Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618837 [58]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618837 [25]
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618837 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: M26-13 [#permalink]
I arrange 5 red marbles in a row: -R-R-R-R-R- ( '-' is blank)
Anna want to arrange no two adjacent marbles are of the same color so I put remains in the blanks between red marbles.
Furthermore, the first and last marbles are of different colors, I cannot leave the blank between 2 reds then the blank is only at the first or the last position.
Case 1: I leave a blank at the first position so I have 5C2*3C2*1C1 ways to arrange remain marbles.
Case 2: I leave a blank at the last position so I have 5C2*3C2*1C1 ways to arrange remain marbles.
So I have 2*5C2*3C2*1C1=60 different arrangements are possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Anna has 10 marbles: 5 identical red, 2 identical blue, 2 identical green, and 1 yellow. She wants to arrange all of them in a row such that no two adjacent marbles are of the same color, and the first and last marbles are of different colors. How many different arrangements are possible?

A. 30
B. 60
C. 120
D. 240
E. 480

Seems tough and complicated, but if we read the stem carefully, we find that the only way both conditions can be met for the 5 red marbles, which are half of the total marbles, is that they can be arranged in only two ways: R*R*R*R*R* or *R*R*R*R*R.

Here comes the next good news: in these cases, BOTH conditions are met for all other marbles as well. No two adjacent marbles will be of the same color, and the first and the last marbles will be of different colors.

Now, it's easy: 2 blue, 2 green, and 1 yellow marble can be arranged in 5 empty slots in \(\frac{5!}{2!*2!}=30\) ways (this is the permutation of 5 letters BBGGY, out of which 2 B's and 2 G's are identical). Finally, as there are two cases (R*R*R*R*R* and *R*R*R*R*R), the total number of arrangements is \(30*2=60\).

Answer: B

Hello, why can't I do 10!/5!*2!*2!. Why is this method wrong?

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618837 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
horrorslive wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Anna has 10 marbles: 5 identical red, 2 identical blue, 2 identical green, and 1 yellow. She wants to arrange all of them in a row such that no two adjacent marbles are of the same color, and the first and last marbles are of different colors. How many different arrangements are possible?

A. 30
B. 60
C. 120
D. 240
E. 480

Seems tough and complicated, but if we read the stem carefully, we find that the only way both conditions can be met for the 5 red marbles, which are half of the total marbles, is that they can be arranged in only two ways: R*R*R*R*R* or *R*R*R*R*R.

Here comes the next good news: in these cases, BOTH conditions are met for all other marbles as well. No two adjacent marbles will be of the same color, and the first and the last marbles will be of different colors.

Now, it's easy: 2 blue, 2 green, and 1 yellow marble can be arranged in 5 empty slots in \(\frac{5!}{2!*2!}=30\) ways (this is the permutation of 5 letters BBGGY, out of which 2 B's and 2 G's are identical). Finally, as there are two cases (R*R*R*R*R* and *R*R*R*R*R), the total number of arrangements is \(30*2=60\).

Answer: B

Hello, why can't I do 10!/5!*2!*2!. Why is this method wrong?

­
10!/(5!*2!*2!) represents the number of arrangements of the marbles without considering the mentioned restrictions. 
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts