GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2019, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Many people attribute China’s economic surge to the country’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User
Many people attribute China’s economic surge to the country’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 06:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (01:37) correct 76% (01:35) wrong based on 580 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many people attribute China’s economic surge to the country’s manipulation of exchange rates and the favorable trade conditions that result from that practice. But China’s burgeoning middle class—tens of millions of affluent domestic consumers—has been equally as important. With an increasing volume of economic activity occurring within its own borders, favorable exchange rates and trade conditions are less important to the Chinese economy than ever before.

In the argument above, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

(A) It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes.

(B) It is a fact that the argument suggests is only partially true.

(C) It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.

(D) It offers an opinion that the author believes should be qualified.

(E) It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain.

Re: Many people attribute China’s economic surge to the country’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 13:36
I should add that many people misunderstand the meaning of "qualified" that is used in D. In this context, it means "modified or limited." Often, people read the word as positive and therefore reject the answer choice.

As for B, it's in that rare category of "answers that can be eliminated even if you haven't read the argument." If something is a fact, it's true, so B is self-contradictory. I don't think the real GMAT would ever say something like that in an answer choice.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 13:26
arpitkansal,

Let's break it down:

Many people attribute China’s economic surge to the country’s manipulation of exchange rates and the favorable trade conditions that result from that practice. But China’s burgeoning middle class—tens of millions of affluent domestic consumers—has been equally as important. With an increasing volume of economic activity occurring within its own borders, favorable exchange rates and trade conditions are less important to the Chinese economy than ever before.

The "but" is bolded and in blue because it is the pivotal point in the passage. If I say "I like candy, but I do not like Reese's.", I am qualifying my original statement similar to the argument above. I am not saying I dislike candy; I am saying I only like certain types. In the argument, the passage is saying something, but then says there is more to the story. This is what we are looking for in our answer.

In the argument above, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

(A) It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes. -- Never opposes the argument, despite the "but". We do not attempt to disprove it

(B) It is a fact that the argument suggests is only partially true. -- We do not attempt to disprove the argument in any way. Similar to (A) in why it is wrong.

(C) It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument. -- The first portion is not a premise and does not support the conclusion.

(D) It offers an opinion that the author believes should be qualified. -- Bingo. It gives a statement and then the author attempts to shed more light on it without taking away from it. Winner!

(E) It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain. -- The argument isn't explaining the original statement. It is adding more detail to an idea built around the statement. Thus, although close, is incorrect.

Does this help?

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 12:35
Before addressing the bold content, begin by identifying the conclusion of the author's argument, which is that "favorable exchange rates and trade conditions are less important to the Chinese economy than ever before". This position does not refute the bold statement, it merely indicates that "the country's manipulation of exchange rates..." is "less important... than before". Look for an answer choice that reflects this relationship.

Choice A is an extreme, half-right answer choice. The bold statement does introduce a judgment, so the first portion of the choice is correct. However, the argument does not oppose the statement, it only qualifies its importance.
Choice B is also a half-right trap answer choice, because the argument does suggest that "manipulation of exchange rates" is only partially responsible for "China's economic surge". However, this position is subjective and not an absolute fact. Additionally, the author does not indicate that the existence of the opinions of "many people" is partially untrue.
Choice C is a reversal of the prompt, since the bold statement does not support the main conclusion of the argument.
Choice D is a correct paraphrase of the relationship between the bold statement and the conclusion of the argument which states that "the country's manipulation of exchange rates..." is "less important... than before".
Choice E is a reversal of the prompt, since the conclusion does not explain the bold statement. Additionally, the bold statement is an opinion and not a finding.

The correct answer is choice D.

Find out more about online GMAT tutoring with MyGuru
http://www.myguruedge.com/gmat-prep/online-gmat-tutoring
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 16:48

Official Solution

In this Boldface question, it is important to follow the non-bolded portions of the argument to follow what happens to the idea introduced in the bolded first sentence.

Note the phrase "equally as important" in the second sentence after the dash: the author is not trying to disprove the conventional wisdom that currency manipulation caused China's economic surge, but rather to show that it is one of two primary causes.

For this reason, choice (A) is incorrect: the author doesn't want to disprove the bolded portion, just to add to it.

That logic might lead you toward choice (B), but pay particular attention to what the bolded portion would be as a "fact"—it's the notion that people believe something.

The author doesn't think that the fact that people believe that is partially true—the argument is that the belief itself (which is the predicate of the sentence, not the full sentence itself) is partially true. So choice (B) is incorrect.

Choice (D) demonstrates the logic properly: the author believes that the opinion should be qualified, so choice (D) is correct.

I don't understand WHY D is the answer and NOT B?
Please help...
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 08:15
pra1785 wrote:
smaisnier wrote:
As I mentioned in the answer reply above, Choice B is a half-right trap answer choice, because while the argument does suggest that "manipulation of exchange rates" is only partially responsible for "China's economic surge" the boldfaced position is subjective and not an objective fact. Additionally, as the official guide indicates, the author does not indicate that the existence of the opinions of "many people" is partially untrue he believes that their opinion is not comprehensive. Please let me know if you require further clarification on this nuanced critical reasoning question :thumbup:

Hi,

Your explanation helped me understand what is wrong with option B. However, I don't get how D is the right answer. Not that I have any other answer choice in mind now, but how does the bold face imply authors opinion ....

The bold face does not imply the author's opinion, it is instead the opinion of "Many people (who) attribute China’s economic surge to the country’s manipulation of exchange rates and the favorable trade conditions that result from that practice", with which the author takes issue. The author then qualifies this other opinion, but does not outright disagree with it, by stating that "China’s burgeoning middle class – tens of millions of affluent domestic consumers – has been equally as important" and that "with an increasing volume of economic activity occurring within its own borders, favorable exchange rates and trade conditions are less important to the Chinese economy than ever before." This is why choice D is supported as the correct answer.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 06:31
Why is option B wrong and why is option D correct?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 04:38
As I mentioned in the answer reply above, Choice B is a half-right trap answer choice, because while the argument does suggest that "manipulation of exchange rates" is only partially responsible for "China's economic surge" the boldfaced position is subjective and not an objective fact. Additionally, as the official guide indicates, the author does not indicate that the existence of the opinions of "many people" is partially untrue he believes that their opinion is not comprehensive. Please let me know if you require further clarification on this nuanced critical reasoning question :thumbup:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 07:49
smaisnier wrote:

Hi,

Your explanation helped me understand what is wrong with option B. However, I don't get how D is the right answer. Not that I have any other answer choice in mind now, but how does the bold face imply authors opinion ....
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: IMD '20
GPA: 2.84
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 11:19
nightblade354
Please help with this CR question.The solution puzzles me.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: IMD '20
GPA: 2.84
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 23:36
nightblade354 DmitryFarber Thankyou for the detailed explanation.I understood but not completely.I labelled the boldface as counterpremise or something negative.Due to this options A and B seemed more appealing.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 12:34
arpitkansal
I think that B is appealing too and I chose it for real, even though I'm aware that it is clearly not the fact. It can be a judgement as A says, but the author doesn't oppose it totally in his conclusion. So A and B must be wrong.
D is just overlooked due to the appearance of the word 'qualified', as if the author wants to weigh down the impact of China's manipulation over the rise of middle class. But he just says its effect is weaker, and still admits its legitimacy.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2019, 19:19
Option D - requires thinking one step ahead than regular. Option A is a typical distraction - so avoid extreme sentences is a good take away here.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 09:44
P@PU wrote:
Option D - requires thinking one step ahead than regular. Option A is a typical distraction - so avoid extreme sentences is a good take away here.

I agree, the only thing which would have provide with the right answer is if one understands what the bold face is, Is it a Judgment or a Fact?? No it is a opinion of number of people, thus A and B clearly are wrong. POE helps a lot in answering CR question :)
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 23:51
broall wrote:

(A) It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes.

(B) It is a fact that the argument suggests is only partially true.

(C) It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.

(D) It offers an opinion that the author believes should be qualified.

(E) It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

In this Boldface question, it is important to follow the non-bolded portions of the argument to follow what happens to the idea introduced in the bolded first sentence. Note the phrase "equally as important" in the second sentence after the dash: the author is not trying to disprove the conventional wisdom that currency manipulation caused China's economic surge, but rather to show that it is one of two primary causes. For this reason, choice (A) is incorrect: the author doesn't want to disprove the bolded portion, just to add to it.

That logic might lead you toward choice (B), but pay particular attention to what the bolded portion would be as a "fact" - it's the notion that people believe something. The author doesn't think that the fact that people believe that is partially true - the argument is that the belief itself (which is the predicate of the sentence, not the full sentence itself) is partially true. So choice (B) is incorrect.

Choice (D) demonstrates the logic properly: the author believes that the opinion should be qualified, so choice (D) is correct.
Re: Many people attribute China’s economic surge to the country’s   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2019, 23:51

Many people attribute China’s economic surge to the country’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics