Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618966 [24]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618966 [3]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618966 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Re: M12-16 [#permalink]
Quick question:

Statement 2: would imply that the numbers are consecutive, BUT only if the initial question stem characterized X and Y as two distinct positive integers, correct?

I picked D for this question, upon review I understand why it is not the correct answer. I would like to make sure my understanding of statement two is correct.

Thank you very much.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618966 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
georgetags10 wrote:
Quick question:

Statement 2: would imply that the numbers are consecutive, BUT only if the initial question stem characterized X and Y as two distinct positive integers, correct?

I picked D for this question, upon review I understand why it is not the correct answer. I would like to make sure my understanding of statement two is correct.

Thank you very much.

No. Even then, x and y have not to be consecutive integers, just co-prime. For example, 1 and any other integer, any two distinct primes (for example 2 and 7), ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

The question asks: is \(\frac{x}{y}+\frac{y}{x} \gt 2\)? Or: is \(\frac{x^2+y^2}{xy} \gt 2\)?

Since both unknowns are positive then we can safely multiply by \(xy\):

Is \(x^2+y^2 \gt 2xy\)?

Is \(x^2-2xy+y^2\gt 0\)?

Is \((x-y)^2 \gt 0\)? Now, if \(x\) does not equal \(y\) the answer to this question will be YES, but if \(x=y\), then the answer will be NO, since in this case \((x-y)^2=0\).

(1) \(x\) does not equal \(y\). Directly answers the question. Sufficient.

(2) \(x\) and \(y\) do not share any common divisors except 1. If \(x=y=1\) then the answer is NO, but if \(x=1\) and \(y=2\), then the answer is YES. Not sufficient.

Answer: A

I did the square root of (x-y)^2>0 to get x>y. Can we not do that in this case?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

The question asks: is \(\frac{x}{y}+\frac{y}{x} \gt 2\)? Or: is \(\frac{x^2+y^2}{xy} \gt 2\)?

Is \(x^2+y^2 \gt 2xy\)?

Is \(x^2-2xy+y^2\gt 0\)?

Is \((x-y)^2 \gt 0\)? Now, if \(x\) does not equal \(y\) the answer to this question will be YES, but if \(x=y\), then the answer will be NO, since in this case \((x-y)^2=0\).

(2) \(x\) and \(y\) do not share any common divisors except 1. If \(x=y=1\) then the answer is NO, but if \(x=1\) and \(y=2\), then the answer is YES. Not sufficient.

Hello Bunuel

At this step, Is \((x-y)^2 \gt 0\) ?
I went further and arrived at
Is \((x-y) \gt 0\) ?
--> Is \(x \gt y\) ?

Statement 1 says that x not equal to y
Thus x < y or x > y
Hence not sufficient

Statement 2 says that x and y donot share any common divisors except 1
So let x be 2, y be 3 x<y
OR
let x be 3, y be 2 x>y
Hence not sufficient

Option E

Please tell me what is wrong with my approach.
TIA!
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
ProfChaos wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Is \(x^2+y^2 \gt 2xy\)?

Is \(x^2-2xy+y^2\gt 0\)?

Hello Bunuel

At this step, Is \((x-y)^2 \gt 0\) ?
I went further and arrived at
Is \((x-y) \gt 0\) ?
--> Is \(x \gt y\) ?

Statement 1 says that x not equal to y
Thus x < y or x > y
Hence not sufficient

Statement 2 says that x and y donot share any common divisors except 1
So let x be 2, y be 3 x<y
OR
let x be 3, y be 2 x>y
Hence not sufficient

Option E

Please tell me what is wrong with my approach.
TIA!

The point is "is \((x-y)^2 \gt 0\)?" after taking the square root gives "is \(|x - y| > 0\)?" (recall that \(\sqrt{a^2}=|a|\)). So, \((x-y)^2 \gt 0\) even if x - y < 0, for example, if x - y = -2, then \((x-y)^2=4 \gt 0\). The only case when \((x-y)^2 \gt 0\) is not true is when x = y.

Hope its clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
rhnbansal wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Is \(x^2+y^2 \gt 2xy\)?

Is \(x^2-2xy+y^2\gt 0\)?

The point is that \(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\). So, if you take the square root from \((x-y)^2 \gt 0\) you'll get \(|x-y| \gt 0\), which is true for all values of x and y but the case when x = y (the same conclusion as we got in the solution).

Hi Buneul ,

Please correct my understanding here , as sqrt (x) = |x| . Here it would be |x-y|, doesnt it mean that x is not equal to y for x>0 and x<0 . Can we derive this from the stem , and hence S2 will also be sufficient ?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Magni03 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
rhnbansal wrote:

The point is that \(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\). So, if you take the square root from \((x-y)^2 \gt 0\) you'll get \(|x-y| \gt 0\), which is true for all values of x and y but the case when x = y (the same conclusion as we got in the solution).

Hi Buneul ,

Please correct my understanding here , as sqrt (x) = |x| . Here it would be |x-y|, doesnt it mean that x is not equal to y for x>0 and x<0 . Can we derive this from the stem , and hence S2 will also be sufficient ?

From the stem we only know that x and y are positive integers. NOTHING more.

(2) says that x and y are co-prime. So, for (2) we know that x and y are positive integers that are co-prime. The solution on page 1 gives an example: if \(x=y=1\) then the answer is NO (\(\frac{x}{y}+ \frac{y}{x}\) is NOT greater than 2), but if \(x=1\) and \(y=2\), then the answer is YES (\(\frac{x}{y}+ \frac{y}{x}\) IS greater than 2). Not sufficient.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have edited the question and the solution by adding more details to enhance its clarity. I hope it is now easier to understand.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts