It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M07-18

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 124452 [0], given: 12078

Re: M07-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 06:09
jwang516 wrote:
I get the solution but what confused me was the possibility of a third type of snake that is NOT viper or Cobra. I thought the question stem left that possibility open

"There is at least one viper and at least one cobra in Pandora's box"- could mean that there is 1 Viper, 1 cobra and another type of snake.....nowhere does it say that the box only contains cobra and vipers

^ If this is the case. Should we always assume that it contains just cobra and viper? I don't remember where but there was a similar question maybe on OG where an answer was not sufficient because you couldn't assume a box only holds X and Y unless it specifically said so

As such, statement A could mean that you can get 1 Viper and 1 Cobra or 1 Viper and a third type of snake, no?

This is also explained on previous pages. The stem clearly says that "There is at least one viper and at least one cobra in Pandora's box".

(1) says: From any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper. There cannot be any other type of snake in the box because we know that there is at least one viper and at least one cobra and if there is some other type snake there then we can choose cobra and that snake and the condition will be violated.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

M07-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 06:05
without total number how can you evaluate that how many cobras in there ?

option A

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 5

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 00:49
This post received
KUDOS
the Question Stem says that there is at least 1 viper and at least 1 cobra. It doesn’t state anything else. So basically it is giving us the Minimum number of cobras and vipers.

Now, the first option states that, whenever randomly you select two snakes from the box, at least one is definitely a viper.  The meaning of the statement is that whenever randomly you pick up two snakes, either it will be one viper or it will be 2 vipers.

So we have a very interesting observation here ==> if at all there were more than one cobra in the box, there would have been at least one random scenario when both the picked up snakes would be cobras. But as it is given in the first statement, no matter how you pick two snakes, maximum number of Cobras can always only be 1.  This clearly indicates that, the maximum possible number of Cobras in the box is 1. And it has been given in the question stem that the minimum number of cobras is 1. So when we know that the maximum and minimum number of Cobras in the box is 1, it is clear that the number of Cobras in the box is 1.

Hence this option is sufficient.

The second option gives us the total number of snakes. It is definitely not possible to find a number of Cobras from this number. Hence this option is insufficient.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re M07-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 12:20
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. For any two snakes from the box, if at least 1 is a viper, that means for any two snakes they are either 1 viper 1 cobra, or 2 vipers zero cobras. How in the world does that imply there is just one cobra. There are so many different combinations that are possible, insufficient.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 12:25
aishakar wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. For any two snakes from the box, if at least 1 is a viper, that means for any two snakes they are either 1 viper 1 cobra, or 2 vipers zero cobras. How in the world does that imply there is just one cobra. There are so many different combinations that are possible, insufficient.

You should read question more carefully.

The question clearly says that "There is at least one viper and at least one cobra in Pandora's box".

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 13:45
ran787 wrote:
the Question Stem says that there is at least 1 viper and at least 1 cobra. It doesn’t state anything else. So basically it is giving us the Minimum number of cobras and vipers.

Now, the first option states that, whenever randomly you select two snakes from the box, at least one is definitely a viper.  The meaning of the statement is that whenever randomly you pick up two snakes, either it will be one viper or it will be 2 vipers.

So we have a very interesting observation here ==> if at all there were more than one cobra in the box, there would have been at least one random scenario when both the picked up snakes would be cobras. But as it is given in the first statement, no matter how you pick two snakes, maximum number of Cobras can always only be 1.  This clearly indicates that, the maximum possible number of Cobras in the box is 1. And it has been given in the question stem that the minimum number of cobras is 1. So when we know that the maximum and minimum number of Cobras in the box is 1, it is clear that the number of Cobras in the box is 1.

Hence this option is sufficient.

The second option gives us the total number of snakes. It is definitely not possible to find a number of Cobras from this number. Hence this option is insufficient.

this explanation was useful and well explained, thank you for going beyond reiterating the question stem.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V35
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re M07-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 01:09
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 04:26
Hi Bunnel,

Please help me understand the flaw in my logic, I understand that from the 1st question the number of snakes in the box can be ONLY 2, that's the only way to have 1 viper and 1 cobra, however, I fail to understand that why anybody hasn't considered any other snake than viper or cobra.

Example : If I have a viper, cobra and black mamba - Using statement 1 I pick 2 snakes and I draw a viper and black mamba, the 1st statement is satisfied, however, it does not help me get the number of cobras.

I have gone through the OG problems and in some problems the OE does mention content, which is not stated in the question. Could you please help ??

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 04:34
anuj11 wrote:
Hi Bunnel,

Please help me understand the flaw in my logic, I understand that from the 1st question the number of snakes in the box can be ONLY 2, that's the only way to have 1 viper and 1 cobra, however, I fail to understand that why anybody hasn't considered any other snake than viper or cobra.

Example : If I have a viper, cobra and black mamba - Using statement 1 I pick 2 snakes and I draw a viper and black mamba, the 1st statement is satisfied, however, it does not help me get the number of cobras.

I have gone through the OG problems and in some problems the OE does mention content, which is not stated in the question. Could you please help ??

1. It's not necessary the box to have 1 viper and 1 cobra. The box can have 1 cobra and any number of vipers more than or equal to 1. The solution even gives an example: 1 cobra and 1 viper or 1 cobra and 99 vipers.

2. About some other types of snakes. This is also addressed in the thread. (1) says: From any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper. There cannot be any other type of snake in the box because we know that there is at least one viper and at least one cobra and if there is some other type snake there then we can choose cobra and that snake and the condition will be violated.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 153

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 02:10
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

This is a hard question that challenges test-taker's logic. It is simple once you understand it but hard if you have never solved it. If you made a mistake on this question, make sure you understand the logic so you can be armed with this new tool for the real test.

(1) Statement 1 tells us that from any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper. This does not mean that there are 2 snakes in the box or that there is only 1 viper. Instead, it indicates that at most, there is 1 cobra. This may mean 1 cobra and 1 viper or 1 cobra and 99 vipers. Make sure you understand this distinction. S1 tells us that there is only 1 cobra in the box, which is sufficient.

(2) The total number of snakes Pandora's box is 99. Clearly insufficient.

Answer: A

Dear Bunuel

I went along the thread but I could not understand something about fact 1.

If I use info in Fact 2 in Fact 1, it says 'at least 1 Viber' and throw them away. It means I can grab another 2 Vibers and throw them away. I can repeat attempts and finally I will get 1 V &1 C.

Is that logic ok?

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 02:19
Mo2men wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

This is a hard question that challenges test-taker's logic. It is simple once you understand it but hard if you have never solved it. If you made a mistake on this question, make sure you understand the logic so you can be armed with this new tool for the real test.

(1) Statement 1 tells us that from any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper. This does not mean that there are 2 snakes in the box or that there is only 1 viper. Instead, it indicates that at most, there is 1 cobra. This may mean 1 cobra and 1 viper or 1 cobra and 99 vipers. Make sure you understand this distinction. S1 tells us that there is only 1 cobra in the box, which is sufficient.

Dear Bunuel

If I use info in Fact 2 in Fact 1, it says 'at least 1 Viber' and throw them away. It means I can grab another 2 Vibers and throw them away. I can repeat attempts and finally I will get 1 V &1 C.

Is that logic ok?

Sorry but I cannot understand at all what you mean. Do you mean statement 1 and 2 by fact 1 and 2? What do you mean throw away?

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

VP
VP
G

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 02:36
Bunuel wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Dear Bunuel

Is that logic ok?

Sorry but I cannot understand at all what you mean. Do you mean statement 1 and 2 by fact 1 and 2? What do you mean throw away?

I will try to simplify what I mean.

Does Statement 1 mean that in each time in I grab ANY two snakes, those snakes MUST be 1 V and 1 C. Or Could it be 2 Vibers?

My understanding:

I used imaginary situation that I have box with 99 snakes. Each time I grab two snakes it might be (2 V) or (1 V and 1 C). Suppose we have 4 snakes in the box. I can grab first 2 as Viper and keep them aside. In the second 2 snakes MUST be 1 V and 1 C.

Suppose I have 5 snakes. I cab grab in first 2 attempts 2 V snakes and keep them aside. So the last snake MUST be Cobra.

P.S. The term 'throw away' is mean to keep them aside before doing second attempt.

I hop I was clear.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 02:42
Mo2men wrote:

Does Statement 1 mean that in each time in I grab ANY two snakes, those snakes MUST be 1 V and 1 C. Or Could it be 2 Vibers?

My understanding:

I used imaginary situation that I have box with 99 snakes. Each time I grab two snakes it might be (2 V) or (1 V and 1 C). Suppose we have 4 snakes in the box. I can grab first 2 as Viper and keep them aside. In the second 2 snakes MUST be 1 V and 1 C.

Suppose I have 5 snakes. I cab grab in first 2 attempts 2 V snakes and keep them aside. So the last snake MUST be Cobra.

P.S. The term 'throw away' is mean to keep them aside before doing second attempt.

I hop I was clear.

The first statement does not mean that you are taking the snakes and throwing them away. It means that out of all possible cases to pick two snakes out of the box there will be at least one viper. So, no matter which two snakes you pick you can get either two vipers or one viper and one cobra.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

VP
VP
G

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 02:48
Bunuel wrote:
Mo2men wrote:

My understanding:

I hop I was clear.

The first statement does not mean that you are taking the snakes and throwing them away. It means that out of all possible cases to pick two snakes out of the box there will be at least one viper. So, no matter which two snakes you pick you can get either two vipers or one viper and one cobra.

Thanks for your answer

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 16:15
What if there are other snakes in the box, The question doesn't mention Viper and Cobra are the only 2 kinds of snakes. For any 2 snakes, if you have a Viper, couldn't that mean {Viper, Rattle Snake} as well?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
G

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 16:37
bhargavsrini wrote:
What if there are other snakes in the box, The question doesn't mention Viper and Cobra are the only 2 kinds of snakes. For any 2 snakes, if you have a Viper, couldn't that mean {Viper, Rattle Snake} as well?

I saw the same question answered by Bunuel in page 2 or 3.

good luck

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 14:33
josegf1987 wrote:
At least one is a Viper --> Couldn't there be two vipers - and therefore 0 cobras - and invalidate statement 1? Thanks.

Any answer to this? Wondering the same thing here!

Thanks

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 1910 [1], given: 6

M07-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 15:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
josegf1987 wrote:
At least one is a Viper --> Couldn't there be two vipers - and therefore 0 cobras - and invalidate statement 1? Thanks.

In DS questions, you are never trying to 'invalidate' the statements. The statements are facts - they can't be wrong. You're trying to work out whether the question "how many cobras are there?" can have only one answer, or more than one answer.

If, when looking at one statement, you're considering a scenario that would make that statement false, you're considering a scenario that doesn't agree with the information you've been provided, so you're considering a scenario that isn't relevant to the problem.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 15:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Is this one of your questions, Bunuel? It's a really good question - it's logically tricky, but the setup is elegantly simple, like in many real high-level GMAT problems.

In case it helps anyone, when I read Statement 1, I rephrased it this way: "if you pick two snakes from the box, you will never pick two cobras". That means there can be at most one cobra in the box, and since there's at least one, there must be exactly one.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 15:31
IanStewart wrote:
josegf1987 wrote:

In DS questions, you are never trying to 'invalidate' the statements. The statements are facts - they can't be wrong. You're trying to work out whether the question "how many cobras are there?" can have only one answer, or more than one answer.

If, when looking at one statement, you're considering a scenario that would make that statement false, you're considering a scenario that doesn't agree with the information you've been provided, so you're considering a scenario that isn't relevant to the problem.

Agreed not trying to invalidate statements - I was having a hard time understanding how (1) would still be sufficient in a scenario where we could have 0 cobras or 1 cobra in the box.

After giving the question another read, I see that it clearly states that "There is at least one viper and at least one cobra in Pandora's box".

It now makes sense. 8-)

Thank you

Re: M07-18   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2017, 15:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 91 posts ] 

M07-18

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap