GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 07:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Marco Polo’s travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Marco Polo’s travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 03:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:03) correct 24% (01:09) wrong based on 118 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Marco Polo’s travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took him over seventeen years.

(A) travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took him over seventeen years
(B) travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took over seventeen years to travel
(C) travels, which took Polo over seventeen years to complete, are documented in his book, Il Milione
(D) travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took the explorer over seventeen years
(E) travels, which having taken him over seventeen years, are documented in the book, Il Milione

Source: PowerScore SC Bible

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GPA: 3.87
Marco Polo’s travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Feb 2019, 01:11
AsadAbu wrote:
Marco Polo’s travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took him over seventeen years.

(A) travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took him over seventeen years
(B) travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took over seventeen years to travel
(C) travels, which took Polo over seventeen years to complete, are documented in his book, Il Milione
(D) travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took the explorer over seventeen years
(E) travels, which having taken him over seventeen years, are documented in the book, Il Milione

From the current sentence structure is is little bit difficult to understand intended meaning of the sentence.
What took him over 17 years? The book? The travel? Took what? We need some action verb / infinitive to complete "took complete"

So let's see other answer choices to find out intended meaning of the sentence.

(without pronoun "him", seems "which" modidies "Il Milione", but this is illogical, book cannot take 17 years to travel, also we need some action verb / infinitive to complete "took complete")

("which" again modifies "Il Milione", but "Il Milione" cannot take 17 years, take what? we need some action verb / infinitive to complete "took complete")

("which having taken" is incorrect, it implies that Polo having taken 17 years travelled around the world...)

Attachment:
C.JPG
C.JPG [ 38.45 KiB | Viewed 999 times ]

C is the answer

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

Originally posted by GKomoku on 02 Feb 2019, 23:14.
Last edited by GKomoku on 11 Feb 2019, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 06:36
Quote:
Marco Polo's travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took him over seventeen years.

One possible choice:
F) travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took him over seventeen years to write

My question: I think, this question is history based about Marco Polo's life. If test takers' think in F that "it took 17 yrs to write the book Il Milione, then what's the wrong with the test takers' thinking? I mean: is it necessary to know history to solve the SC in GMAT? Thanks__

------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
VP
VP
V
Re: Marco Polo’s travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2019, 12:33
AsadAbu wrote:

Official Explanation:

The offending pronoun in this sentence is a relative pronoun: which. It is unclear whether which refers to travels or to book. Did his travels take 17 years to complete, or did the book take 17 years to complete? Currently, the pronoun is situated next to the name of the book, so it appears to be referencing the book. However, the infinitive to complete is needed on the end of the relative clause, and only Choice (C) makes this correction. It also corrects an implied pronoun and moves the relative clause to correctly refer to travels.

------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
VP
VP
V
Re: Marco Polo’s travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2019, 13:35
AsadAbu wrote:
Quote:
Marco Polo's travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took him over seventeen years.

One possible choice:
F) travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took him over seventeen years to write

My question: I think, this question is history based about Marco Polo's life. If test takers' think in F that "it took 17 yrs to write the book Il Milione, then what's the wrong with the test takers' thinking? I mean: is it necessary to know history to solve the SC in GMAT? Thanks__

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep, jennpt, GMATNinja, DmitryFarber, ccooley
May I've your attention, please?
Thanks__

------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 11:49
Hi AsadAbu,

Of course, there is no choice F.

Quote:
One possible choice:

Indeed, your proposed choice F is grammatically correct, but has a different (yet still plausible) meaning.

It is no accident that your proposed choice is not an actual answer choice for this question.

GMAT would never ask you to choose between two grammatically correct answers with equally plausible & logical meanings.
No, you do not need to know a historical fact like how long Marco Polo spent on his travels. You may need to make a very basic and logical inference, like that the ancient Greeks are not still alive today ;), but you would never need to know something like the dates of the classical Greek civilization.

:) sigh of relief!

On Parental Leave from Oct 2019 - Mar 2020.

Principal of Bright Outlook Global Prep, helping candidates achieve their higher education goals. We offer classes and private consultation, online and in our Berlin base. Let's get to work!

Personal 99th percentile score (770), including V51. Based in Berlin and previously in Paris, ich spreche auch deutsch/je parle aussi français.
With six years' experience, I am expert in coaching non-native speakers to outstanding performance.
VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 12:04
AsadAbu wrote:

jennpt,
Thanks for your feedback. One more question:
In this SC, the correct choice is .
Q:
Why the pronoun (him) of Polo is not being used in C?
Thanks__

------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 12:51
jennpt wrote:
Hi AsadAbu,

Of course, there is no choice F.

Quote:
One possible choice:

Indeed, your proposed choice F is grammatically correct, but has a different (yet still plausible) meaning.

It is no accident that your proposed choice is not an actual answer choice for this question.

GMAT would never ask you to choose between two grammatically correct answers with equally plausible & logical meanings.
No, you do not need to know a historical fact like how long Marco Polo spent on his travels. You may need to make a very basic and logical inference, like that the ancient Greeks are not still alive today ;), but you would never need to know something like the dates of the classical Greek civilization.

:) sigh of relief!

Can I replace the choice E with choice F for a little bit?

Quote:

(E) travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which took him over seventeen years to write

According to you, C and E both are correct for their meaning and grammar issue. This SC has a specific history, right? If this is the case, E can't be a good contender! But, my question again: As a test taker ( I'm talking about me who has a little knowledge on history) how do I select the correct choice between C and E?
Thanks__

------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 06:20
Hi AsadAbu,

I don't think you fully digested the meaning of my previous post. GMAT would never ask you to choose between two grammatically correct answers with equally plausible & logical meanings. You would never see a GMAT question that proposes both C and your version of E. There would not be a strong basis for a choice between these two, and as I said, GMAT does not presuppose knowledge of fairly detailed historical facts. End of story.

To answer your other question
Quote:

Note that the original sentence has "Marco Polo’s" ... it does not actually have "Marco Polo" by himself, as a noun.
In "Marco Polo's", it's like Mr. Polo has become an adjective, there only to describe the travels. He is not available as an antecedent (reference point) for a pronoun like him or he.

This is an important point that you could easily see in other SC questions, so it's good to be clear on the rule.

Hope this helps. :)

On Parental Leave from Oct 2019 - Mar 2020.

Principal of Bright Outlook Global Prep, helping candidates achieve their higher education goals. We offer classes and private consultation, online and in our Berlin base. Let's get to work!

Personal 99th percentile score (770), including V51. Based in Berlin and previously in Paris, ich spreche auch deutsch/je parle aussi français.
With six years' experience, I am expert in coaching non-native speakers to outstanding performance.
VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 09:52
After posting my previous post, i felt that you've already answered my question! Thanks for clarifying again.
Posted from my mobile device

------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 13:59
jennpt wrote:
Hi AsadAbu,

To answer your other question
Quote:

Note that the original sentence has "Marco Polo’s" ... it does not actually have "Marco Polo" by himself, as a noun.
In "Marco Polo's", it's like Mr. Polo has become an adjective, there only to describe the travels. He is not available as an antecedent (reference point) for a pronoun like him or he.

This is an important point that you could easily see in other SC questions, so it's good to be clear on the rule.

Hope this helps. :)

jennpt
Oops! I did a great mistake in my own proposed version by using *him* in the last part of the sentence! I must use *Marco Polo* instaed of *him*, right?

Posted from my mobile device

------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
GMAT Club Bot
Marco Polo’s travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2019, 13:59

Marco Polo’s travels are documented in his book, Il Milione, which

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics