GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 May 2018, 10:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many people argue that tobacco advertising plays a crucial role in cau

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many people argue that tobacco advertising plays a crucial role in cau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2016, 12:23
AmritaSarkar89 wrote:
experts can I get a detailed explaination?

Do you have any specific query about any particular doubt?

In general:
The passage states that there has been no advertising of tobacco in Norway; yet there is prevalence of smoking among teenagers there. Therefore something else, not advertisements, caused this prevalence. Hence option A is correct.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 560 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Re: Many people argue that tobacco advertising plays a crucial role in cau [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 22:15
sayantanc2k wrote:
AmritaSarkar89 wrote:

In general:
The passage states that there has been no advertising of tobacco in Norway; yet there is prevalence of smoking among teenagers there. Therefore something else, not advertisements, caused this prevalence. Hence option A is correct.

Hi sayantanc2k

Please help me in understanding why choice B is wrong here ?

Consider giving Kudos, if you find worth it :) !!

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 14:46
AbhiGarg2007 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
AmritaSarkar89 wrote:

In general:

Hi sayantanc2k

Please help me in understanding why choice B is wrong here ?

One example is not enough to generalize a hypothesis. Hence B is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 17:43
(A) Tobacco advertising cannot be the only factor that affects the prevalence of smoking among teenagers.
this choice appropriatly address that ther may be another reason that influences the teenagers to takeup smoking since the banning of the commercial has not have significant effect .
(B) Advertising does not play a role in causing teenagers to start or continue smoking.
Its not true to say that the advertisement does not paly any role but actually it plays role to a certain anount which is not discussed but there has to be another factor.
(C) Banning tobacco advertising does not reduce the consumption of tobacco.
Not true the banning of tobacoo adbertisement may have reduced the consumption but not eradicate entirely.
(D) More teen-agers smoke if they are not exposed to tobacco advertising than if they are.
may not be true always
(E) Most teen-agers who smoked in 1975 did not stop when the ban on tobacco advertising was implemented.
this is a strengthening or weakening point but not a conclusion because strengtheners adn weakeners always have a conclusion in the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 13:06
Many people argue that tobacco advertising plays a crucial role in causing teen-agers to start or continue smoking. In Norway, however, where there has been a ban on tobacco advertising since 1975, smoking is at least as prevalent among teen-agers as it is in countries that do not ban such advertising.

Which of the following statements draws the most reliable conclusion from the information above?

(A) Tobacco advertising cannot be the only factor that affects the prevalence of smoking among teenagers.
(B) Advertising does not play a role in causing teenagers to start or continue smoking.
(D) More teen-agers smoke if they are not exposed to tobacco advertising than if they are.
(E) Most teen-agers who smoked in 1975 did not stop when the ban on tobacco advertising was implemented.

I welcome analysis on my posts and kudo +1 if helpful. It helps me to improve my craft.Thank you

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 05:36
kg05 wrote:
Many people argue that tobacco advertising plays a crucial role in causing teen-agers to start or continue smoking. In Norway, however, where there has been a ban on tobacco advertising since 1975, smoking is at least as prevalent among teen-agers as it is in countries that do not ban such advertising.

Which of the following statements draws the most reliable conclusion from the information above?

(B) Advertising does not play a role in causing teenagers to start or continue smoking.\

Premises:
Tobacco advertising plays a crucial role in causing teen-agers to start or continue smoking.
In Norway, tobacco adv is banned since 1975, but smoking is at least as prevalent among teen-agers as it is in countries that do not ban

Conclusion?

Note that the premises talk about smoking among teenagers.

In Norway, tobacco advertising was stopped decades ago but teenagers of today still smoke as much as they do in other countries. So other factors are responsible for start of smoking among teenagers today. Advertising cannot be the only factor.
This is the answer.

This we cannot conclude. It is possible that advertising plays a role but other factors play a role too. Perhaps advertising ban did reduce smoking among teenagers but availability of cigarettes through vending machines is a factor and increased smoking among teenagers. There could be many reasons why teenager smoking is same in Norway as other countries despite the ban.

This statement is just too wide to be relevant in our context. We are talking about smoking among teenagers. Banning advertising could have impact on adults even if it doesn't on teenagers.

The argument does not imply this at all. We know that at least as many smoke. Do more smoke? We don't know.

We are talking about the teenagers of today. Teenagers of 1975 would be adults now.

Answer (A)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 12:25
right, I have counted more than 5 questions that are built on the similar argument and the option A.
One of those questions use the option A as a trap; in that question, ones will see the shift of the scope.
I think we should not worry much.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 01:31
choice C is attractive and is a trap. it is close at first but with in fact it is wrong because the consumption is at least as equivalent as before the ban. so, c is still incorrect
Re: Many people argue that tobacco advertising plays a crucial role in cau   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2018, 01:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Many people argue that tobacco advertising plays a crucial role in cau

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap