hosts (hosts of the insect).

Now read the explanations in the previous posts and hopefully you will understand the argument.

Kudos [?]: 3519 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 20:15
Michael KC Chen wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument ?

Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ticks. Deer ticks are almost never born infected with the bacterium, but they can pick it up from feeding on an infected host in any of the tick's three successive stage of development: larva, nymph, adult. Once infected, a tick remains infected through any subsequent developmental stages, but since a tick feeds on only one host in each stage, it follows that ______________

A. People can be infected only by being bitten by a tick that is either in larval stage or in the nymph stage
B. People cannot be infected by a tick that picked up the Lyme disease bacterium in the adult stage
C. It is not possible for a person to be infected by a tick that is in the nymph stage or by a tick that was infected with the bacterium while in the nymph stage
D. People infected with the Lyme disease bacterium cannot transmit bacterium to adult deer ticks
E. Only deer ticks that are adults can transmit the Lyme disease bacterium to people

Does anyone know how to draw the logical picture of this question ?
I went with POE but still got this question incorrect ....
A/E are out for sure....
have no idea about the rest 3 ....

Thanks ...


A very tricky question for me , by reading the question could not make out that how is the disease transmitted . My understanding was the tick can get infected by feeding on an infected host . For transmitting it can do so in any other way like ingestion or a bite or something :). It was only after reading the answers did I understand the passage

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 71

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.8
WE: Other (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 00:44
Very tricky question. Got thrown off by the first sentence and couldn't understand the second one in "Once infected, a tick remains infected through any subsequent developmental stages, but since a tick feeds on only one host in each stage". After reading the explanation, option choice B is a clear winner. I have selected D as it stands out from the other answer choices. Good question.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q33 V39
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GPA: 3.54
WE: Corporate Finance (Telecommunications)
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 19:39
I was going to comment how I also still don't understand but I talked through it to myself (I originally chose A).

A is incorrect because a scenario can exist where a larva tick became infected, developed to the adult stage (as an already infected adult), proceeded to feed on the one host as an adult, and then infected that person. Also, as was pointed out, extreme language; "only" is also present in A.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3200

Kudos [?]: 3519 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 12:19
eumbaapplicant799 wrote:
I was going to comment how I also still don't understand but I talked through it to myself (I originally chose A).

A is incorrect because a scenario can exist where a larva tick became infected, developed to the adult stage (as an already infected adult), proceeded to feed on the one host as an adult, and then infected that person. Also, as was pointed out, extreme language; "only" is also present in A.


The following link may be helpful:

lyme-disease-215972.html#p1731268

Kudos [?]: 3519 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Dec 2014
Posts: 31

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 04:13
sayantanc2k wrote:
crescendo85 wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument ?

Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ticks. Deer ticks are almost never born infected with the bacterium, but they can pick it up from feeding on an infected host in any of the tick's three successive stage of development: larva, nymph, adult. Once infected, a tick remains infected through any subsequent developmental stages, but since a tick feeds on only one host in each stage, it follows that ______________

A. People can be infected only by being bitten by a tick that is either in larval stage or in the nymph stage
B. People cannot be infected by a tick that picked up the Lyme disease bacterium in the adult stage
C. It is not possible for a person to be infected by a tick that is in the nymph stage or by a tick that was infected with the bacterium while in the nymph stage
D. People infected with the Lyme disease bacterium cannot transmit bacterium to adult deer ticks
E. Only deer ticks that are adults can transmit the Lyme disease bacterium to people

ans is B!..not clear at all





Please help

Sent you 1 SC also. Thnx in advance.


Deer ticks can feed on only one entity in each stage. The entity may be infected or may not be infected. If the entity is infected, deer tick gets infected. However it would not transmit the bacteria in the same stage, since it has already completed its quota of feeding (one feed per stage) for that stage - it won't feed on another entity in the same stage and if it cannot feed on another entity, it cannot transmit the bacteria as well. It can infect only in the next stage.

Thus if a deer tick gets infected in adult stage, it cannot infect a human, because it would die after the adult stage.




hi sayantanc2k,
please help me to clarify this
i understand your point above. but from the stimulus, there is no information that only when deer ticks feed on people, they transmit the disease. it can transmit bacteria another ways. or we have to make that assumption.
tks alot

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3200

Kudos [?]: 3519 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 09:36
Mns1203 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
crescendo85 wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument ?

Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ticks. Deer ticks are almost never born infected with the bacterium, but they can pick it up from feeding on an infected host in any of the tick's three successive stage of development: larva, nymph, adult. Once infected, a tick remains infected through any subsequent developmental stages, but since a tick feeds on only one host in each stage, it follows that ______________

A. People can be infected only by being bitten by a tick that is either in larval stage or in the nymph stage
B. People cannot be infected by a tick that picked up the Lyme disease bacterium in the adult stage
C. It is not possible for a person to be infected by a tick that is in the nymph stage or by a tick that was infected with the bacterium while in the nymph stage
D. People infected with the Lyme disease bacterium cannot transmit bacterium to adult deer ticks
E. Only deer ticks that are adults can transmit the Lyme disease bacterium to people

ans is B!..not clear at all





Please help

Sent you 1 SC also. Thnx in advance.


Deer ticks can feed on only one entity in each stage. The entity may be infected or may not be infected. If the entity is infected, deer tick gets infected. However it would not transmit the bacteria in the same stage, since it has already completed its quota of feeding (one feed per stage) for that stage - it won't feed on another entity in the same stage and if it cannot feed on another entity, it cannot transmit the bacteria as well. It can infect only in the next stage.

Thus if a deer tick gets infected in adult stage, it cannot infect a human, because it would die after the adult stage.




hi sayantanc2k,
please help me to clarify this
i understand your point above. but from the stimulus, there is no information that only when deer ticks feed on people, they transmit the disease. it can transmit bacteria another ways. or we have to make that assumption.
tks alot


Your point is valid. This is an underlying assumption when you select B - otherwise deer ticks may pick up the disease at early adult stage and then in later adult stage it could transmit in some other way (not by feeding).

Kudos [?]: 3519 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Dec 2014
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 09:53
Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ticks. Deer ticks are almost never born infected with the bacterium, but they can pick it up from feeding on an infected host in any of the tick's three successive stage of development: larva, nymph, adult. Once infected, a tick remains infected through any subsequent developmental stages, but since a tick feeds on only one host in each stage, it follows that ______________

A. People can be infected only by being bitten by a tick that is either in larval stage or in the nymph stage
B. People cannot be infected by a tick that picked up the Lyme disease bacterium in the adult stage
C. It is not possible for a person to be infected by a tick that is in the nymph stage or by a tick that was infected with the bacterium while in the nymph stage
D. People infected with the Lyme disease bacterium cannot transmit bacterium to adult deer ticks
E. Only deer ticks that are adults can transmit the Lyme disease bacterium to people


The tick progresses through three stages feeding only once in each stage.
So if the tick has already reached the adult stage and feeds on an infected bacterium to pick up the disease, it will not be able infect any people because it has already fed once for this stage.



hence B


Regards
ARUN

Also chekout the review on GMAT Practice tests
http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460-620.html#p1758429

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Status: DONE!
Joined: 05 Sep 2016
Posts: 408

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 283

Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2016, 18:03
B is the correct choice because the tick in it's adult stage will already have gotten the virus from its host. Based on the prompt, it will not change its host as it is in the last and final stage of its life.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 283

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 335

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 103

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2016, 03:06
I got this question on GMATPrep 6 verbal section. While analyzing my mistakes, I drew something similar on my notepad to visualize this better. It helps me to understand why option B is correct and why option A is not similar to option B and hence incorrect.

Hope it helps other clarifying their doubts.
Attachments

File comment: While thinking about the question, I drew something similar on my notepad. Hope it helps others to clarify their doubts.
Critical Reasoning.PNG
Critical Reasoning.PNG [ 23.25 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]


_________________

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 103

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2014
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 70

Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 09:32
The only times I ever heard about deer ticks in my life are in GMAT #foreignstudentstruggles

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 70

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Jan 2017
Posts: 82

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 44

Location: India
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.9
CAT Tests
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 04:57
Which of the following most logically completes the argument ?

Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ticks. Deer ticks are almost never born infected with the bacterium, but they can pick it up from feeding on an infected host in any of the tick's three consecuctive stages of development: larva, nymph, adult. Once infected, a tick remains infected through any subsequent developmental stages, but since a tick feeds on only one host in each stage, it follows that__________________.

a. people can be infected only by being bitten by a tick that is either in the larval stage or in the nymph stage
b. people cannot be infected by a tick that picked up the Lyme disease bacterium in the adult stage.
c. it is not possible for a person to be infected by a tick that is in the nymph stage or by a tick that was infected with the bacterium while in the nymph stage
d. people infected with the Lyme disease bacterium cannot transmit the bacterium to adult deer ticks
e. only deer ticks that are adults can transmit the Lyme disease bacterium to people

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 44

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 May 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.86
Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 22:10
chetan2u wrote:
Michael KC Chen wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument ?

Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted to people by deer ticks. Deer ticks are almost never born infected with the bacterium, but they can pick it up from feeding on an infected host in any of the tick's three successive stage of development: larva, nymph, adult. Once infected, a tick remains infected through any subsequent developmental stages, but since a tick feeds on only one host in each stage, it follows that ______________

A. People can be infected only by being bitten by a tick that is either in larval stage or in the nymph stage
B. People cannot be infected by a tick that picked up the Lyme disease bacterium in the adult stage
C. It is not possible for a person to be infected by a tick that is in the nymph stage or by a tick that was infected with the bacterium while in the nymph stage
D. People infected with the Lyme disease bacterium cannot transmit bacterium to adult deer ticks
E. Only deer ticks that are adults can transmit the Lyme disease bacterium to people

Does anyone know how to draw the logical picture of this question ?
I went with POE but still got this question incorrect ....
A/E are out for sure....
have no idea about the rest 3 ....

Thanks ...


Hi,
what I can make out of this CR--
Lyme disease is transmitted to people by deer tick carrying the bacteria causing the disease. the deer tick gets infected in any of the three stages by feeding on infected host. Thereafter it carries this bacteria. However deertick feeds on ONLY one host in each stage..

what does this mean--


1) deertick getting infected in larval stage, can transmit the disease to two people, one in its NYMPH stage and one in its ADULT stage..
2) deertick getting infected in nymph stage, can transmit the disease toone person in its ADULT stage..
3) Any deertick getting infected in adult stage, cannot transmit the disease to any one as it can feed only on ONE host in each stage, and OFCOURSE it got the bacterium while feeding on that ONE host and NOW it will not feed on any other person and thus will not spread the disease to any one ..

POINT 3 is covered by choice B..
B is the answer..
Hope it helps



I thought "one host" meant one type of host... Dang

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2017, 22:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium transmitted - complete passage

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.