GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Many television viewers own videocassette recorders

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Many television viewers own videocassette recorders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 08:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

66% (02:12) correct 34% (02:28) wrong based on 516 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many television viewers own videocassette recorders (VCR’s). Companies that advertise on television complain that VCR ownership hurts their business, since a VCR makes it possible to view television programs without watching the commercials. Indeed, two-thirds of those who tape programs on a VCR edit out the commercials when viewing the programs.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the companies’ complaint that VCR ownership is currently hurting their business?

(A) The methods for determining audience size, which in turn determines charges for advertising time, count households that are merely recording a program as households that are watching it.
(B) VCR manufacturers who advertise on television would themselves suffer the damage, if any, to advertisers’ interests that is caused by VCR’s.
(C) There are VCR’s that are in the early stages of development that will automatically edit out commercials during the recording process.
(D) Those who tape programs on VCR’s, but who do not edit out commercials when viewing the programs, tape more often than those who do edit out the commercials.
(E) Some television commercials are as entertaining or informative as the programs they interrupt.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many television viewers own videocassette recorders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 03:11
I got this question correct by POE.

The passage is saying VCRs are hurting Companies's business. How? By taking commercials out.

We need to strengthen this. I was not clear on option A, so kept it until the last.

(B) VCR manufacturers who advertise on television would themselves suffer the damage, if any, to advertisers’ interests that is caused by VCR’s. --> We are talking companies who are suffering not the VCR manufactures. Hence, OUT.

(C) There are VCR’s that are in the early stages of development that will automatically edit out commercials during the recording process. --> Could be a trap but this is talking about future. Conclusion is about present.

(D) Those who tape programs on VCR’s, but who do not edit out commercials when viewing the programs, tape more often than those who do edit out the commercials. --> Isn't it a weakener? Hence, OUT.

(E) Some television commercials are as entertaining or informative as the programs they interrupt. --> Irrelevant.

Since I rejected all the options but A, I can say answer is A.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 09:06
Many television viewers own videocassette recorders (VCR’s). Companies that advertise on television complain that VCR ownership hurts their business, since a VCR makes it possible to view television programs without watching the commercials. Indeed, two-thirds of those who tape programs on a VCR edit out the commercials when viewing the programs.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the companies’ complaint that VCR ownership is currently hurting their business?

(A) The methods for determining audience size, which in turn determines charges for advertising time, count households that are merely recording a program as households that are watching it. -CORRECT. Suppose there are 10 households, out of which 8 record using VCR. The method for determining the audience size takes into account all 8 households as potential loss even though only 4 out of them might be actually watching the programs. Thus, based on these figures the advertising companies can say that they are loosing 8 potential customers and thus argue against VCR. [Seems the only plausible understanding, please correct me if my understanding us wrong]

(B) VCR manufacturers who advertise on television would themselves suffer the damage, if any, to advertisers’ interests that is caused by VCR’s. -Argument is about advertisers and not VCR manufacturers.

(C) There are VCR’s that are in the early stages of development that will automatically edit out commercials during the recording process. -We are worried about the present.

(D) Those who tape programs on VCR’s, but who do not edit out commercials when viewing the programs, tape more often than those who do edit out the commercials. -This is a weakner

(E) Some television commercials are as entertaining or informative as the programs they interrupt. -This is a fact. Out of scope.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos if it helps !

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 15:48
Premise: VCRs enable tv program consumption without having to watch ads
Premise: 2/3s of those who tape tv programs on VCRs edit out ads
Conclusion: Companies who advertise on TV, NOT sellers of advertisement time slots or advertisers themselves, claim that VCR ownership hurts their business.
Question purpose: we need to strengthen this argument, which means we need an option that confirms that VCR ownership impairs either the revenues or profits of companies who advertise on TV. (note: it's easy to be right for the wrong reasons on this question so, IMO, getting this one right may not be the best gauge of CR ability)

(A) The methods for determining audience size, which in turn determines charges for advertising time, count households that are merely recording a program as households that are watching it.
Bingo. This option opens up the possibility that company ads aren't being seen by TV viewers, even though the company who ultimately ordered such ads was billed for them. Here's an extreme example: imagine that 99 viewers out of 100 both own a VCR and record programs. If the 66 of those who edit out commercials do not watch any ads, then according to this measurement method, the audience size would include all 99 VCR recorders, even though only 33 of them could have possibly viewed the ads. The unfairness of it all for the company is horrible :). Correct

(B) VCR manufacturers who advertise on television would themselves suffer the damage, if any, to advertisers’ interests that is caused by VCR’s.
Okay. If the VCR's marketing/ad agency is charged by the channel owner for more than is fair, then of course the VCR manufacturer will ultimately foot the bill. This option merely repeats info in the stem, but, importantly, it cues readers unto the fact that "companies that advertise on television" are not necessarily equivalent to "advertisers." Wrong

(C) There are VCR’s that are in the early stages of development that will automatically edit out commercials during the recording process.
Out of scope. Question asks about current time while this refers to a potential future time. Very Wrong

(D) Those who tape programs on VCR’s, but who do not edit out commercials when viewing the programs, tape more often than those who do edit out the commercials.
Convoluted/tricky, but this actually weakens the argument, since it alerts us to the possibility that people who record are actually more likely to watch commercials than we may think. Wrong

(E) Some television commercials are as entertaining or informative as the programs they interrupt.
Out of scope. If anything, weakens the author's argument. Very Wrong
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
WE: Project Management (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 11:23
The argument falls into X causes Y type — VCR ownership is currently hurting their business or VCR ownership is currently causing business damage to advertisers

The strengthen option will be an additional premise that will be pointing in the same direction.

It uses circular reasoning — if it causes damage, VCR companies that advertise will also suffer damage. So what is option saying, is it causing damage or is it not causing damage? It is just saying drawing out the deduction if the argument is true. It is not giving evidence to prove that the argument is true.

Option (C) is incorrect as it talks about VCRs in the future and not those currently in use but the argument talks about VCRs currently hurting the advertisers’ business.

Option (D) says that those who tape frequently edit fewer number of times, a situation that weakens the argument.

Option (A) offers an additional premise that supports the argument. It says that when companies pay for advertising they are paying even for viewers who are not watching. So not only are VCRs resulting in fewer people watching their ads and hence affecting revenues, but also resulting in lower profits since they are still paying the same amount in cost. So earlier if 100 people watched, they paid for 100. Now only 50 are watching, which is a reason why they argue that VCRs are hurting their business, but still they are paying for 100, which is the information that option provides.
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 18:40
In first go I didn't even understand what is going on. whenever this happens i simply break it down with e-gmat CR framework. always works. lets try it here.

VCR = OLD gen retro tech. it uses cassettes as memory dump and access it later. this last line should be in premise else lot many people will feel blank about it.

Premise: television + VCR + advertise = challenge for ad companies. Why? those who record and dump on cassettes, usually edit out the commercials. This way when someone is watching a recording, there is no ads. must be the best time ever. anyways i have never used any.

Conclusion: two-thirds of those who tape programs on a VCR edit out the commercials when viewing the programs.

pre-thinking: Let say 100 people are watching program live with ads. let say all of them are recording. now we have 100 cassettes to watch it from. now if they try to make multiple copies then we have many more copies. now either out of humanity or business point of view, they must be distributing it. Long story short, Companies that advertise on television says that just 100 people have watched the ad while many have watched the program. definitely valid complain. on these lines lets start POE. look for option that says business is hurting.

(A) The methods for determining audience size, which in turn determines charges for advertising time, count households that are merely recording a program as households that are watching it. ---- from pre-thinking audience size will come out to be 100. charges for these 100 audience 100x. what it should be. it should include many more who are watching on cassettes. definetly explaining how business is hurting.
(B) VCR manufacturers who advertise on television would themselves suffer the damage, if any, to advertisers’ interests that is caused by VCR’s. --- yes true, but it talking about a sub part of problem. and definitely not explaining it.
(C) There are VCR’s that are in the early stages of development that will automatically edit out commercials during the recording process. --- more problems, no solution.
(D) Those who tape programs on VCR’s, but who do not edit out commercials when viewing the programs, tape more often than those who do edit out the commercials. --- interesting choice. out of 100 , 60 do not edit out ads while 40 does that. now it is saying that problem came down to 40%. but it is still a problem. Where is the explanation for it.
(E) Some television commercials are as entertaining or informative as the programs they interrupt. --- out of scope.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 04:31
aurobindomahanty wrote:

Premise:
Two-thirds of those who tape programs on a VCR edit out the commercials.
Conclusion:
VCR ownership hurts businesses that advertise on TV.

When faced with a strengthen or weaken CR, do not try to predict what the OA will SAY.
Instead, ask yourself what the correct answer must DO.
Here, the correct answer must show that TV advertisers are being hurt by VCR ownership.

A: The methods for determining audience size, which in turn determines charges for advertising time, count households that are merely recording a program as households that are watching it.
Here, TV advertisers are paying for viewers who likely use their VCRs to edit out the commercials, making the commercials worthless and STRENGTHENING the conclusion that TV advertisers are being hurt by VCR ownership.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many television viewers own videocassette recorders &nbs [#permalink] 01 Jul 2018, 04:31

Many television viewers own videocassette recorders

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap