Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618860 [29]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [17]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
Send PM
Re: Madagascar was one of the last habitable areas of the earth to undergo [#permalink]
Some problem with OA, even though I agree, E, as a choice, makes more sense than any other.

(E) Because Madagascar was one of the last habitable areas of the earth to undergo human settlement, it is

it is supposed to refer to a noun, so human settlement /earth / or Madagascar? which one are we talking about here?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Madagascar was one of the last habitable areas of the earth to undergo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ueh55406 wrote:
Some problem with OA, even though I agree, E, as a choice, makes more sense than any other.

(E) Because Madagascar was one of the last habitable areas of the earth to undergo human settlement, it is

it is supposed to refer to a noun, so human settlement /earth / or Madagascar? which one are we talking about here?

Hi ueh55406, pronoun it is indeed ambiguous here.

In case of pronoun ambiguity, application of following rule often comes in handy:

Pronoun-subject in one clause can be presumed to refer to noun-subject of another clause.

The two clauses here are:

i) Because Madagascar was one of the last habitable areas of the earth to undergo human settlement - Madagascar is the noun-subject

ii) it is an ideal site for researching rare flora and fauna - it is the pronoun-subject

So, it refers to Madagascar. So, despite the ambiguity, this will be considered a valid construct.

Having said that, it's worth noting that pronoun ambiguity should not be the only reason to eliminate an answer choice.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Pronoun ambiguity, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Madagascar was one of the last habitable areas of the earth to undergo [#permalink]
In option A ,which modifies "Human Settlement". This construction creates an erroneous meaning, The sentence suggests that "human settlement made it ideal to study Madagascar". The clearly is not the intended meaning.

In option B the usage of "that" is not correct. That should be immediately followed by a noun.

In option C ,which modifies the earth. This construction creates an erroneous meaning, The sentence suggests that "Earth made it ideal to study Madagascar". The clearly is not the intended meaning.

In option D The meaning conveyed by this option is that the reason my Madagascar is ideal to be studied is that Madagascar underwent human settlement. This is also clearly not the intended meaning

we are left with option E which conveys the actual meaning

Hope this reasoning helps :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts