Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Parallelismx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GRE 1: Q169 V160
GPA: 2.83
Send PM
Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
This isn’t exactly the hardest or sexiest GMAT SC question, but it covers a nice, mechanical bit of parallelism that the GMAT seems to love. Whenever you see an either/or construction, the thing that follows “either” and the thing that follows “or” need to be parallel to each other. In other words, both need to be verbs, or prepositions, or modifiers, or whatever.

With that in mind…

Quote:
(A) empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or

(A) gives us: “… fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.” That’s definitely not parallel: “from” is a preposition, and “Ganharan grey schist” is a noun. Not cool.

(A) is out.

Quote:
(B) empire, fashioned from either the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

(B) just rearranges the error in (A): “… fashioned from either the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from Gandharan grey schist.” That’s still not parallel: “the spotted sandstone” is a noun, and “from” is a preposition. Still not cool.

(B) is out, too.

Quote:
(C) empire, either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or

(C) gives us: “… either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.” That’s still not parallel: “fashioned” is an adjective, and “Gandharan grey schist” is a noun. And that’s not cool, either.

(And if you’re not sure that “fashioned” is an adjective, check out this article on the GMAT’s uses of “-ed” words.)

Anyway, we can eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) empire and either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

The hits keep coming: “… either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from Gandharan grey schist.” That’s still not parallel: “fashioned” is still an adjective, and “from” is still a preposition. And that’s yet again not cool.

I’m also not sure that the parallelism works quite right around the word “and”, either. After the “and”, we have “either fashioned from…” – and I can’t find anything earlier in the sentence that's parallel to "either fashioned from".

But to be honest, you don’t really have to worry about that. The “either/or” problem gives you an easy excuse to eliminate (D).

And I hope we like (E)…

Quote:
(E) empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

The either/or thing looks OK: “either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from Gandharan grey schist.” Nice.

The parallelism earlier in the sentence is fine now, too: “Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire and were fashioned from…” Hey, that works, too. The images date from the time of the Kushan empire, and they also were fashioned from sandstone and schist.

So (E) is the best answer.

Can images be fashioned? or the dieties were fashioned?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
This isn’t exactly the hardest or sexiest GMAT SC question, but it covers a nice, mechanical bit of parallelism that the GMAT seems to love. Whenever you see an either/or construction, the thing that follows “either” and the thing that follows “or” need to be parallel to each other. In other words, both need to be verbs, or prepositions, or modifiers, or whatever.

With that in mind…

Quote:
(A) empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or

(A) gives us: “… fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.” That’s definitely not parallel: “from” is a preposition, and “Ganharan grey schist” is a noun. Not cool.

(A) is out.

Quote:
(B) empire, fashioned from either the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

(B) just rearranges the error in (A): “… fashioned from either the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from Gandharan grey schist.” That’s still not parallel: “the spotted sandstone” is a noun, and “from” is a preposition. Still not cool.

(B) is out, too.

Quote:
(C) empire, either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or

(C) gives us: “… either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.” That’s still not parallel: “fashioned” is an adjective, and “Gandharan grey schist” is a noun. And that’s not cool, either.

(And if you’re not sure that “fashioned” is an adjective, check out this article on the GMAT’s uses of “-ed” words.)

Anyway, we can eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) empire and either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

The hits keep coming: “… either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from Gandharan grey schist.” That’s still not parallel: “fashioned” is still an adjective, and “from” is still a preposition. And that’s yet again not cool.

I’m also not sure that the parallelism works quite right around the word “and”, either. After the “and”, we have “either fashioned from…” – and I can’t find anything earlier in the sentence that's parallel to "either fashioned from".

But to be honest, you don’t really have to worry about that. The “either/or” problem gives you an easy excuse to eliminate (D).

And I hope we like (E)…

Quote:
(E) empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

The either/or thing looks OK: “either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from Gandharan grey schist.” Nice.

The parallelism earlier in the sentence is fine now, too: “Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire and were fashioned from…” Hey, that works, too. The images date from the time of the Kushan empire, and they also were fashioned from sandstone and schist.

So (E) is the best answer.

Shouldn't the correct parallelism be "spotted sandstone of Mathura or grey schist of Gandhara "
Kind of makes all the answer choices not parallel. What am I doing wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 808
Send PM
Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from [#permalink]
I got this question correct. But a doubt arose post solving, which is as always -

GMATNinja and other experts - could you please help with this: when exactly can we shorten the second clause after the "OR" statement in an either/or construction for brevity or conciseness? Are there any specific rules regarding those? Can this be always done?

For example - "he either was studying or partying" - "was" has been dropped from the second clause after "OR" here.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rahulbiitk wrote:
could you please help with this: when exactly can we shorten the second clause after the "OR" statement in an either/or construction for brevity or conciseness? Are there any specific rules regarding those? Can this be always done?

It might not be possible to come up with exhaustive grammatical rules around this. As long as the meaning is unambiguous, we can omit certain constructs.

For example, following is correct:

Rahul plans to go to Delhi and Bengaluru.

So, we don't need to say:

Rahul plans to go to Delhi and to Bengaluru.

On the other hand, we would repeat the to in the following sentence:

Rahul plans to go to Delhi for the sole purpose of shopping and to Bengaluru for his first visit to MG Road.

Quote:
For example - "he either was studying or partying" - "was" has been dropped from the second clause after "OR" here.

Incidentally, this is an incorrect sentence. This should be:

He was either studying or partying.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
@e-gmat

how can we apply the rule of comma+ed verbal (fashioned).

please elaborate.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123

A "comma + -ed" construction typically creates a noun modifier, and that's the case here with ", fashioned." These modifiers usually apply to the preceding noun or noun phrase. In this case, that's "Empire," so we have to cut all the choices that do this. While we have some flexibility to skip over intervening modifiers to create a clear meaning, a noun modifier will never "leap" all the way back across a clause like this one to modify the subject ("images").
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Thanks DmitryFarber

Always a pleasure to read your responses :)

Just to clear my confusion on COMMA+ED verbal acting as a verb modifier, modifying the subject of the preceding clause. Please give your opinion on the same.
I came across a post from Ron where he said such things.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 33-30.html

(see 6th post from bottom on above link)
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123

Yes, a "comma + -ed" modifier can be adverbial. But note that if it's adverbial (a modifier that applies to anything but a noun), then it doesn't make sense to say that it modifies the subject, which is by definition a noun. In Ron's example, ("Tanya collapsed onto the couch, exhausted from a 14-hour work shift."), the "exhausted" part modifies the previous clause, showing why/under what conditions Tanya collapsed. Of course, Tanya is the one who is exhausted, but it's not accurate to say that the modifier applies to Tanya, so I'd say Ron's slightly off on the terminology there. Similarly, if I say "Expecting a promotion, Brad was shocked to be laid off," we know that it's Brad who was expecting a promotion. In fact, if we start the sentence with anyone but the person who was expecting a promotion, we'll have an error. But the modifier is still adverbial and applies to the following action, not the noun. If the sentence said "Expecting a promotion, Brad's dismissal came as a shock," we could quickly eliminate it, since the subject is "dismissal." But we could also see that the issue goes beyond the subject. After all, the subject is what performs the action. So Brad's dismissal came as a shock. Why/how? Because it was expecting a promotion? This makes no sense.

Now, back to the Kushan Empire. Why can't "fashioned" serve as an adverbial modifier?

First, its position makes that entirely unclear. In the Tanya sentence, the only other possibility is that "exhausted" modifies "couch," and it's pretty clear that's not intended. The sentence is short and direct, and the modifier comes directly after the action. In this problem, by contrast, the subject is followed by two modifiers, a verb, and object, and another modifier. That's a lot more material to get confused over!

Second, if "fashioned" were an adverbial modifier, then like "exhausted," it would need to show how/why/under what circumstances something happened. However, the information about what the images were fashioned from in no way explains or adds detail to the idea that they date from the time of the Kushan Empire. Those are two different assertions, and that's why the correct answer expresses them in two separate clauses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
I also thought that E is correct because of either or construction but I chose A because IMO fashioned worked as modifier modifying Hindu deities so I thought choice E will lead to meaning error. Can someone please clarify this.
Thanks
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
BansalT wrote:
I also thought that E is correct because of either or construction but I chose A because IMO fashioned worked as modifier modifying Hindu deities so I thought choice E will lead to meaning error. Can someone please clarify this.

Such past participial phrases ("fashioned...") towards the end of a clause generally modify the noun/noun-phrase immediately before the participial phrase. Hence, "Hindu deities" is not really ideally positioned, to be modified by this past participial phrase.

By the way, the intent is that this past participial phrase should modify "images" (not "Hindu deities").

Also, not sure how you thought E leads to meaning error..the parallelism in E is:

images....date...and were fashioned..
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BansalT wrote:
Thanks

Hello BansalT,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the meaning error in Option A is actually that it incorrectly modifies "the Kushan empire" with "fashioned either...grey schist", illogically implying that the Kushan empire was fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from Gandharan grey schist; the intended meaning is that many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from Gandharan grey schist; please remember, in a “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BansalT wrote:
I chose A because IMO fashioned worked as modifier modifying Hindu deities so I thought choice E will lead to meaning error

An __ED participle can potentially play either of these roles. It can introduce a modifier, or it can be paired with is/are/was/were/etc. to form a verb in passive voice.

The modifier construction doesn't work here, though.

• It can't modify the preceding noun (a function whose correct use is illustrated by this official problem), because the preceding noun is "the Kushan Empire", which isn't the thing that was made (= "fashioned") out of two kinds of rock.

• Nor can it modify the preceding clause, because the preceding clause is about the AGE of the stone images—which has nothing to do with the types of rock used to make them.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts