Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618865 [46]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618865 [16]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2724 [6]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618865 [4]
Send PM
Re: M27-11 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shasadou wrote:
"simultaneously" is fine but "independently" has confused me - why should we imply that they work on one and the same car but not on 2 identical cars simultaneously and independently?

the 1st para only sets the individual rates.

"Work simultaneously and independently" means that the they work on unique parts of the job (in this case, if one person paints the left side of the car, the other person WON'T ALSO paint the left side of the car). This is important to the math because the idea is that the entire car will be painted, but it will be done in the fastest way possible (with no duplicated work). It's the type of "legalese" that has to be included in the question, otherwise the correct answer could be debated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [3]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Given:
1. Bonnie takes x hrs to do a job
2. Clyde takes y hrs to do the same job
3. Both start independently at the same time- 9:45am
4. x and y are odd integers

to find: x=y ?

S1: \(x^2+y^2 \lt 12\)
Since we already know that x and y are Odd integers, there's not much left to check for in the above condition and since adding two squares will very soon pass such a small number as 12, we can do the manual work here-
x=1; y=1 => Yes (both equal and sum of squares less than 12)
x=1; y=3 => No (both unequal and still the sum of squares less than 12)

Hence NS

S2: Bonnie and Clyde complete the painting of the car at 10:30am
Quite straightforward.
Basically, they started at the same time and ended at the same time. Therefore, we can certainly infer that the time they took was same- \(x=y\)
Hence S

B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I approached the question this way:
1) clear

2)
Rate of Bonnie is 1/b, rate of Clyde 1/c. They work together at rate (b+c)/bc. And to paint a car it will take bc/(b+c) hours
as we know that they work for 3/4 hours, we can say bc/(b+c)=3/4. As we know b,c are odd integers, we can infer that b and c are 3 and 1, hence not the same
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Kudos
Perhaps another approach is via inversion: set x=y and check if question stem constraint that x and y are ODD integers holds.

(1)
Insufficient since x and y could be either same or different odd integers

(2)
T = xy/(y+x) = 3/4 hour

Let x=y=2n+1, i.e. representing an odd integer
Thus we have:

(2n+1)^2 / [2(2n+1)] = 3/4
-- cross multiply, reduce... --
16n^2 + 16n + 4 = 12n + 6
8n^2 + 2n - 1 = 0
(8n + 4)(n - 1/4) = 0
n1 = -1/2
n2 = 1/4

Plugging n1 & n2 back into x=y=2n+1 gives us x = 0 hours (invalid) or x = 1.5 hours (valid)
Therefore, if x=y, then x and y cannot both be odd integers according statement 2's parameters
(said another way, if x and y are both odd integers, then x cannot = y)
=> Sufficient
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
Kudos
Explanation of part B:

Given that both completed the work in 3/4 hours, we can write it as
1/x+1/y=1/(3/4)............(A)

Lets assume x=y ...........(B)

Using (A) and (B) we get x=3/2

However, from the question stem, x is an odd integer.

Therefore, our assumtion x=y is incorrect.

Correct answer B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Does "working simultaneously and independently" means working on the same job but at different parts of the job??

Also, per S2, we know both Bonnie and Clyde took 45 mins (3/4 of an hour) to complete the job.
So, x = y

Then, how come x is not equal to y??
Is it because clearly 3/4(0.75) is not an integer?
And its stated in the Q stem that x and y are odd integers??

Can you please elaborate on this?
Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618865 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
JIAA wrote:
Does "working simultaneously and independently" means working on the same job but at different parts of the job??

Also, per S2, we know both Bonnie and Clyde took 45 mins (3/4 of an hour) to complete the job.
So, x = y

Then, how come x is not equal to y??
Is it because clearly 3/4(0.75) is not an integer?
And its stated in the Q stem that x and y are odd integers??

Can you please elaborate on this?
Thanks

1. Working simultaneously and independently, means that they work on different parts of the job. For example, one is painting the front and another the back of the car. This ensure that their works does not overlap and they do the job in fastest way possible.

2. When analysing the stem we got that IF \(x=y\), then the total time would be: \(\frac{odd}{2}\): 0.5 hours, 1.5 hours, 2.5 hours, ... From (2) we got that they complete the job in \(\frac{3}{4}\) of an hour (45 minutes). Is \(\frac{3}{4}\) of an hour (45 minutes), \(\frac{odd}{2}\) hours: 0.5 hours, 1.5 hours, 2.5 hours, ... ? No, thus x does not equal y.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
I think the wording is bad.

In Quant every word should be crystal clear. Since we have a Verbal section full dedicated on "understanding", a Quant question (especially if it is kind of a Word Problem) should not mean different for each person. It should not test you on understanding the MEANING of a WORD, but on understanding the LOGIC BEHIND a WORD.

When you write, "simultaneosly and independently" I understood they paint separate cars. I saw the explanation above, but still, I believe in an Official question the wording would be much clear.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
higuyi wrote:
I think the wording is bad.

In Quant every word should be crystal clear. Since we have a Verbal section full dedicated on "understanding", a Quant question (especially if it is kind of a Word Problem) should not mean different for each person. It should not test you on understanding the MEANING of a WORD, but on understanding the LOGIC BEHIND a WORD.

When you write, "simultaneosly and independently" I understood they paint separate cars. I saw the explanation above, but still, I believe in an Official question the wording would be much clear.

The wording is fine.

Check Official Guide question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/three-machin ... 43489.html

Three machines, K, M, and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete a certain task in 24 minutes. How long does it take Machine K, working alone at its constant rate, to complete the task?

(1) Machines M and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete the task in 36 minutes.
(2) Machines K and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete the task in 48 minutes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Can someone explain the second statement please? they completed the job in 3/4 hours this is understood. What does this mean since it's not odd/2 then x and y are not equal. ? Bunuel please help thanks :)
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gmat98995 wrote:
Can someone explain the second statement please? they completed the job in 3/4 hours this is understood. What does this mean since it's not odd/2 then x and y are not equal. ? Bunuel please help thanks :)

From the stem we concluded that IF x = y, then the total time would be (x hours)/2 = (odd hours)/2 (since given that x is odd). (odd hours)/2 means the total time would be 0.5 hours, 1.5 hours, 2.5 hours, ... (2) says that the total time is 3/4 hours. 3/4 hours is NOT in the form of (odd hours)/2, so x does not equal to y.

Hope it's clear.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have edited the question and the solution by adding more details to enhance its clarity. I hope it is now easier to understand.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts