GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 17:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Manufacturers sometimes discount the price of a product to

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: Manufacturers sometimes discount the price of a product to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 01:27
why D is correct?

the manufacturer think that the retailers will pass the discount to customers and customers will buy more product, increasing profit substantially

D prove that the case is not like the case the manufacturer think. the retailer keep the discounted goods and sell latter , making the promotion unprofitable.

CR test us logic but we need to read very well to think in English. for non native, learning gmat is relearning of english more than learning gmat. this simple thinking gives you success on gmat.
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 03:51
Top Contributor
thangvietnam wrote:
why D is correct?

the manufacturer think that the retailers will pass the discount to customers and customers will buy more product, increasing profit substantially

D prove that the case is not like the case the manufacturer think. the retailer keep the discounted goods and sell latter , making the promotion unprofitable.

Hello Dear,

I've read the the answer choice differently than you.I believe it's worth sharing with you.

IMO,Correct Answer D supports the claim about the manufacturers' profit by indicating that even though manufacturers increase their profit with their promotional approach,manufacturers can increase their profit even more without their promotional offerings,by which actually the retailers make more money than the manufacturers.

Thanks

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 10:21
D is correct.

Reasoning: During promotion periods, manufacturers discount prices and dramatically increase the amount of product sold to retailers. However, manufacturers might make more profit without the promotions.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 06:43
Quote:
Manufacturers sometimes discount the price of a product to retailers for a promotion period when the product is advertised to consumers. Such promotions often results in a dramatic increase in amount of product sold by the manufacturers to retailers. Nevertheless, the manufacturers could often make more profit by not holding the promotion.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the claim above about the manufacturer's profit?

A. The amount of discount generally offered by manufacturers to retailers is carefully calculated to represent the minimum needed to draw consumer's attention to the product.
B. For many consumer products the period of advertising discounted prices to consumers is about a week, not sufficiently long for consumers to become used to the sale price.
C. For products that are not newly introduced, the purpose of such promotions is to keep the product in the minds of consumers and to attract consumers who are currently using competing products.
D. During such a promotion retailers tend to accumulate in their warehouses inventory bought at discount; they then sell much of it later at their regular price.
E. If a manufacturer fails to offer such promotions but its competitor offers them, that competitor will tend to attract consumers away from the manufacturer's product.

Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,

I think i must miss something on B , but i have no idea what's my problem, please help to clarify
B. For many consumer products the period of advertising discounted prices to consumers is about a week, not sufficiently long for consumers to become used to the sale price.
If the duration of promotion is so short that customers have not yet realised the sale price, then they possible to buy commidities at a regualr price ,which is higher than sale price, then it is apparent to increase the revenues of manufacture,

Does B mean supportable ?

Thanks in advance

Have a nice day

>_~
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 08:09
Edit: This discussion has retired. Find the new thread HERE

zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:
Manufacturers sometimes discount the price of a product to retailers for a promotion period when the product is advertised to consumers. Such promotions often results in a dramatic increase in amount of product sold by the manufacturers to retailers. Nevertheless, the manufacturers could often make more profit by not holding the promotion.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the claim above about the manufacturer's profit?

A. The amount of discount generally offered by manufacturers to retailers is carefully calculated to represent the minimum needed to draw consumer's attention to the product.
C. For products that are not newly introduced, the purpose of such promotions is to keep the product in the minds of consumers and to attract consumers who are currently using competing products.
D. During such a promotion retailers tend to accumulate in their warehouses inventory bought at discount; they then sell much of it later at their regular price.
E. If a manufacturer fails to offer such promotions but its competitor offers them, that competitor will tend to attract consumers away from the manufacturer's product.

Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,

I think i must miss something on B , but i have no idea what's my problem, please help to clarify
If the duration of promotion is so short that customers have not yet realised the sale price, then they possible to buy commidities at a regualr price ,which is higher than sale price, then it is apparent to increase the revenues of manufacture,

Does B mean supportable ?

Thanks in advance

Have a nice day

>_~

zoezhuyan, this thread is now retired. I replied to your question in the new thread. Thanks!

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

www.gmatninja.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Manufacturers sometimes discount the price of a product to &nbs [#permalink] 20 Mar 2018, 08:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 45 posts ] 

Manufacturers sometimes discount the price of a product to

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap