GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 18:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Many investors base their choice between bonds and stocks on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: Many investors base their choice between bonds and stocks on comparing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2016, 10:07
thangvietnam wrote:
daagh wrote:
Let us not bother whether it is ‘comparison with’ or ‘comparison to’, which I understand is not being tested by GMAT these days. But the primary clue is that a preposition such as ‘on’ has to be followed by a noun or noun phrase. There is no escape from this rule. So it has to be ‘on comparisons of’. Any other expression may be ignored from consideration. So ADE are out. Between B and C, as the comparison is essentially between two things namely bonds and stocks, we have to use ‘between’ rather than ‘among’. Choice C is correct.

I have a different idea
on arriving the hotel, I study gmat immediately

in this sentence, a correct one, on following by doing.

the point in this sentence is that if doing is used as pure noun, and a pure noun exist, specifically coparision, we should you noun form , and do not use doing as pure a noun. honestly, we need to do about gerund, participle and doing as pure noun to understand this question properly. these points are not explained enough in grammar book and in gmat og books and many persons fail.

I agree. I think that here we have a test between "comparison" and "comparing". Since "comparing" has a noun form we should use C and eliminate A and E

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many investors base their choice between bonds and stocks on comparing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 05:18
thangvietnam wrote:
daagh wrote:
Let us not bother whether it is ‘comparison with’ or ‘comparison to’, which I understand is not being tested by GMAT these days. But the primary clue is that a preposition such as ‘on’ has to be followed by a noun or noun phrase. There is no escape from this rule. So it has to be ‘on comparisons of’. Any other expression may be ignored from consideration. So ADE are out. Between B and C, as the comparison is essentially between two things namely bonds and stocks, we have to use ‘between’ rather than ‘among’. Choice C is correct.

I have a different idea
on arriving the hotel, I study gmat immediately

in this sentence, a correct one, on following by doing.

the point in this sentence is that if doing is used as pure noun, and a pure noun exist, specifically coparision, we should you noun form , and do not use doing as pure a noun. honestly, we need to do about gerund, participle and doing as pure noun to understand this question properly. these points are not explained enough in grammar book and in gmat og books and many persons fail.

thangvietnam With the same reasoning that you have furnished, wouldn't "on arrival" be more appropriate than "on arriving"? This in turn would lead to the same explanation that Daagh provided: the preposition "on" followed by a noun.

whichscore wrote:
thank you for this clear answer.
Can we generalize this rule to all prepositions ?

daagh wrote:
Yes without doubt. A preposition will have to be followed by a noun or noun phrase or a pronoun or a pronoun phrase. There is no exception to this rule, as far as I know. That is the reason,when the word "like" is used as a preposition in comparisons, it is always followed by a noun and not a verb or a clause

However I beg to differ with the opinion that any preposition must be followed by a noun (phrase) or a pronoun (phrase).

After reaching the hotel, I called up John...... is there any error in this sentence?

The preposition "after" is followed by a gerund - the same structure as that in A,D and E. daagh Sir, kindly correct me, if I am making any mistake.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Many investors base their choice between bonds and stocks on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 18:38
Could someone clarify "comparisons" vs "comparing" ??

comparisons is a noun, whereas comparing is a verb. In the given context, I think comparing is correct. What is it I'm missing. Can someone please fill me?
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 08:26
manhasnoname wrote:
Could someone clarify "comparisons" vs "comparing" ??

comparisons is a noun, whereas comparing is a verb. In the given context, I think comparing is correct. What is it I'm missing. Can someone please fill me?

Th correct usage is:
base on + (noun).

My conclusion is based on my observation.... correct.

"Comparing" here is also a noun - a gerund ( not a verb as you mentioned) - but when available, a concrete noun is preferred to a gerund.

My conclusion is based on my observing ... wrong.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 05:09
base their choice on comparisons...correct
base their choice on comparing..incorrect

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..

KUDOS Please..!!

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Many investors base their choice between bonds and stocks on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 10:07
On and with both can be used after comparing. Hence, If A is correct, then E is also correct. So correct answer is C. ;)
GMAT Club Bot
Many investors base their choice between bonds and stocks on &nbs [#permalink] 10 Sep 2018, 10:07

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Many investors base their choice between bonds and stocks on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap