GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 03:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M23-24

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
Reviews Badge
Re: M23-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 08:23
Hi All,

Must Known for GMAT,

IF YOU CAN DRAW THE FIGURE, IT MEANS THAT YOU KNOW ALL PROPERTIES

From Stem : \(width * length = 80\)

Statement 1 : \(width + length = 42\)

We have two equations, with two variables so we can solve and find the two sides : 40 and 2 ==> SUFFICIENT

Statement 2 : Shorter side is 2

So we have \(2 * length = 80\)
Therefore length = 40 and thus we can draw the figure and know all the angles. ==> SUFFICIENT

Answer D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 04:12
What does "angle between the diagonal of the rectangle and its longer side", can someone draw it out for me please?

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V29
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 08:30
dyg wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I found the lentgh of side but since they are 2 and 40 I thought we cant determine the angle. Now I got the point. I just wanna ask something to you. In geometry (generally) is it possible to find value of an angle if we know the lenght of the sides?

Hi,
Just to satisfy the query of many friends -
Knowing all the sides of a triangle helps in identifying the angle between any two sides. How : Here it follows:
Calculate the area using Heros Formula : Area= √s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c) where s = sum of all the sides / 2 and a,b,c are the length of the sides. ------ (1)
Also Area = 1/2 ab sinx where x is angle between side a and b. -----(2)
Equate (1) & (2) to extract the value of sinx or x.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Reviews Badge
Re M23-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 19:20
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. When we solve wstatement-1, we will get 2 values either (l,b) = (40,2) or (2,40), so accordingly angle will also be different. So, not sufficient. Answer must be option B. Kindly correct if I am wrong.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 02:55
mohitpoddar wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. When we solve wstatement-1, we will get 2 values either (l,b) = (40,2) or (2,40), so accordingly angle will also be different. So, not sufficient. Answer must be option B. Kindly correct if I am wrong.

We need to find the angle between the diagonal of the rectangle and its longer side. So, it does not matter whether it's (40,2) or (2,40). In any case we should find the angle between the diagonal and the side of length 40.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 10:21
1st Sufficient as Perimeter 2(L + B) = 84
L+B = 42
only possible values of L&B such that L+B=42 and L*B=40 is L=40 ,B=2

2nd Sufficient as shorter side = 2 , longer must be 40 to make L*B=80

OA D

If you want to appreciate, just click on Kudos.

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 03:03
Bunuel wrote:
If the area of a rectangle is 80, what is the angle between the diagonal of the rectangle and its longer side?

(1) The perimeter of the rectangle is 84

(2) The shorter side of the rectangle is 2

Area of rectangle = 80
Let length of rectangle = L
and breadth of rectangle = B
=> LB = 80

1. Perimeter =84
=> 2(L+B) = 84
=> L+B = 42
=> B = 42-L

Now , L* (42-L) = 80
=> L^2 - 42L +80 = 0
=> L^2 - 40L - 2L +80 = 0
=> (L-2)(L-40) = 0
=> L = 2 , 40
If Length = 2 , then breadth = 40 and vice versa

Now , diagonal can be calculated using Pythagoras theorem .
If we know sides of a triangle , we can calculate the angle using trigonometry.
Sufficient

(2) The shorter side of the rectangle is 2
Sufficient - same as B = 2 and L = 40

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 13:32
I like this Magoosh explanation in regards to determining the uniqueness of a triangle. In short, if we can determine unique values for SAS, SSS, and etc (see link for full list), then we can determine everything about a triangle since we are essentially breaking the problem down into two triangles.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-data ... nce-rules/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 04:11
Hi,

Statement 1 gives L=40 or 2 B= 2 or 40. Does not changing length and breadth impact the angle?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 04:15
Sanjay2043 wrote:
Hi,

Statement 1 gives L=40 or 2 B= 2 or 40. Does not changing length and breadth impact the angle?

Explained above:

We need to find the angle between the diagonal of the rectangle and its longer side. So, it does not matter whether it's (40,2) or (2,40). In any case we should find the angle between the diagonal and the side of length 40.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 01:16
Bunuel wrote:
dyg wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I found the lentgh of side but since they are 2 and 40 I thought we cant determine the angle. Now I got the point. I just wanna ask something to you. In geometry (generally) is it possible to find value of an angle if we know the lenght of the sides?

Yes, knowing the lengths of all the sides is enough to get the angels.

Hi Bunuel,

1. I guess this is true for parallelograms and polygons as well? That knowing the sides is enough to know the angles. I guess Yes , because if we actually start drawing it on paper, we will be able to measure the angles with a protractor?

2. Another question, what if it was a PS question and we actually have to find the angles. I know trigo so I can use that but how do you do it without trigo? Is the ratio of angles of a triangle equal to the ratio of opp sides in all cases?

..................................................................................................................
micro-level speed, macro-level patience | KUDOS for the post ,shall be appreciated the most

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 01:22
abhishek911 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
dyg wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Hi Bunuel,

1. I guess this is true for parallelograms and polygons as well? That knowing the sides is enough to know the angles. I guess Yes , because if we actually start drawing it on paper, we will be able to measure the angles with a protractor?

2. Another question, what if it was a PS question and we actually have to find the angles. I know trigo so I can use that but how do you do it without trigo? Is the ratio of angles of a triangle equal to the ratio of opp sides in all cases?

1. Yes, it's true for convex polygons.

2. For PS either you won't be asked such question or it would be special triangle involved (30-60-90, 45-45-90).

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 02:47
Sure. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

..................................................................................................................
micro-level speed, macro-level patience | KUDOS for the post ,shall be appreciated the most

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 22:31
from 1, what is the quick way to derive side lengths?
x + y = 42
x * y = 80

How do we get 40,2?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 07:51
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Statement (1) by itself is sufficient. We can find the sides of the rectangle (40 and 2).

Answer: D

how did you find this? Can't sides be fractions?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 07:55
sevenplusplus wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Statement (1) by itself is sufficient. We can find the sides of the rectangle (40 and 2).

Check here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-area-of- ... 57397.html

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 07:59
Bunuel wrote:
sevenplusplus wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Check here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-area-of- ... 57397.html

Thanks. As a general rule, can be assume:
If x + y and x * y both are integers, x & y will be integers?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 08:03
sevenplusplus wrote:

Thanks. As a general rule, can be assume:
If x + y and x * y both are integers, x & y will be integers?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

No. For example, x+y=3 and xy=1 but if you solve x and y turn out to be irrational numbers.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 03:17
Bunuel wrote:
dyg wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Could you please explain how?
Thank you very much
Director
Director
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 09:34
+1 for option D

" The few , the fearless "

Re: M23-24 &nbs [#permalink] 19 Mar 2018, 09:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

M23-24

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap