It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 19:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M07-18

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Re: M07-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
IanStewart wrote:
Is this one of your questions, Bunuel? It's a really good question - it's logically tricky, but the setup is elegantly simple, like in many real high-level GMAT problems.

In case it helps anyone, when I read Statement 1, I rephrased it this way: "if you pick two snakes from the box, you will never pick two cobras". That means there can be at most one cobra in the box, and since there's at least one, there must be exactly one.

Yes, this is one of my questions. I knew that it would be a hard question when writing it but it turned out to be one of the hardest ones based on the timer stats and replies.

The same way a simple principle tested here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/m03-183621.html#p1413892 seems to be hard to grasp for many.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re M07-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 06:32
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 07:21
I just stumbled upon this question. Took me a while as to why S1 is the correct answer, but it was absurdly simple. Made me realise that I should start focusing more on the verbal section lol.

Nice one B.

I used to think the brain was the most important organ. Then I thought, look what’s telling me that.

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 05:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Guys,

As per the question and S1:

There is at least one viper and at least one cobra in Pandora's box. How many cobras are there?
(1) From any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper.

it says that the box as at least one of the 2 snakes. So lets say the box has 10 vipes and 10 cobras = 20 snankes.
Now acc to S1 from any 2 snakes atleast one is a viper which means 1 or more than one, so in this case we can have 2 V and 0 C.

This would make the S1 insufficient.

Please let me know if my understanding of atleast 1 Viper is correct.

Ideally the question mentions only about the contents of the box so assuming there would be atleast 1 C in the box would be correct, but assuming the same for the 2 snakes would be wrong.

Please comment on this argument of mine.

Regards,
Abhishek
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 06:19
salviabu wrote:
Hi Guys,

As per the question and S1:

There is at least one viper and at least one cobra in Pandora's box. How many cobras are there?
(1) From any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper.

it says that the box as at least one of the 2 snakes. So lets say the box has 10 vipes and 10 cobras = 20 snankes.
Now acc to S1 from any 2 snakes atleast one is a viper which means 1 or more than one, so in this case we can have 2 V and 0 C.

This would make the S1 insufficient.

Please let me know if my understanding of atleast 1 Viper is correct.

Ideally the question mentions only about the contents of the box so assuming there would be atleast 1 C in the box would be correct, but assuming the same for the 2 snakes would be wrong.

Please comment on this argument of mine.

Regards,
Abhishek

You'll benefit greatly if you read the whole discussion before posting a question. The second statement says: (1) From ANY two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Babson '20 (I)
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GPA: 3.25

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 06:52
Oh! I got it!

Assuming that There are VVVVVVVVVV and (nC) in the box ; n is unknown number for now.

Whenever we pick any 2 snakes out of the box the possibility could be VV VC CV CC.

However, S1 tells us that "any 2 snakes taken out of the box will have at least 1 V"

and why is that? Because in the box C is less than 2 (n<2). Therefore, it is impossible to get CC.

Now let look back to the question states that "at least 1 C in the box" n>=1

Therefore 1<=n<2. The only answer here is 1 !!
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 05:08
Avigano wrote:
Took me some time to get this, it's a good question.
1) FROM ANY 2 SNAKES AT LEAST 1 IS A VIPER.
>>> This means that if I have one cobra and 1 Viper I have sufficiency.
>>> What happens if I add a Cobra? So now have 2 Cobras and 1 Viper. Here it's where it gets tricky, because the question is not testing proportions, it's testing logical deduction. I have 2 cobras and 1 Viper now, if I decide to pull out 2 snakes from pandora, I can get 1 Viper and 1 Cobra OR 2 Cobras. If I get 2 Cobras I'm not only dead but I'm also not respecting the condition that AT LEAST ONE IS A VIPER.

this really helps me ..
I try to get this statement for for an hour.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Human Resources, Organizational Behavior

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 10:39
Hi Bunnel,

That's a wonderful question on logic. Kudos to you!
I got carried away thinking no where in the question it is mentioned that there are no other snakes in the box other than Cobras and Vipers. I was not convinced even after reading the explanation. But then realized that statement one holds true only when all but one snake are Vipers, how many types of snakes doesn't even matter. A good learning! Thanks for the question :)
Intern
Intern
Re M07-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 05:25
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. Explanation provided by AdmitJA made me "get" it!

This is actually a perfect 700 question. Looks deceptively easy and at first glance, seems contrary to common sense.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 05:12
i am happy with statement 2 being insufficient.

so are we saying that there are 98 vipers and 1 viper?

Kudos if you like my response please

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 17:06
Bunuel niks18 chetan2u

I believe this this a value Q, we need to find unique answer to: how many cobras are there in a box?

Quote:
(1) Statement 1 tells us that from any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper. This may mean 1 cobra and 1 viper or 1 cobra and 99 vipers. Make sure you understand this distinction. S1 tells us that there is only 1 cobra in the box, which is sufficient.

If I got by AdmitJA logic,
Quote:
Statement 1: Any 2 snakes, possibilities ---> V, V or V, C or C, V.

I am getting zero cobra for first possibility and 1 cobra for second and third possibility.
Do we not need to have an unique answer to value Q?

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 19:44
adkikani wrote:
Bunuel niks18 chetan2u

I believe this this a value Q, we need to find unique answer to: how many cobras are there in a box?

Quote:
(1) Statement 1 tells us that from any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper. This may mean 1 cobra and 1 viper or 1 cobra and 99 vipers. Make sure you understand this distinction. S1 tells us that there is only 1 cobra in the box, which is sufficient.

If I got by AdmitJA logic,
Quote:
Statement 1: Any 2 snakes, possibilities ---> V, V or V, C or C, V.

I am getting zero cobra for first possibility and 1 cobra for second and third possibility.
Do we not need to have an unique answer to value Q?

What that user means that if from ANY two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper, THESE two picked snakes (out of more than two from the box) could be VV, VC ot CV but NOT CC. It does NOT mean that there are 0 cobras. From (1) it follow that here is only 1 cobra in the box.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 08:26
My Take :

Statement 1:

It means there is at least 1 viper if we select any two.

So Viper count can be 1 or 2.But Cobra count cannot be 2 if we select any two.
This basically means there is only 1 Cobra.

In terms of scripts.
VC
CV
VV

But CC combination will not be possible.

Statement 2:
There are total of 99 snakes .The number of cobras not known.
So insufficient.

Kudos if it helps!!
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re M07-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 01:56
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests
Re M07-18 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 13:35
This post received
KUDOS
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Wording a bit confusing of statement 1
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 14:30
abhi997997 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Wording a bit confusing of statement 1

This question has 5 pages of discussion. That's because it's very hard. But let me assure you: the question is 100% GMAT like and mathematically correct. All I can suggest is to go through the discussion and read it carefully.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: M07-18   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2018, 14:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 96 posts ] 

M07-18

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap