Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: M7 VS TOP 15 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
whymba909 wrote:
Will career opportunities drastically change if i don’t attend M7 schools? Personally, I want to get into consulting. When I look at Kellogg’s employment report, I see greater number of students getting into top tier firms (MBB) than students from Fuqua/Ross. That being said, I think schools can only provide interview opportunity at these firms and it is upto us to make use of that.
Do you think it is reasonable to reapply next year to a M7 school when I already have an admit from Fuqua/Ross ? A part of me wants to attend an ultra elite school and the other part says that Fuqua/Ross will provide me with similar opportunities. What is your take on this?
On a different note, do you think the quality of student body differs drastically between Kellogg and Fuqua?

Look at this problem less from prestige of school, but what will you potential gain/risk by delaying start of MBA by 1 year for a potential at a better school.

Gain:
* Bragging right of attending Kellogg vs. Fuqua/Ross.
* More work experience, which may translate into better job opportunity post graduation. Every year of business related experience makes you much more savvy in navigating corporate politics. The difference between these school's ranking has minimal impact on your ability to get placed (all things equal).
* Potentially getting into higher ranked school.

Risk:
* Worst job market at graduation. Let's face it, 4 years from now, we are likely to be staring at a economic correction. Not to say the chances are lower in 3 years (matriculate 2018, graduate 2020).
* More competitive b-school market. Admission is based as much as supply & demand, as it is on candidate quality. I remember it was ridiculously difficult to get into top tier school during the great recession, because everyone (laid off bankers, etc.) were all applying to b-school. Acceptance back into Fuqua/Ross after you turn them down will be more difficult, because schools do play the yield management game.
* Life changes make you less suited for M/B/B. If you get married, or have kids, it's really tough to manage any consulting lifestyle as an entry-level consultant. Employers can't discriminate on age, but make no-doubt, it's considered.

Other Points:
Better students? Maybe, depending on how you measure student quality. You are thinking better students = better academics; my opinion is that the academic experience is probably very similar. You may even get better teaching at smaller top 25 schools than at bigger elite school. If you are thinking better students = better connection = better alumni, that's more likely true. The caveat is the alumni willingness to help current students. Also, connection your can leverage with your classmate depends on your true inner circle of friends who will pull for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: M7 VS TOP 15 [#permalink]
asimov wrote:
whymba909 wrote:
Will career opportunities drastically change if i don’t attend M7 schools? Personally, I want to get into consulting. When I look at Kellogg’s employment report, I see greater number of students getting into top tier firms (MBB) than students from Fuqua/Ross. That being said, I think schools can only provide interview opportunity at these firms and it is upto us to make use of that.
Do you think it is reasonable to reapply next year to a M7 school when I already have an admit from Fuqua/Ross ? A part of me wants to attend an ultra elite school and the other part says that Fuqua/Ross will provide me with similar opportunities. What is your take on this?
On a different note, do you think the quality of student body differs drastically between Kellogg and Fuqua?

Look at this problem less from prestige of school, but what will you potential gain/risk by delaying start of MBA by 1 year for a potential at a better school.

Gain:
* Bragging right of attending Kellogg vs. Fuqua/Ross.
* More work experience, which may translate into better job opportunity post graduation. Every year of business related experience makes you much more savvy in navigating corporate politics. The difference between these school's ranking has minimal impact on your ability to get placed (all things equal).
* Potentially getting into higher ranked school.

Risk:
* Worst job market at graduation. Let's face it, 4 years from now, we are likely to be staring at a economic correction. Not to say the chances are lower in 3 years (matriculate 2018, graduate 2020).
* More competitive b-school market. Admission is based as much as supply & demand, as it is on candidate quality. I remember it was ridiculously difficult to get into top tier school during the great recession, because everyone (laid off bankers, etc.) were all applying to b-school. Acceptance back into Fuqua/Ross after you turn them down will be more difficult, because schools do play the yield management game.
* Life changes make you less suited for M/B/B. If you get married, or have kids, it's really tough to manage any consulting lifestyle as an entry-level consultant. Employers can't discriminate on age, but make no-doubt, it's considered.

Other Points:
Better students? Maybe, depending on how you measure student quality. You are thinking better students = better academics; my opinion is that the academic experience is probably very similar. You may even get better teaching at smaller top 25 schools than at bigger elite school. If you are thinking better students = better connection = better alumni, that's more likely true. The caveat is the alumni willingness to help current students. Also, connection your can leverage with your classmate depends on your true inner circle of friends who will pull for you.

Great points. I also think that delaying your next career move by a year is very costly from a lifetime value perspective. Going to business school one year later means delaying your post-school plans by a year, including your potential retirement. A year of your life is something you can never get back. If you think you should go to business school, go to business school early.

If you're MBB material, wherever you go you will be MBB material. The average student will be different, but you yourself won't. The advantage in going to a better school is you're surrounded by smarter, more accomplished individuals in general, an experience that may affect your inspirations and aspirations. That said, Fuqua is just as good as an M7 school. Not quite sure about Ross though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
M7 VS TOP 15 [#permalink]
CreatingValue wrote:
I went through the recruiting process last year and will add a few points. Purely comparing employment numbers ie how many people got men jobs isn’t quite accurate protrayal for career opportunities at MBB for several reasons:
1) Fuqua places into southern regional MBB offices eg Atlanta, which are generally smaller offices with less rainmaking partners and consultants work on less attractive projects. NYC, SF, Chi are typically the best offices and these seats are mostly filled by M7 candidates.
2) I don’t know, but I think an important question to ask is how many of the Fuqua placements are into less desirable roles like implementation or operations groups compared to the more desirable strategy consulting groups
3) MBB partnerships are almost exclusively (not entirely) comprised of M7 (but particularly HBS, Wharton, and Kellogg). Having this built-in network is highly advantageous for building relationships, staffings, and career advancement.

Having said all that, reapplying has significant risks and costs. At the end of the day, an Atlanta-based operations consultant earns as much as nyc based strategy consultant, but if you’re gunning for a very competitive office, the path from Fuqua may be challenging

What bothers me the most is that every student seems to defend their school and won't even share what they don't like about their school. A Ross student(my friend), told me that most of their students work in Chicago offices!
I started to understand that MBA selection process is not purely meritorious and several factors like diversity come into play. I think it would be foolish for companies to hire only at M7 schools assuming that they have better intellectual horsepower/leadership skills. My numerous conversations with students from Kellogg and Ross solidified that belief. That being said, I can clearly see the culture difference between Kellogg and Ross. My visit to Ross gave me an impression that students tend to hangout within their own cultural groups ( Asians hanging out with Asians, Indians with Indians etc), I may be wrong though.
GMAT Club Bot
M7 VS TOP 15 [#permalink]