GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 11:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Feb 2019
Posts: 26
M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 20:09
Is there any indirect entry to M7 for popular celebs and their families?

I have seen a lot of celebs doing their degree from M7 B schools despite having avg/below avg profiles

For Example,

Mukesh Ambani MBA from Stanford
Anil Ambani MBA from Wharton
Chandrababu Naidu's son Lokesh from Stanford
Chandrababu Naidu's Daughter In Law Brahmini from Stanford


If there are indirect entries allowed and people can get in there as recommendation candidates, I definitely value India's Top Universities both undergrad and MBA which admit purely on merit basis.

Can someone throw light on this

Thanks
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18387
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 21:32
2
1
Applications are evaluated as a comprehensive package. It adds to the class diversity to have a son/daughter of a president in the class... it is not all about numbers. It’s about the value an individual brings to the class - pro athletes and performance artists have also been considered highly sought after individuals by adcom. Would you fault HBS for admitting Lionel Messi or Lady Gaga with a gmat 600? It is possible to compensate for a deficiency.

These are strategic admit decisions as they have a very long lasting impact on the school relationship with that family, country, industry, etc.

PS. It is not common for bschool and more of a college thing but if both parents went to the school, and now are serious donors to a school and active in the alum community, and doing a lot for the school, the adcom will have to think twice before they ding the applicant. And if it is a top school, the differences between applicants are very very minute. And while the adcom may still ding them, the rejection letter and message will be delivered very differently. It is a tough job that business schools and colleges have when figuring out the admit decisions. Nobody likes nepotism or favors or injustice but sometimes the good outweighs the bad.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 3062
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 21:53
1
Anirudddh wrote:
If there are indirect entries allowed and people can get in there as recommendation candidates, I definitely value India's Top Universities both undergrad and MBA which admit purely on merit basis.
To add to bb 's point, there are candidates that any school would want to have as a student, irrespective of what put them on the trajectory that they are on. For example, some schools use (part of) the resources (connections, money) that certain students bring, or will bring, to (partly) fund scholarships that make it possible for students who would otherwise not be able to afford quality education get such an education. I'm not saying that this is right (or wrong) or that you don't have a point. It's just that this is not as straightforward as you might think.

If a school has to be "above" all of this, it must be funded to such an extent that it is completely free to do the best that it can without any constraints. Sometimes the government plays that role, but that money comes from somewhere (taxpayers). And as an IIM graduate (you mentioned India), I can tell you that being completely funded by the government comes with its own headaches.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Feb 2019
Posts: 26
Re: M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 03:38
1
bb wrote:
Applications are evaluated as a comprehensive package. It adds to the class diversity to have a son/daughter of a president in the class... it is not all about numbers. It’s about the value an individual brings to the class - pro athletes and performance artists have also been considered highly sought after individuals by adcom. Would you fault HBS for admitting Lionel Messi or Lady Gaga with a gmat 600? It is possible to compensate for a deficiency.

These are strategic admit decisions as they have a very long lasting impact on the school relationship with that family, country, industry, etc.

PS. It is not common for bschool and more of a college thing but if both parents went to the school, and now are serious donors to a school and active in the alum community, and doing a lot for the school, the adcom will have to think twice before they ding the applicant. And if it is a top school, the differences between applicants are very very minute. And while the adcom may still ding them, the rejection letter and message will be delivered very differently. It is a tough job that business schools and colleges have when figuring out the admit decisions. Nobody likes nepotism or favors or injustice but sometimes the good outweighs the bad.

Posted from my mobile device


Lionelle Messi and Lady Gaga have their own independent image. They have worked hard from scratch...
The problem that I am talking about is regarding inheritors. Some X guy got admitted just because he is son of a popular celeb etc etc
The Institute and its Alum who feel it prestigious will lose their own value sitting beside Son/Daughter of some popular celeb who is not worthy enough
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Oct 2017
Posts: 73
M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 20:42
Anirudddh wrote:
Is there any indirect entry to M7 for popular celebs and their families?

I have seen a lot of celebs doing their degree from M7 B schools despite having avg/below avg profiles

For Example,

Mukesh Ambani MBA from Stanford
Anil Ambani MBA from Wharton
Chandrababu Naidu's son Lokesh from Stanford
Chandrababu Naidu's Daughter In Law Brahmini from Stanford


If there are indirect entries allowed and people can get in there as recommendation candidates, I definitely value India's Top Universities both undergrad and MBA which admit purely on merit basis.

Can someone throw light on this

Thanks


I too have the same doubt but haven't got any answers.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18387
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 21:57
I would say that in the US this is in the noise category in terms of how frequently it happens or how much impact it has on the candidates without extraordinary circumstances.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 3062
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 22:10
bb wrote:
I would say that in the US this is in the noise category in terms of how frequently it happens or how much impact it has on the candidates without extraordinary circumstances.
Also, the OP might be interested in articles like this one.
_________________
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1533
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 00:07
Hi Anirudh, I am sure you would agree that b-schools would want to admit students with the most potential for success.

With success increasingly becoming a factor of whom you know than what you know, I am sure you would appreciate that all these inheritors can rightfully claim admission in the whom you know category:).
_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2019, 00:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M7-Ivy Indirect Entry ??? Ambani's Sons, AP CM Chandrababu Naidu Son

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne