GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 11:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M07-18

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 18:31
alikm wrote:
why are we assuming that there is only 2 types of snakes in the box?

There is no need to assume that there are only 2 types of snakes while reading the main statement. However when you apply the first condition, the assumption of more than 2 types of snakes is eliminated. Because if there were 3 types of snakes there is no way to ensure that there is 1 viper among the 2 snakes are selected.

A thing to keep in mind is that the question isn't asking to determine whether there will be 1 viper among the 2 snakes selected. It is a condition applied to the main statement.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 09:47
This is more of a puzzle than a Quant problem, but its good to know what the wordings imply:
"From any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper"
Implies for any combination of two snakes we can never have two Cobras. This can only happen if there is 1 cobra.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2019, 02:29
You can look at this if there are X snakes in Pandora's Box and as per statement 1 if you take out any two snakes out of X there can be at least 1 viper.

Now what does that mean : That mean you can have 1 viper and 1 cobra or 2 vipers in any two pairs chosen from Pandora's Box.
That means there cant be two cobras in any pair chosen. That will violate the statement one. and as per question stem there is at least one cobra that confirms that there can be at most one cobra only.
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.99
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2019, 09:34
Analysis: (I got this wrong, i read the previous posts and answers, re-illustrated and now I finally understood. :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked Thanks for this wonderful Tricky question)

Question stem says, at least one cobra and one viper

Stmt 1 says,
At least one viper when you pick ANY two snakes

So the Combination of two snakes are :
VV - OK
VC - OK
CV - OK
CC - This is not possible, since there must be at least one Viper in a pair of snakes

=====================================================================

Case 1:
V V V V V V
V V C V V V
V V V V V V
In case 1, I could get only the following combinations
VV - OK
VC - OK
CV - OK
(Therefore, this is exactly what was mentioned in the question stem and statement 1)

Case 2:
V V V V V V
V C C V V V
V V V V V V
In case 2, I could get all the following combinations
VV - OK
VC - OK
CV - OK
CC - This is not possible, since there must be at least one Viper in a pair of snakes
(Therefore, this is NOT what was mentioned in the question stem and statement 1)

YOU CAN HAVE ONLY one COBRA as in CASE 1

=====================================================================

in statement 2, the total snakes are 99.
So i could have any combinations of snakes As long as at least one cobra and at least one viper as mentioned in the question stem

98C + 1V
91C + 8V

So, statement 2 is not useful at all.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 22:15
I honestly don't think many people got this right. A lot of the responses in this thread are merely justifications.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 07:06
hello Bunnel,

Can you please suggest some similar questions to practice based on above concept.
Intern
Intern
Re M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 03:18
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. hi,
according to 1, there is at least one viper in "any" pair of snakes taken from the box. so lets aasume that there are 40 pairs:
vv
vc
vc
vc
vv
so we can not calculate the number of cobras exactly from what is given in 1.
could you please tell me where I am wrong,
thanks
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 03:22
Voyagegrande wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. hi,
according to 1, there is at least one viper in "any" pair of snakes taken from the box. so lets aasume that there are 40 pairs:
vv
vc
vc
vc
vv
so we can not calculate the number of cobras exactly from what is given in 1.
could you please tell me where I am wrong,
thanks

This is explained several times on previous pages. I suggest you to re-read the solution more carefully and if this does not helps, read the whole discussion. This is one of the hardest questions in the test but I assure you that it's 100% correct.
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 08:03
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
There is at least one viper and at least one cobra in Pandora's box. How many cobras are there?

(1) From any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper.
(2) The total number of snakes in Pandora's box is 99.

Given: There is at least one viper and at least one cobra in Pandora's box.

Target question: How many cobras are there?

Statement 1: From any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper.
This tells us that there CANNOT be more than one cobra in the box.
For example, if there were TWO cobras and the box, then it's possible to have two snakes (both cobras) such that neither is a viper, which would break the condition that at least one snake must be a viper.
Since we are told there is at least one cobra, and since we have now concluded that there CANNOT be more than one cobra in the box, the answer to the target question is there is exactly 1 cobra in the box
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The total number of snakes in Pandora's box is 99
There are many scenarios that satisfy statement 2. Here are two:
Case a: There are 10 cobras and 89 vipers. In this case, the answer to the target question is there are 10 cobras in the box
Case b: There are 11 cobras and 88 vipers. In this case, the answer to the target question is there are 11 cobras in the box
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent
Re: M07-18   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2019, 08:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   [ 129 posts ] 

M07-18

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel