Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [25]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [16]
Given Kudos: 7
GRE 1: Q670 V370
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Many companies in the pollution-control industry, which until a few ye [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
IMO, this is not a valid example . It is just not about SVA alone but there is also an element of comparison in it. In the original, we are comparing performance of the industry until few year’s ago with the performance of the companies recently. This shift of object is illogical. Per se, logically speaking, the companies, the subject of the clause, do two functions; first, they did well earlier and then have not not so well recently. If we mean to describe the industry’s profits, thenwe can straight away start with the industry, dropping the reference to the company’s altogether.

IMO, this is a faulty topic and no choice is tenable
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: Many companies in the pollution-control industry, which until a few ye [#permalink]
Kudos
C for me.

Here is my logic.

First there is a SVA issue. Companies in the pollution control industry....have recently experienced.. So it needs to be have instead of has - this eliminates A, D, and E.

We read choice b and see that when prospering is incorrect - should be was prospering to be in SVA with the sentence. So that leaves us with only C.

Hope that helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2332 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Here's the official explanation provided by the GMAC for this question:

According to the sentence, the pollution-control industry prospered until a few years ago, because of a national concern for environmental controls. Recently, however, many companies in the industry have suffered a sharp decline in sales and profits. The version given is not correct; for one thing, the verb phrase has recently experienced is singular, whereas its subject, many companies, is plural. Also, the verb-form has prospered normally indicates a past action extending into the present or recent past, not applicable here.

Option A: This answer choice is incorrect, for the reasons explained. The preposition on account of has because of as one of its meanings.

Option B: The word up is unnecessary and informal. Overall, this version is incoherent because it implies that the companies experienced reduced sales and profits when prospering. Moreover, this version consists only of a noun phrase many companies … industry following by a relative clause modifying that phrase, together with an embedded adverbial clause when … controls. In other words, this is not a proper sentence because it has no independent clause.

Option C: Correct.The past-continuous verb form was prospering is appropriate here. The present-perfect plural verb form have … experienced agrees with the plural subject companies and is appropriate for describing a recent experience that may be continuing into the present. The use of because of introduces a description of a cause.

Option D: The word up is unnecessary and informal. Because of the plural verb have in the relative clause which … controls, the clause applies to many companies rather than to the pollution-control industry. The singular verb has should also be plural to agree with the same subject.

Option E: The singular verb has is incorrect because its subject many companies is plural.

The correct answer is C.

Please note that I'm not the author of this explanation. I'm just posting it here since I believe it can help the community.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
 Q48  V34
Send PM
u0422811 wrote:
C for me.

Here is my logic.

First there is a SVA issue. Companies in the pollution control industry....have recently experienced.. So it needs to be have instead of has - this eliminates A, D, and E.

We read choice b and see that when prospering is incorrect - should be was prospering to be in SVA with the sentence. So that leaves us with only C.

Hope that helps.

The first logic is correct ie the options will end with 'have'.
But for SVA shouldnt it be 'many companies...were prospering...'? IMO the option doesnt match up.
Am I right?
Also, where is this question from?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hope that helps.[/quote]
The first logic is correct ie the options will end with 'have'.
But for SVA shouldnt it be 'many companies...were prospering...'? IMO the option doesnt match up.
Am I right?
Also, where is this question from?

Posted from my mobile device [/quote]

This is where i also got confused. Seems like the 'were prospering' modifier is for the industry. It wasn't intuitive or explicit.

I got these questions from the Jamboree question bank
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 908 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Account Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Subject-verb agreement
and thank you hinkin
when {When is used in reference to a specific time not a period}
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Many companies in the pollution control industry, which until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has recently experienced sharp drops in sales and profits.

plural subj needs plural verb

the modifier is more clear here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V700
Send PM
hi bibli, what is the source of this qn?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Many companies in the pollution control industry, which until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has recently experienced sharp drops in sales and profits.

In above the c answers the question correctly. SVA issue leaves us with just B and C. Out of the two C is correct since the was refers to singular Pollution Control industry and have correctly refers back to Many Companies.

Bibli wrote:
3. Many companies in the pollution control industry, which until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has recently experienced sharp drops in sales and profits.

a. until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has
b. up until a few years ago, when prospering on account of a national concern for environmental controls, have
c. until a few yeas ago was propsering because of a national concern for environmental controls,have
d. up until a few yeards ago have prospered because of a national concern for environmental control,has
e. until a few years ago had prospered because of a national concern for environmental controls, has
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Bibli wrote:
3. Many companies in the pollution control industry, which until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has recently experienced sharp drops in sales and profits.

a. until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has
b. up until a few years ago, when prospering on account of a national concern for environmental controls, have
c. until a few yeas ago was propsering because of a national concern for environmental controls,have
d. up until a few yeards ago have prospered because of a national concern for environmental control,has
e. until a few years ago had prospered because of a national concern for environmental controls, has

Answer C

Choice A - SVA error
Choice B - Up until incorrect usage
Choice C - Correct usage of both verbs
Choice D - Up until incorrect usage
Choice E - incorrect verb
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
u0422811 wrote:
C for me.

Here is my logic.

Hope that helps.

the 'which' takes the immediate preceeding noun i.e. 'control industry' -> hence 'was' is correct
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Correct option C

Original Sentence
Many companies in the pollution-control industry, which
until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has
recently experienced sharp drops in sales and profits.

B. up until a few years ago, when prospering on account of a national concern for environmental controls, have
Error:
- Redudancy "Up untill" & "when Prospering" both indicate "Growing"
- Idiom placement Error "on account of", it should reflect reason for prospering

C. until a few years ago was prospering because of a national concern for environmental controls, have - Correct

Eliminate A, D and E - SV Agreement Error
A. until a few years ago has prospered on account of a national concern for environmental controls, has
D. up until a few years ago have prospered because of a national concern for environmental controls, has
E. until a few years ago had prospered because of a national concern for environmental controls, has
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts