Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Parallelismx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 325 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Icecream87 wrote:
since the of-prep " of the Kushan empire" modifies TIME, can we then say that "fashioned" modifies TIME more than it does EMPIRE?

Hi Icecream87, the past participle phrase here (fashioned...) is not intended to modify either Kushan empire or time.

It is intended to modify images of Hindu deities, since these images were fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

In fact, if you look at the correct option (option E), it makes it very clear:

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities date...and were fashioned...

So, for the verb were, the subject is images of Hindu deities. So, we know that the images of Hindu deities were fashioned.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these participial modifiers, their application and examples in significant detail. In fact, this sentence is given as an example in that section. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 325 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
Icecream87 wrote:
since the of-prep " of the Kushan empire" modifies TIME, can we then say that "fashioned" modifies TIME more than it does EMPIRE?

Hi Icecream87, the past participle phrase here (fashioned...) is not intended to modify either Kushan empire or time.

It is intended to modify images of Hindu deities, since these images were fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

In fact, if you look at the correct option (option E), it makes it very clear:

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities date...and were fashioned...

So, for the verb were, the subject is images of Hindu deities. So, we know that the images of Hindu deities were fashioned.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these participial modifiers, their application and examples in significant detail. In fact, this sentence is given as an example in that section. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Hi EducationAisle,

Thanks for answering. I get why this sentence is wrong. I was however trying to understand if that bold part in the sentence would be correct if fashioned was intended to modify time

for instance:
The boutique in Paris, whose owner was robbed is closed.
in Paris correctly modifies boutique so the placement of whose is accepted

But if the sentence was as follows, would it still be correct?
The boutique in Paris, colored red is closed.
Thanks
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Icecream87 wrote:
But if the sentence was as follows, would it still be correct?
The boutique in Paris, colored red is closed.

Yes. Following is an officially correct sentence:

Fossils of the arm of a sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on the Greater Antilles islands.

The past participle found modifies fossils and not sloth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Hi all,

Issue: ",fashioned" modifier describes which noun among IMAGES, DEITIES, and EMPIRE?

Grammatically, ",fashioned" modifier is supposed to describe EMPIRE, the closest noun.

Honestly, for non-native speakers, like me, it is quite tough to decide correct noun that ", fashioned" modifier is assigned to.

So my approach will be that if I have a doubt, such as the above issue, then I just leave it there and examine other options.

Option E makes sense, without any doubt, to me. It is because the missing E will construct a parallelism structure that provides 2 independent ideas:

(1) The images date from the time of the Kushan empire

AND

(2) The images were fashioned.......

Just my 2 cents.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
SISDIT wrote:
Hi all,

Issue: ",fashioned" modifier describes which noun among IMAGES, DEITIES, and EMPIRE?

Grammatically, ",fashioned" modifier is supposed to describe EMPIRE, the closest noun.

Honestly, for non-native speakers, like me, it is quite tough to decide correct noun that ", fashioned" modifier is assigned to.

So my approach will be that if I have a doubt, such as the above issue, then I just leave it there and examine other options.

Option E makes sense, without any doubt, to me. It is because the missing E will construct a parallelism structure that provides 2 independent ideas:

(1) The images date from the time of the Kushan empire

AND

(2) The images were fashioned.......

Just my 2 cents.

Hello SISDIT,

I am aware that your post is pretty old. However, I will be glad to add my two cents here to describe how the context of the sentence can help us a modifier is meant to modify which entity.

Let's read the original sentence once: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

From the context of the sentence, we know that something is fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

From the word sandstone we know that the spotted sandstone of Mathura is a kind of stone that is found in Mathura,. Hence, we can safely infer that Gandharan grey schist is also a type of stone.

So what could logically be made up of these one of the types of stones?

EMPIRE: This noun does not make sense. What do we mean by the empire was fashioned from a kind of stone?
DEITIES: This noun also does not make sense because deities mean gods or goddesses that cannot be fashioned from stone:
IMAGES: This noun makes sense because we are aware that images or statues can be fashioned or made from stone.

So the only logical noun entity that the verb-ed modifier fashioned can describe is the images.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
GMAT Date: 07-30-2015
Send PM
Some one please help me,how to find the core of this sentence :- I mean how do I find the subject and verb. Please help me to strip this sentence to it's core.

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire, fashioned [either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or] Gandharan grey schist.

A) Empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or
B) Empire, fashioned from either the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from
C) Empire, either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or
D) Empire and either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from
E) Empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

If I ask question who or what fashioned Gandharran grey schist.
is this the subject :- Hindu deities fashioned

egmat Please guide.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rajatbanik wrote:
Some one please help me,how to find the core of this sentence :- I mean how do I find the subject and verb. Please help me to strip this sentence to it's core.

Hi rajatbanik, the core of the sentence is:

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire.

Quote:

If you logically think about it, you got the relationship reverse. Hindu deities did not fashion Gandharan grey schist (a stone); the Hindu deities were fashioned (were carved) by Gandharan grey schist.

Perhaps one reason for your mis-interpretation could be that you thought that fashioned was a simple past tense verb. In this sentence however, the only verb is date; fashioned is used as a past participle here, and not as a simple past tense verb.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses an easy framework to distinguish between Simple Past Tense Verb Vs Past Participle. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
GMAT Date: 07-30-2015
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
rajatbanik wrote:

Hi rajatbanik, the core of the sentence is:

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire.

Quote:

If you logically think about it, you got the relationship reverse. Hindu deities did not fashion Gandharan grey schist (a stone); the Hindu deities were fashioned (were carved) by Gandharan grey schist.

Perhaps one reason for your mis-interpretation could be that you thought that fashioned was a simple past tense verb. In this sentence however, the only verb is date; fashioned is used as a past participle here, and not as a simple past tense verb.

Could you please explain what does the verb date here mean.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
rajatbanik wrote:
Could you please explain what does the verb date here mean.

date means to belong to a particular period / have its origin.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [2]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Kudos