Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Re: Mannheim MiM (MMM) 2020 Intake: Calling all applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
iMasonGmat wrote:
Hi all,

I've been pondering about the possibility of getting accepted to the English track of this program given my profile. Hence, if anyone could provide me with insights, I would be much obliged!

Bachelor's: Senior at a Business Administration program lectured in English at one of the most established universities in Turkey.

CGPA: 3.86/4.00

Internship: 1-month Assurance internship at KPMG.

GMAT: 640 (Q48, V30); AWA: 5.5; IR: 7 (Screwed up the exam, especially the Verbal section, due to sickness)

Study Abroad: 6 months of Erasmus at a Hochschule in Germany + Summer School in Finance at the LSE

Additional: Volunteered in a municipal project for the elderly for one semester; Student representative for the department; CFA Challenge national finalist

Any thoughts on how my application to the English track would fare?

Thanks a lot!

You have a good profile. However GMAT might be an issue. 650 would have been safe. But nonetheless, you should try for it.
Just a quick question. Why don't you go for MFin?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Prateekj05 wrote:
You have a good profile. However GMAT might be an issue. 650 would have been safe. But nonetheless, you should try for it.

I assume the probability of me getting accepted falls short of +75%, so I would rather retake the exam since my scores on Official GMAT Prep Tests ranged from 700 to 740.

To answer your question, although I would like to get involved with finance as much as possible, I failed to find an English-instructed MSc in Finance in Germany. Given all English programs in Business, I hope to enroll in Mannheim's MMM since it provides several courses on Banking and Finance, as well as a few courses on Risk.

Frankly, I didn't think the names of degrees would matter until you pointed it out. Would M.Sc. in Management or in Finance differ from one another that much if one can take quant/fin/econ courses in the former?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
iMasonGmat wrote:
Prateekj05 wrote:

I assume the probability of me getting accepted falls short of +75%, so I would rather retake the exam since my scores on Official GMAT Prep Tests ranged from 700 to 740.

To answer your question, although I would like to get involved with finance as much as possible, I failed to find an English-instructed MSc in Finance in Germany. Given all English programs in Business, I hope to enroll in Mannheim's MMM since it provides several courses on Banking and Finance, as well as a few courses on Risk.

Frankly, I didn't think the names of degrees would matter until you pointed it out. Would M.Sc. in Management or in Finance differ from one another that much if one can take quant/fin/econ courses in the former?

Are you only targeting universities in Germany? Frankfurt school of finance and management offers a program for Mfin with English as the language of instruction.

I was just suggesting because you have quite some experience in finance and it would make much sense for you to go for MFin. You mostly get entry level positions after MiM. Even I want to work in finance but I have a background in engineering. I am mostly interested in applying to specialized masters in management programs but there are only a few colleges that offer. Although you can take up electives, but you won't be studying all the subjects in finance. You'll have to pick a few of them. Plus I think MFin will attract more job opportunities and you will get core profiles.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Prateekj05 wrote:
iMasonGmat wrote:
Prateekj05 wrote:

Are you only targeting universities in Germany? Frankfurt school of finance and management offers a program for Mfin with English as the language of instruction.

I was just suggesting because you have quite some experience in finance and it would make much sense for you to go for MFin. You mostly get entry level positions after MiM. Even I want to work in finance but I have a background in engineering. I am mostly interested in applying to specialized masters in management programs but there are only a few colleges that offer. Although you can take up electives, but you won't be studying all the subjects in finance. You'll have to pick a few of them. Plus I think MFin will attract more job opportunities and you will get core profiles.

You got it right that I only target German universities. I will also dig deeper into MFin programs from now on; thanks for helping me think it through. Indeed you have a point there regarding courses in management programs and finance programs. Surely delving deeper into financial theory in a finance program would equip one better for a finance position.

As for your engineering background, I am sure you would be quick to pick up finance in either management or finance program due to its embeddedness in the quantitative foundations. Would love to disscuss schools further with you in application periods, too. Good luck in advance! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for your kind words and the encouragement. You should definitely take a look at French schools. ESCP and ESSEC are really amazing for MFin. And you can also go for London, since you have some experience over there as well. But nobody knows how it's gonna be like post Brexit. But a degree from top schools in the UK is revered all across the world and the prospects of getting a good profile increases :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I know this is an old post, but I would love to get some feedback on my profile.

University: Hanyang University (Top 5 univesity in South Korea) Bachelor of Arts, International Studies (Intl. Business & Management Track)
GPA: 3.75/4.5 or 3.43/4.0 or 92.4 (A 100-Point Scale)
GRE: Quantitative - 163 Verbal - 159 (according to Mannheim's website this equates to a 670 GMAT score)
Internship: Brooklyn Nets NBA Basketball Team (6 months, Full-time in operations department)
Semester Abroad: N/A
Military Service: 2 years (Don't know if this would help or not)

I have no idea how this would be scored but from what someone mentioned earlier in the post it seems it would be 45 for GPA, 21 for GRE and 6 for internship = 72 points, which I think would be sketchy. Let me know if I'm right or wrong.

I'm trying to go to Germany because I want to work in the motorsport/automobile industry (hence the internship at a sports team) and also no tuition fees.

I thought of applying to EBS Master in Automotive Management, but the school is going downhill from the what I've heard and found out, so Mannheim instead.

Also, I'm retaking the GRE soon because I messed up the Quantitative.

Please feel free to bash me with negative (might as well be blunt and frank) or hopefully positive comments!

Thanks everyone in advance!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
phoenix1694 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I know this is an old post, but I would love to get some feedback on my profile.

University: Hanyang University (Top 5 univesity in South Korea) Bachelor of Arts, International Studies (Intl. Business & Management Track)
GRE: Quantitative - 163 Verbal - 159 (according to Mannheim's website this equates to a 670 GMAT score)
Internship: Brooklyn Nets NBA Basketball Team (6 months, Full-time in operations department)

I have no idea how this would be scored but from what someone mentioned earlier in the post it seems it would be 45 for GPA, 21 for GRE and 6 for internship = 72 points, which I think would be sketchy. Let me know if I'm right or wrong.

I'm trying to go to Germany because I want to work in the motorsport/automobile industry (hence the internship at a sports team) and also no tuition fees.

I thought of applying to EBS Master in Automotive Management, but the school is going downhill from the what I've heard and found out, so Mannheim instead.

Please feel free to bash me with negative (might as well be blunt and frank) or hopefully positive comments!

Hey!
First of all I know how competitive it is to get into a university in South Korea! So props to you for that!
I'm no expert, but one thing that I've come to know is that if you want to work in Germany, fluency of German language is a must. Atleast B1.
Your profile is good, but what you want to do is pretty niche. I'd say that UK is the best place if you want to work in Motorsports/Automobile industry as the UK universities have great connects with companies like Mclaren and Jaguar Land Rover. Most of the formula 1 teams (Like Red bull racing/Force India/Mercedes AMG etc) have their HQ in UK and they recruit students. But that would be a big gamble considering the Brexit issue and post study visa that has always been controversial.
If you can afford taking a risk, I would say UK is a better option in your case.
I would suggest you to try looking for people with a similar interest on LinkedIn. Narrow your search and talk to them before taking any step. That would atleast give you some idea.
Good Luck!

If my answer helped you in any way, please give me kudos! Thanks :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Prateekj05 wrote:
phoenix1694 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hey!
First of all I know how competitive it is to get into a university in South Korea! So props to you for that!
I'm no expert, but one thing that I've come to know is that if you want to work in Germany, fluency of German language is a must. Atleast B1.
Your profile is good, but what you want to do is pretty niche. I'd say that UK is the best place if you want to work in Motorsports/Automobile industry as the UK universities have great connects with companies like Mclaren and Jaguar Land Rover. Most of the formula 1 teams (Like Red bull racing/Force India/Mercedes AMG etc) have their HQ in UK and they recruit students. But that would be a big gamble considering the Brexit issue and post study visa that has always been controversial.
If you can afford taking a risk, I would say UK is a better option in your case.
I would suggest you to try looking for people with a similar interest on LinkedIn. Narrow your search and talk to them before taking any step. That would atleast give you some idea.
Good Luck!

Thanks you for the kind words and encouragement.

I'm well aware of the motorsport industry being strong in the UK so I'm also applying to LBS MiM and Imperial Msc in Strategic Marketing. I'm only applying to Mannheim because of its relatively cheaper costs of living and its close proximity to Hyundai Motorsport, which is my dream job/company.

Based on my profile do you think I have a chance to get into Mannheim or any other schools? If not, do you think an improved GMAT of 700 or so would be enough to be accepted?

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [0]
Send PM
phoenix1694 wrote:
Prateekj05 wrote:
phoenix1694 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hey!
Good Luck!

Thanks you for the kind words and encouragement.

I'm well aware of the motorsport industry being strong in the UK so I'm also applying to LBS MiM and Imperial Msc in Strategic Marketing. I'm only applying to Mannheim because of its relatively cheaper costs of living and its close proximity to Hyundai Motorsport, which is my dream job/company.

Based on my profile do you think I have a chance to get into Mannheim or any other schools? If not, do you think an improved GMAT of 700 or so would be enough to be accepted?

Thank you!

I think you have a fair shot. Diversity in terms of nationality and background will work in favour of you. GMAT isn't a sole factor while judging you, but a strong GMAT score helps. 700 will be great. Your GPA is quite good and your military service will also help. Just reflect all the learnings in your essays and connect with how you can contribute to the university if accepted. Tell them how passionate you are and how this particular course will help you reach your dream.

I'm pretty sure you'll get in if you hit all the right notes!
Good Luck! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys,

I am seeking to apply for the German track of this programme, coming from a German university of applied science. Just did my GMAT a few days ago, rather underachieving with a 630. I prepared in the evenings after work and struggled a bit during the exam in the Quant section. I will probably apply anyway, see if it works out. Anyone else out there applying right now?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ak4031,
Mannheim is counted amongst the top 3 schools of Germany, so the competition is bound to be tough.
Firstly, the school requires a business UG as well as a Minimum of 600 GMAT.
Since you have a business background, you are eligible to apply. I would suggest you to atleast aim for a 660+ score to increase the competitiveness of your profile.
So while Mannheim seems more of a dream school right now, I would be able to estimate correctly only if I have more details about your profile ( extra-curriculars, achievements,etc).
You can take up a profile evaluation here so that I can share an in-depth analysis: https://mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gcf
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Could anyone evaluate my profile for Masters in Management program at Mannheim university for English Track?

Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering
CGPA: 86.7/100
GRE: 315(Q166,V149) [GMAT equivalence: 630, converted from university website]
IELTS: 7.5
Work-ex: 5 years as a Associate Consultant in a leading IT service company - Fortune 500 (1 year in Germany, 1 year in the US and the rest in India)

Please suggest me about my chances and also if GRE/GMAT re-take is required. Well, due to bachelor in Engineering I lack 36 ECTS in the area of Management (at maximum it's 20). Do I stand a chance at all ?

Thank you for your valued suggestions in advance.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
mohitkaushik777 wrote:
Please provide a profile evaluation for MMM:
Bachelor's : 77.8%
3 internships
GMAT : 730
No semester abroad

Posted from my mobile device

Hey there,
Judging from the details you’ve mentioned, you have a pretty good GMAT score which is sure to play to your advantage and increase your chances of acceptance. On the other hand, your GPA seems to be on the lower side which as per the competition can weigh your profile down. However, a low GPA can always be compensated for through a well-written essay application that highlights other aspects of your profile whilst providing a valid explanation for the sinking score. Here, you could highlight the extracurricular activities you partook in which resulted in the holistic growth of your personality, an exceptional profile trait ad-coms are on the hunt for. International experience adds weightage to your profile, however the lack of the same is not a deal breaker. So highlight other profile strengths and you should be fine.
While having 3 internships is a plus point, what adcoms are really interested in what you did during those experiences. So the brand, internship duration and strong data points about your key learnings and achievements during those internships would matter here.

As far as Mannheim Masters in Management is concerned, it is a Public University so the competition is bound to be a bit tough here.
If you would like to check out your chances at Mannheim, you can check out our review page here and take up a profile evaluation over there : https://www.mim-essay.com/mannheim-mim-review/?gcf

Good luck :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

Could you please evaluate my profile for Mannheim MiM - 2020 intake.
- Indian female.
- German GPA:2.41 (CGPA 7.89/10) - B.Tech
- GMAT:730 (V42, Q48)
- Active in terms of volunteering and club activities and other extra-curriculars in college.
- I have presented a paper at an international conference
- Almost 2 year work exp as a developer at an MNC in financial services.
-During B.Tech I took courses on financial management, operations research, marketing management, financial engineering, advanced operations research etc.
Wouldn't that count for the ECTS requirement?
Novice at German

I am not sure what will and what won't help my application so posting what I believe could be relevant. Please help.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am a chemical Engineer from India
CGPA 8.4/10
GMAT 730
IELTS 7.0

My main question is i don't have 36 ECTS Business Administration so as a engineer i do i obtain them to get into Mannheim MiM??
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Those who already applied or planning to apply to MMM program, could you guys please submit your responses on the following button? It will help us consolidate applicant stats and display them in the form of data tables. Thank you!

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
mohitkaushik777 wrote:
Please provide a profile evaluation for MMM:
Bachelor's : 77.8%
3 internships
GMAT : 730
No semester abroad

Posted from my mobile device

Hi there,

Well, considering your academic and GMAT scores, your profile looks pretty decent.
Don't worry too much about no international experience- While applicants with international exposure have a competitive advantage, you can compensate for it via other aspects of your profile.

Your chances look decent for Manheim (would put it under competitivecatagory) but I would still advise you to target 2-3 more schools to maximize your selection chances into some top Programs.

For more insights into your profile strengths and weaknesses and to know which other schools you can target, I would suggest you to sign up for a FREE profile evaluation via the link below:
https://www.mim-essay.com/login?gcf
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Please Evaluate my profile:
Indian Male
Undergrad uni: University of Texas At Arlington, USA.
Undergrad degree: BSc Information Systems (meets and exceeds the business ECTS requirements), GPA - 3.46/4.00 (1.8)
GMAT: 720 (Q: 49, V: 40, IR: 7, AWA: 5.5)
Internships: None
Work Ex: None
Study Abroad: 1 Semester (BI Norwegian Business School, Oslo, Norway).
Leadership Roles: Held leadership roles in an international fraternity (Delta Sigma Pi - Zeta Mu chapter), Started a successful sports club from scratch at the university.
Additional: Various on-campus part-time job experience for 2 years as a student.

I applied as soon as the portal was open on the 1st of May 2020.

Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts