Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618563 [25]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618563 [14]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GPA: 3.9
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: M04-36 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
One fisherman was telling his friends that he caught a fish that had a 60 feet long head and a tail which was equal to the length of the head plus half the length of the body. If the body was half the length of the whole fish, what is the length of the fish?

A. 120
B. 200
C. 240
D. 400
E. 480

This is the sort of problem that lends itself to being solved backwards from the answers, but you still have to make sure you answer the question that is being asked. Namely, we want to know the length of the entire fish, not just the unknown length of its body.

Knowing that the tail is as long as the head plus half the length of the body should make us think that a larger number, rather than a smaller one, would make more sense as a starting point. That is, 60 + 60 = 120 already, and that does not account for the 1/2 portion of the body plus the body itself. Thus, (D) would represent a logical guess. Why (D) over (C)? This is a debate I get into now and then with people who insist on starting with (C) to use as a gauge instead. To be sure, (C) is useful to that end; however, unless the answer is (C) itself or the two lower or higher answers are far apart enough for you to be able to pick one or the other, you will still have to work between two other answers--(A) and (B) or (D) and (E). Starting with a higher estimate in (D), for instance, gives you insight into whether that is the answer, of course, but it also tests (E) by default--if the answer had to be a higher number, then only (E) would suffice. Furthermore, if (D) were a little too high, then (C) would represent a logical answer. Starting with (B) or (D) after reasoning which one represented a better entry point can save you time, more so than what I have observed with students who start with (C).

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. Assuming that the fish is 400 feet altogether, that means, working backward from the question, that the body length must be 200 feet. Stretching back even more, we can now deduce that the tail must be 60 + 100, or 160, feet in length. Do the numbers add up? With a head that is 60 feet, all we have to do is add up the parts: 60 (head) + 200 (body) + 160 (tail) = 420. Close, but no cigar.

For the sake of illustration, what if we went in the wrong direction now and tested (C) instead of (E)? If the fish were 240 feet in length, then the body would be 120 feet, and the tail would be 120 feet (60 + half of 120) as well. Now the entire fish would be 60 (head) + 120 (body) + 120 (tail) = 300. Whereas before, with (D), we were 20 feet off, now we are 60 feet off, so we know we need to add body length instead of decrease it.

If we wanted to test (E), 480, we could, applying the same process as before. If the fish were 480 feet long altogether, then the body would be 240 feet, and the tail would be 180 feet (60 + half of 240). Since 60 (head) + 240 (body) + 180 (tail) = 480, we know we have the right answer.

It may not be as quick or efficient as solving for an unknown through the official answer posted above, but if you ever draw a blank, at least leaning on logic can get you the correct answer in a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
PrayasT wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.

such ques do come in the actual GMAT ?? if yes then what could be the level ??
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
cancerian wrote:
PrayasT wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.

such ques do come in the actual GMAT ?? if yes then what could be the level ??

cancerian - Sure, such questions do come up on the GMAT™. See, for example, a similar type of question from the OG, PS04305, which starts, "Seven pieces of rope..." (You could probably also search for that exact quote on this site and bring up the question, along with various members' analyses of it.) That question, like this one, according to the difficulty meter above, is rated Hard or Difficult. Since I do not work for GMAC®, I cannot be sure how the difficulty for a question is established, but I suspect it is based on the percent of correct responses to that particular question when it goes through the experimental testing phase--those questions everyone gets during the GMAT™ that do not count toward the score for that test.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
One fisherman was telling his friends that he caught a fish that had a 60 feet long head, and a tail that was equal to the length of the head plus half the length of the body. If the body was half the length of the whole fish, what is the length of the fish?

A. 120
B. 200
C. 240
D. 400
E. 480

H(Head)=60, T(Tail)=60+0.5B and B(Body)=0.5L (Length)

therefore L=H+B+T
L=60+60+0.5B+0.5L but B=0.5L

=> L=120+0.25L+0.5L
0.25L=120
L=480
Answer is E
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618563 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have edited the question and the solution by adding more details to enhance its clarity. I hope it is now easier to understand.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92875 posts