Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618706 [2]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [1]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB'22
Send PM
Many believe that Italian eggplants are the most popular among gardene [#permalink]
Kudos
kntombat wrote:
mohitgulia, option E only states that 3 types of eggplant plants are sold in the United States, from this option we do not know whether they are popular with the gardeners or not

kntombat if you only have 3 varieties then 1 variety holds 25% then in the remaining 2 atleast 1 will hold more than 25% so how can italian egg plant be more popular . so this weakens the conclusion so this is the right answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Many believe that Italian eggplants are the most popular among gardene [#permalink]
Kudos
Rajakashyap wrote:
kntombat wrote:
mohitgulia, option E only states that 3 types of eggplant plants are sold in the United States, from this option we do not know whether they are popular with the gardeners or not

kntombat if you only have 3 varieties then 1 variety holds 25% then in the remaining 2 atleast 1 will hold more than 25% so how can italian egg plant be more popular . so this weakens the conclusion so this is the right answer

+1 And even if the other two varieties hold equal percent (37.5%) of the eggplants sold , then both of them will still be more popular than Italian eggplant
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37 (Online)
GPA: 3.69
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Many believe that Italian eggplants are the most popular among gardene [#permalink]
The questions is regarding the popularity of eggplant (Italian one) among gardeners.
Only option C refutes this claim directly.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
souraG wrote:
The questions is regarding the popularity of eggplant (Italian one) among gardeners.
Only option C refutes this claim directly.

The question is about the popularity of Italian eggplant among varieties of eggplant

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
KeyurJoshi wrote:
Rajakashyap wrote:
kntombat wrote:

+1 And even if the other two varieties hold equal percent (37.5%) of the eggplants sold , then both of them will still be more popular than Italian eggplant

We shouldn't forget that question is about the popularity of Italian eggplants in GARDENS not in general aspect. Even if the other two varieties are having more % than Italian eggplants, they may not be popular for Gardens. So, option E is a bit unclear. Option C is correct IMHO.. as it tells that even though Italian eggplants are sold 25%, they may not be planted in garden.So, eggplants are not the most popular plants for gardens.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 312
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.87
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Many believe that Italian eggplants are the most popular among gardeners in the United States. Indeed, the Heirloom Eggplant Society reports that 25% of eggplant plants sold last year were of Italian eggplants, indicating that this belief is apparently correct.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the conclusion presented above?

A. Some of the eggplant plants sold were sold as seeds rather than seedlings.

B. The largest eggplant nursery in the United States only sells eggplant plants.

C. Most gardeners in the United States do not grow eggplant plants in their gardens.

D. At least some of the eggplant plants sold did not make it to maturity.

E. There are only 3 types of eggplant plants sold in the United States.

Italian Eggplant is the most popular in the USA. why?
Because report said that 25% of the sales of eggplants were Italian!

We need to attack this conclusion!

A. Some of the eggplant plants sold were sold as seeds rather than seedlings. -- This strengthened the argument

B. The largest eggplant nursery in the United States only sells eggplant plants. So WHAT, Irrelevant

C. Most gardeners in the United States do not grow eggplant plants in their gardens. -- No tie to the argument

D. At least some of the eggplant plants sold did not make it to maturity. -- No tie to the argument

E. There is only 3 types of eggplant plants sold in the United States. -- Here is the correct one, if there are only 3 companies, and the market share for Italian is 25%, thus 75% of market share will be distributed between 2 companies, therefore, Italian eggplants are not the most popular one!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Many believe that Italian eggplants are the most popular among gardene [#permalink]
Gauravji21 right, but
heres my reasoning for E,

C. Most gardeners in the United States do not grow eggplant plants in their gardens
this says that most gardeners dont grow eggplants which means that there are some gardeners who do grow eggplants in their garden, and thus the conclusion can still stand (25% of the eggplants sold are italian eggplants, so italian eggplants are popular among gardeners)

for e.g. 100 eggplants of 4 varieties are sold =>
Say 4 varieties of eggplants are Italian(I), A,B,C
I = 25
A+B+C = 75
Now Italian can be the most popular one (I = 25, A= 15, B=15, C =15) CONCLUSION STILL STANDS.
OR Italian can NOT be the most popular one (I = 25, A=50, B = 20, C = 5) Here A is the most popular one, so conclusion doesn't stand.

Now say
for e.g. 100 eggplants of 3 varieties are sold =>
Say 3 varieties are Italian(I), A,B
I = 25
A+B = 75
Now Italian can NOT be the most popular one (I = 25, A= 5, B=70) Here B is the most popular one.
Also here, Italian can NOT be the most popular one (I = 25, A=50, B = 25) Here A is the most popular one.

E asserts, in a sense, that Italian eggplant will NOT be the most popular eggplant. If we say that there are more than 3 varieties then conclusion may or may not be true.

Similar question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/many-gardene ... fl=similar
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1611 [0]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
Many believe that Italian eggplants are the most popular among gardeners in the United States. Indeed, the Heirloom Eggplant Society reports that 25% of eggplant plants sold last year were of Italian eggplants, indicating that this belief is apparently correct.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the conclusion presented above?

A. Some of the eggplant plants sold were sold as seeds rather than seedlings. Incorrect

this cant prove Italian eggplants were not most popular

B. The largest eggplant nursery in the United States only sells eggplant plants. Irrelevant

extra info

C. Most gardeners in the United States do not grow eggplant plants in their gardens. Correct

so less than 30% grow eggplant plants, within this 25% were Italian eggplants
weakens argument

if total plants sold 100, eggplants sold 30, and Italian eggplants sold less than 8

D. At least some of the eggplant plants sold did not make it to maturity. Incorrect

this doesnt prove Italian eggplants were not most popular

E. There are only 3 types of eggplant plants sold in the United States. Incorrect

cant say Italian eggplants were not most popular
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618706 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. Some of the eggplant plants sold were sold as seeds rather than seedlings.

B. The largest eggplant nursery in the United States only sells eggplant plants.

C. Most gardeners in the United States do not grow eggplant plants in their gardens.

D. At least some of the eggplant plants sold did not make it to maturity.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

For any critical reasoning weaken question, your job is to first understand the stimulus and to find the gap between the information presented and the conclusion drawn. In this case, you're told that because 25% of eggplant plants sold last year were of Italian eggplants, the belief that Italian eggplant plants are the most popular is apparently correct.

While 25% of all sales might seem like a big number, the gap here is simple: how does this percent ensure that more Italian eggplant plants are sold than are any other type of eggplant plant? It doesn't, as (E) makes clear. If there are only 3 types of eggplant plants sold in the United States and 25% of them are Italian eggplants, then the smallest percent of eggplant plants that could have been sold of the other two is 37.5%. Since this is larger than 25%, this would guarantee that Italian eggplant plants aren't the most popular plant to buy to place in gardens.

Among the other answers, (A) can be eliminated because it doesn't matter what form the plants were sold in. Similarly, it doesn't matter if the largest eggplant nursery only sells eggplant plants or whether most gardeners grow eggplant plants, so both (B) and (C) can be eliminated. (D) can also be eliminated since even if the plants die before they reach maturity the gardeners are still growing those plants.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts