GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 12:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mark’s clothing store uses a bar-code system to identify every item.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Mark’s clothing store uses a bar-code system to identify every item.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Dec 2019, 21:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:37) correct 28% (02:08) wrong based on 141 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Mark’s clothing store uses a bar-code system to identify every item. Each item is marked by a combination of 2 letters followed by 3 digits. Additionally, the three-digit number must be even for male products and odd for female products. If all apparel products start with the letter combination AP, how many male apparel items can be identified with the barcode?

A) 100

B) 405

C) 500

D) 729

E) 1000

Originally posted by sjuniv32 on 15 Dec 2019, 10:27.
Last edited by Bunuel on 15 Dec 2019, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Mark’s clothing store uses a bar-code system to identify every item.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 14:14
It is a happy news that the letter combination is fixed, so we don't need to put it into account.
we just have 3 digits, each should accept up to 10 different possible integers (0 to 9) except the unit digit which can only accept 5 different possibilities to maintain an even number (0,2,4,6,8)
so the maximum identifiable items for men = 10*10*5 = 500
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Mark’s clothing store uses a bar-code system to identify every item.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 15:52
sjuniv32 wrote:
:) Mark’s clothing store uses a bar-code system to identify every item. Each item is marked by a combination of 2 letters followed by 3 digits. Additionally, the three-digit number must be even for male products and odd for female products. If all apparel products start with the letter combination AP, how many male apparel items can be identified with the barcode?

A) 100

B) 405

C) 500

D) 729

E) 1000

1st digit = 10 options (0-9 digits)
2nd digit = 10 options (0-9 digits)
3rd digit = 5 options (even digits - 0, 2, 4, 6, 8)
—> Total ways = 10*10*5 = 500

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 16:10
men: AP**#
* 0-9
# must be an even digit, therefore 10*10*5=500
Intern
Intern
S
Premium Member
Mark’s clothing store uses a bar-code system to identify every item.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2020, 13:48
I see how the statement “each item is marked by a combination of 2 letters followed by 3 digits” implies that any digit will do at any of the three locations.

However, most official GMAT questions I’ve seen that specify “a three digit number” typically exclude “0” as a choice for the hundreds digit.

Not trying to be difficult, but I believe that this distinction is crucial to correctly setting up combinatorics questions on the exam.

Thank you,

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2020, 22:42
hi, can someone help me to understand. it says the 3 digit number must be even. Does that mean the entire 3 digit to be even or just the unit number? because no where it says last number should be even?
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
P
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 01:36
Hi Geet91,

it will depend only on the Unit digit of the number to be identified as even or odd. for e.g. 12 or 22 is even(Unit digit 2).
In case of above question, we can have such format APXXY where X can be any value from 0 to 9, and Y can be any among 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 to qualify as even number.

Hope it is clear!

Geet91 wrote:
hi, can someone help me to understand. it says the 3 digit number must be even. Does that mean the entire 3 digit to be even or just the unit number? because no where it says last number should be even?

Just starting out? Have a look at this thread : GMAT 2020 Study Plan! | Best GMAT books of 2020!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2020, 10:21
In this question, it has to be 3 digit number

units place has to have (0,2,4,6,8) - 5 ways
tens place can numbers between (0 to 9)
Hudred place should have numbers (1to9 ) excluding zero as a three digit number with zero at hundredths place will represent a 2 digit number . eg 024.

shouldn't it be 9*10*5 = 450 ways

Please clarify egmat
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mark’s clothing store uses a bar-code system to identify every item.   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2020, 10:21

Mark’s clothing store uses a bar-code system to identify every item.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics