Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reser [#permalink]
I got this question in my GMAT Prep yesterday. I am sure that I couldn't nail this problem because of lack of conceptual clarity.

When I looked at option A, I felt the phrase between the commas is an '-ing' modifier and hence it doesn't modify the closest noun/noun phrase - "policy makers at the Federal Reserve". Instead, the modifier modifies "how experts believe?"

So, I felt may be C is better in adding 'Who', though I was really not sure.

Could somebody help me where am I wrong in my reasoning?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reser [#permalink]
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

Can you please explain your why you chose your answer?

Thanks,

Originally posted by AJ21 on 13 Apr 2014, 10:31.
Last edited by carcass on 13 Apr 2014, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Edvento wrote:
Bull78 wrote:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

If you want to create a standard approach to solve these types of questions, make sure you identify the parts of speech. Isolate the subject first, your life will be easier.

Notice that there is a phrase between commas, removing which also makes the sentence logical. So remove it and simplify. Now the original sentence is:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

You see the mistake? The subject is "policy makers" [plural] so verb should be "are". Eliminate E.

Now coming to the phrase between the commas. It is modifying phrase talking about the subject closest to the comma, which is "Federal Reserve". In C and D, "who" is used with Federal Reserve, which is incorrect. Now we are left with A and B.

The idiomatic usage is "between X and Y" where X and Y have to be parallel. In B, it is not. In B, X = "that of moderate growth" and Y = "low inflation". Do not agree...

thus the correct answer is A.

Hi,
I need your expert opinion on this. I find no mistake in D except for "that of", because it does not refer to anything. As for who pronoun, I think it perfectly clear that it is modifying the "policy makers" and not the "at the Federal Reserve". If it was not for "that of", I believe correct answer would have been D. According to e-gmat, verb-ing modifies the whole clause if the verb-ing comes after the clause. All in all, this is not good question.))) plus, I did not like " will be" as it changed the meaning.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Edvento wrote:
Bull78 wrote:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

If you want to create a standard approach to solve these types of questions, make sure you identify the parts of speech. Isolate the subject first, your life will be easier.

Notice that there is a phrase between commas, removing which also makes the sentence logical. So remove it and simplify. Now the original sentence is:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

You see the mistake? The subject is "policy makers" [plural] so verb should be "are". Eliminate E.

Now coming to the phrase between the commas. It is modifying phrase talking about the subject closest to the comma, which is "Federal Reserve". In C and D, "who" is used with Federal Reserve, which is incorrect. Now we are left with A and B.

The idiomatic usage is "between X and Y" where X and Y have to be parallel. In B, it is not. In B, X = "that of moderate growth" and Y = "low inflation". Do not agree...

thus the correct answer is A.

Vital Noun Modifiers don't have to be touching the verb they modify
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Yas2017 wrote:
For those still not convinced by why D is wrong.

A lot of folks here have said that D is wrong because WHO refers to fed reserve. this reason is WRONG because WHO can STILL refer to policy makers.

Consider the following:
1. He said that he knows policy makers, who are nice, are good at small talk.
2. He said that he knows policy makers at the fed reserve, who are nice, are good at small talk.

both are correct because in #2 "at the fed reserve" is modifying policy makers. WHO can jump the modifier and refer to policy makers. Look at: https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-modifier ... 35868.html for more info. this shows that noun modifiers can be far away when there is ANOTHER modifier in the middle.

The real reasons why D is wrong:
1. the presence of will be leads to an awkward sentence. "experts believe that policy makers will be almost certain to...." this will be.. to.. leads to an awkward sentence. Also, there is no indication in the sentence that experts believe that policy makers will do something in the future.
2. wrong idiom is used "view x TO BE Y." correct idiom is view x AS Y.

egmat please confirm my understanding.

I believe "that of" in the D also makes this wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q159 V149
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Here is a yet another dimension to solve this tangle the grammar way;

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are ---- correct sentence with a working plural verb -are- for the subject policy makers

B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are ……..The conjunction- and – spoils the party, by weaning away the verb and leaving the first part of the sentence a fragment without a working verb

C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are … the intrusion of who despoils the structure of the sentence by rendering the main clause a fragment.

D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be --- as already punted out, the pronoun –who- does not gel with the Fed, literally an inanimate body

E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is ------ policy makers and is – S-V mismatch

These observations are in addition to the other idiomatic mistakes pointed by other posters .

I have a doubt between A and D
Who can anyways not modify FR- so modifier err is not there- what else to eliminate the incorrect option out of these two?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GRE 1: Q159 V149
Send PM
sheena025 wrote:
daagh wrote:
Here is a yet another dimension to solve this tangle the grammar way;

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are ---- correct sentence with a working plural verb -are- for the subject policy makers

B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are ……..The conjunction- and – spoils the party, by weaning away the verb and leaving the first part of the sentence a fragment without a working verb

C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are … the intrusion of who despoils the structure of the sentence by rendering the main clause a fragment.

D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be --- as already punted out, the pronoun –who- does not gel with the Fed, literally an inanimate body

E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is ------ policy makers and is – S-V mismatch

These observations are in addition to the other idiomatic mistakes pointed by other posters .

I have a doubt between A and D
Who (used for person)can anyways not modify FR- so modifier err is not there- what else to eliminate the incorrect option out of these two?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reser [#permalink]
gmatter0913 wrote:
I got this question in my GMAT Prep yesterday. I am sure that I couldn't nail this problem because of lack of conceptual clarity.

When I looked at option A, I felt the phrase between the commas is an '-ing' modifier and hence it doesn't modify the closest noun/noun phrase - "policy makers at the Federal Reserve". Instead, the modifier modifies "how experts believe?"

So, I felt may be C is better in adding 'Who', though I was really not sure.

Could somebody help me where am I wrong in my reasoning?

Re: A I fell for the same trap. Here is the explanation for it.

I did not recognize the presence of 'that' in front of 'policy makers'. So the subject of the rest of the clause if 'policy makers'.

A comma-ing modifier can have comma(s) before the modifier, after the modifier, or both before and after the modifier. In this case, we have commas both before and after the modifier. The 'viewing' here modifies policy makers at the Federal Reserve are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future. This is similar to the following less ambiguous and correct sentence:

Paldon, thinking that the price of USD will go higher after the pandemic, exchanged all her currencies to the USD.

Here the modifier thinking that the price of USD will go higher after the pandemic correctly modifies the core clause Paldon exchanged all her currencies to the USD.

Originally posted by bitorbyte on 16 Apr 2020, 03:43.
Last edited by bitorbyte on 27 Apr 2020, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bull78 wrote:

(A) Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are

(B) Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are

(C) Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are

(D) Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be

(E) Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

A. Correct
B. No Parallelism - 'that of moderate growth' and 'low inflation' are not parallel. Also, in this case
- 'viewing' is not parallel to 'Are certain'.
C. Incomplete sentence. "X who are Y ". No primary verb
D. Correct idiom is 'view as' not 'view to be'
E. is cannot refer to plural 'policy makers'
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
(A) Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are -- Correct.

(B) Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are -- "between that of A and that of B" is the correct idiom. This is incorrect. Further, the main clause may be a fragment since it has no verb now.

(C) Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are -- Fragment. Main clause has no verb.

(D) Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be -- "will be" is wrong. They are certain today about an event in future. The certainty is not in future and is in present. The use of future tense is wrong here.

(E) Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is -- Incorrect. SV error. "is" does not reconcile with the plural subject.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Can someone please explain what does the modifier ' now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation' modify?

Thank you in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Wharton '23
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
generis GMATNinja
Quote:
(D) Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be

• correct idiom: VIEW X AS Y, not view X to be Y
• that of makes no sense

I have a query for the claimed " wrong usage of that of in D " in forum
If I am being literal and strict
X view economy as balanced between economy of moderate growth and economy of low inflation. Can't that of be economy?

P.S Doesn't it makes more sense to say I view the current economy as economy of growth than to say I view the current economy as growth? I eliminated A and picked D because of this factor.

Maybe the word "view as" is making things less strict ? Still I would love to hear experts thought on this
Scoreleap Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Q: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

(A) Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are - subject ‘policy makers’ and verb ‘are’ are in agreement
(B) Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are – not idiomatic – the correct idiom is ‘view x as y’, not ‘to be y’
(C) Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are - ‘who’ seems to refer to the Federal Reserve, which is not a ‘person’
(D) Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be – ‘who’ seems to refer to the Federal Reserve, which is not a ‘person’
(E) Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is – singular verb ‘is’ does not agree with plural noun ‘policy makers’
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hi,
I have a doubt here in option A: how is ", now viewing" modifying the preceding noun "policy experts at the Fed". doesn't verb-ing modifier modify the preceding action when a comma exists?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reser [#permalink]
Hi EducationAisle GMATNinja KarishmaB - Question on (D)

Quote:
(option D)
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

- Is the tense and the tone of the sentence in the yellow highlight - simple future tense and passive voice ?

I believe it is.

If so, is the tense (future tense in the case of D) a genuine split ?

I notice in (A) - the tense is simple tense

Is that a split between (A) and (D) to eliminate (d) ?

Some people are saying it is -- but i dont think a test taker can figure that out as both make sense to me

Do you think its a genuine split or no ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi
So from what GMAT NINJA said, it seems that if we have an -ing modifier next to a noun phrase then it's going to modify that noun phrase if it is also the subject of the clause. However, if the noun phrase is not the subject of the clause then the -ing modifier will not modify that noun phrase. Instead, the modifier will modify the subject of the previous clause?

In the case of this question, since "policy makers at the Federal Reserve" is the subject of the sentence the -ing modifier is modifying it?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Question on (D)

Quote:
(option D)
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

- Is the tense and the tone of the sentence in the yellow highlight - simple future tense and passive voice ?

I believe it is.

If so, is the tense (future tense in the case of D) a genuine split ?

I notice in (A) - the tense is simple tense

Is that a split between (A) and (D) to eliminate (d) ?

Some people are saying it is -- but i dont think a test taker can figure that out as both make sense to me

Do you think its a genuine split or no ?

It is certain that James would ace GMAT.

This is equivalent to:

James is certain to ace GMAT.

This would be incorrect:

James will be certain to ace GMAT.

Basically, certainty (based on perhaps James' competence or level of preparation) is now, though the act of acing GMAT will obviously happen in future.

Similarly,

It is certain that policy makers will leave interests rates unchanged.

This is equivalent to:

Policy makers are certain to leave interests rates unchanged.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts