It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 06:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 24

Re: Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2009, 11:54
pmal04 wrote:
why not A or B?

because 'it' modifies the noun 'conception of the radio'. The conception of the radio is not the tool for communicating with a large audience, the radio is. So 'it' should modify radio and not 'conception of the radio'

-pradeep

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2009, 00:32
yes...tha ans shud be C.
Reason: correct idiom is conceived of ........as

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2009, 18:17
I would go with C.

A. Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is - This implies that the conception was the substitute for telephone, but actually it is the telephone that is the substitute and not the conception
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for provate conversation, but which is - but which is seems to modify conversation.
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become - seems to imply that the telephone has become the tool for public conversation
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is, - too wordy

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 29

Schools: AGSM '16

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2009, 10:29
gotomba wrote:
AceofSpades wrote:
I would go with C too.

@gotomba: "it" refers to the radio.

How can you tell that "it" refers to the radio? Shouldn't it refer to the closest noun, telephone?

Well, the word "instead" in the sentence suggests that the second part of the sentence is the converse of the first part: "Macroni conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become...". We know that the second part will restate the function of the radio as a tool and in doing so will state a function opposite to the one mentioned in the first part of the sentence.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 29

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2009, 15:42
C seems best

Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is - It doesn't refer to Radio
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for provate conversation, but which is - but which not suitable
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become -No issues
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become - i think instead is required here
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is, - other than is Awkward

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2009, 00:29
but OG in their explanation always mentions that "it" should always has a clear antecedent not an implied one

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2009, 03:25
scorpio7 wrote:
Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for provate conversation, but which is
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,

It is C for me too.
A and B wrongly uses the tense with "is".
E changes the meaning

D uses "conceived X to be Y", which is wordy

C uses correctly (?) the idiom "conceived X as Y"

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2009, 08:05
scorpio7 wrote:

A. Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for provate conversation, but which is
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,

C for me too
A : compare conception with telephone
B : but which ??? which has no clear antecedent
D and E : conceive of ... as is a correct idiom
C : although I am not comfortable with it, C is the best option

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2010, 04:03
"conceive of st as st" is idiomatic. a,d,e out

"conception was as" in a is not idiomatic

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 3

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2010, 10:17
AM still puzzled as per the antecedent of "it" as used in the sentence:

"instead, it..." The explanation in OG12 says, "the pronoun 'it' positioned as the subject of the
final verb 'has become' refers back to 'radio'..."

Please any reason or rule of thumb why "it" could refer to radio unambiguously?

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 20

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 922 [0], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2010, 11:28
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become ----> There is a rule in grammar which says that pronoun in the subject position of clause 2 can refer to it (radio in clause 1). it cannot be used for "Marconi"

E.g Jim is working harder than Jack, as he wants the scholarship. ----> he refers to Jim (not Jack)

Pls refer to post pronoun-95757.html

gmatbull wrote:
AM still puzzled as per the antecedent of "it" as used in the sentence:

"instead, it..." The explanation in OG12 says, "the pronoun 'it' positioned as the subject of the
final verb 'has become' refers back to 'radio'..."

Please any reason or rule of thumb why "it" could refer to radio unambiguously?

Kudos [?]: 922 [0], given: 36

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2010, 17:29
TriColor wrote:
Q10:
Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is

C for me. "it" correctly refers to the subject of the sentense which is radio.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 17

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1501 [0], given: 2

Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2010, 12:50
A, B out for wrong modifier.
D, E out for unidiomatic (conceived to be).

So, clear C.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1501 [0], given: 2

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 149

WE 1: 4 years Tech

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2010, 01:28
TriColor wrote:
Q10:
Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is

In (c) "Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become"
What "does that could substitute for the telephone" modify?
Does not "that" modify the moun preceding it?
Please clarify

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 149

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 65

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2010, 00:01
If anyone answers C, could you please explain the use of that and it?

Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become

Aren't noun modifiers such as which and that(when that is used to modify a noun) supposed to be placed right next to the noun they are modifying? I can see that 'that' is modifying radio from the context of the sentence, but I want to know more about the rules governing exceptions like this one.

I know that when two clauses are connected by a conjunction, you can use a pronoun to refer back to the subject of the first clause. In this case, Marconi is the subject which can not be represented by the pronoun it, so you may assume it is referring to radio. I remember running into several questions that are very unforgiving about the use of pronoun like this, so I am a bit puzzled about the use of it here. I don't recall any from top of my head, but I will post them if I come across another.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 65

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 00:11
In the above sentence, Conceived is used as a participle or as a verb?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

TOEFL Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 601 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 03:33
Verb - with Marconi as the subject.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 601 [0], given: 40

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2011, 02:09

A. Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is - sentence reads like this "instead it is a tool for communicating with a large ..." <-Read this carefully, the sense is not clear.
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is <- We need a subject after But. Which is not a substitute.
C. Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone; instead, it has become - sentence reads like this "instead it has become a tool for communicating with a large ..." <- This makes clear meaning
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become <-This which wrongly refers to Telephone.
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is, <- ackward

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2012, 10:44
I have chosen C for this answer choice:

A. It was very wordy and awkward to start the sentence with "Marconi's conception." Moreover, I felt that the pronoun "it" is ambiguous because it could refer back to the conception or radio. Also, the verb "is" should actually be "has become" to show the evolution of the radio.

B. The use of "but which" is strange and I'm not really sure what "which" is supposed to refer to.

C. This sentence is clear. The pronoun "it" does in fact refer to radio and the verb "has become" indicates the change in the radio's usage.

D. "Which" refers to telephone - this is incorrect.

E. "Other than what it is" is confusing. Is this supposed to modify something? Also, this does not connect with the other part of the sentence "...precisely the opposite."

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 23:38
TriColor wrote:
Q10:

A. Marconi’s conception of the radio was as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation; instead, it is- A tool is modifying a telephone when it should be the radio
B. Marconi conceived of the radio as a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, but which is-A tool is modifying a telephone when it should be the radio
D. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become- again which is modifying telephone when it should refer to the radio
E. Marconi conceived of the radio to be a substitute for the telephone, a tool for private conversation, other than what it is,-A tool is modifying a telephone when it should be the radio

I was wondering if people think that this is a legitimate way to go about answering this question?

In all these 4 wrong answer choices we have a modifier refering to the "telephone" making it seem as though Marconi is refering to the telephone as though it was used for mass communication when he is actually refering to the radio.

Thanks = +1 Kudos

Study from reliable sources!!

Thursdays with Ron: http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

Gmat Prep Questions:
CR http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatprepsc-105446.html
SC http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatprepsc-105446.html

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2012, 23:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 121 posts ] 

Marconi's conception of the radio was as a substitute for th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap