GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 21:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

m and n are both positive. Pump A pumps n liters of water per minute.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
m and n are both positive. Pump A pumps n liters of water per minute. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 04:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:31) correct 28% (01:31) wrong based on 236 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

m and n are both positive. Pump A pumps n liters of water per minute, and pump B pumps m liters of water per minute. Is m < n ?

(1) x is the number of minutes it takes pump B to fill a 100 liter container alone, and 3x is the number of minutes it takes pump B to fill a 100 liter container while pump A pumps water out of that container.

(2) It takes (3x/2) minutes for pump A to fill a 100 liter container alone.

This is a Yes/No DS question. Answering a definite "Yes" or a definite "No" means Sufficient. If the answer is sometimes "Yes" and sometimes "No", it means Maybe which means Insufficient.

The issue is rates. n and m are the rates of the two pumps. the question asks whether m < n, so the real issue is whether A pumps more water per minute than B does.

Stat. (1): No need for complicated rate boxes here. The information tells us that pump B is faster than pump A, since the 100 liter container gets filled even though A pumps water out of it. This means that m is not less than n, but that's a definite "No", which is sufficient. Stat.(1)->S->AD.

Stat. (2): Since x is only given in statement (1), stat. (2) alone tells you nothing about pump B. Thus, there is no way to compare the rates of the two pipes, and Stat.(2)->IS->A.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Re: m and n are both positive. Pump A pumps n liters of water per minute. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 17:29
reto wrote:
m and n are both positive. Pump A pumps n liters of water per minute, and pump B pumps m liters of water per minute. Is m < n ?

(1) x is the number of minutes it takes pump B to fill a 100 liter container alone, and 3x is the number of minutes it takes pump B to fill a 100 liter container while pump A pumps water out of that container.

(2) It takes (3x/2) minutes for pump A to fill a 100 liter container alone.

This is a Yes/No DS question. Answering a definite "Yes" or a definite "No" means Sufficient. If the answer is sometimes "Yes" and sometimes "No", it means Maybe which means Insufficient.

The issue is rates. n and m are the rates of the two pumps. the question asks whether m < n, so the real issue is whether A pumps more water per minute than B does.

Stat. (1): No need for complicated rate boxes here. The information tells us that pump B is faster than pump A, since the 100 liter container gets filled even though A pumps water out of it. This means that m is not less than n, but that's a definite "No", which is sufficient. Stat.(1)->S->AD.

Stat. (2): Since x is only given in statement (1), stat. (2) alone tells you nothing about pump B. Thus, there is no way to compare the rates of the two pipes, and Stat.(2)->IS->A.

That is a great analysis, and I want to add one bit of strategic advice on top. If you recognize that the issue is about knowing which pump rate between A and B is faster, then it is very apparent that both statements together are sufficient. Statement 1 says that pump B can fill the container in x minutes, and statement 2 says that it takes pump A longer to fill it (3x/2 minutes). Therefore we know that together they are clearly sufficient, because we can see that pump B is faster than pump A. But when a question has such an "obvious C" answer choice, then it is most likely actually either answer choice A or B. Here the second statement is definitely not going to be sufficient, because it is only discussing one of the rates, but the first statement has more information and is more complicated. Thus even if you did not know exactly why statement 1 is sufficient, you should be very suspicious on this problem that it is!

Also on problems like this one, don't get baited into doing a bunch of math. The question gives you the volume of the container, enabling you to find x, which you could then use to find pump A's rate and pump B's rate. But none of that is necessary to know which is faster; don't do more math on data sufficiency questions than you have to, or you will burn time.

I hope this helps!

Brandon
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
m and n are both positive. Pump A pumps n liters of water per minute. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2015, 11:47
Here is my observation.

Statement 1 : Says that it takes pump B x minutes to fill 100 litre tank. And pump B 3x minutes to fill a 100 litre tank while pump A pumps water out.

Now rate of pump B is n litre per min and rate of pump A is m litre per min.

In order for pump B to fill the tank itself while pump A pumps water out it is necessary that n litre per min > m litre per min because if (n-m) per litre rate is not positive then the tank will never fill up. Hence n-m will be positive and therefore n>m.

Statement 2 : Clearly insufficient.

Answer : A
Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: m and n are both positive. Pump A pumps n liters of water per minute. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 08:33
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: m and n are both positive. Pump A pumps n liters of water per minute.   [#permalink] 23 May 2017, 08:33

m and n are both positive. Pump A pumps n liters of water per minute.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap