GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Mar 2020, 04:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 25
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Other)
Reviews Badge
Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2015, 21:19
I am looking to transition my career into technology product management.

I am fortunate to have admits from BYU and UBC for Fall 2015.

I intend to work in the technology sector. The placement stats are definitely better at Marriott due to the proximity to the silicon valley and intern-ships are easily accessible as well.
Being an international student, I am a little concerned about the strict visa policies in the US.

Sauder has a great reputation in Canada on the other hand. Probably more reputed than byu in the US. But, the job market is not as big as it is in the US. However, the visa policies are great for internationals and the work permit is automatically granted post graduation.

I am open to any and all suggestions. I need to make this decision in less that 2 weeks. :-|
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 25
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2015, 22:48
1
Vibranture wrote:
Hi Shankar,

Congrats on your admissions!

As a US-MBA alum and someone with experience living across states, here are my inputs:

- US visa policies are strict, no doubt about that. First it depends a lot on getting a willing employer to send in your visa application, then you have to be lucky enough to make it through the quota. But if you have to work in US, a US-based B-school is your best bet. It would be very difficult to find placements in US early in your career with a Canadian MBA.

- Technology product management opportunities are definitely more in US, but you should how many suitable employers come to Utah campus. BYU's major placements have been in technology sector, so talk to the school adcom/ career center about your concern about visa sponsorship and see what they tell you. In case on-campus recruiting won't work, then you will have to be proactive and build personal connections with alums, folks in Silicon Valley if that is where you want to work. Utah isn't that close to SV, so that will be an added challenge for you.

- UBC offers you a great a city experience in addition to a good brand name. If you are willing and happy to make your career in Canada, this is a really good option.

Hope this helped :)

Good Luck!

- Shea

Vibranture MBA Admissions Consulting



Hey Shea,

Thank you for your inputs. I am personally leaning towards UBC for similiar reasons. I will talk to the alums from both UBC and BYU to make an informed decision. I am quite bothered by the fact that even after finding a wilful employer, my fate lies in the hands of a system which relies entirely on luck.

And also since the OPT stem extension is not possible for MBA grads, the situation seems a lot sketchy to me.. :(
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2014
Posts: 85
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
GPA: 3.15
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2015, 08:53
I would go to BYU.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2014
Posts: 9
Reviews Badge
Re: Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 21:36
While I cannot speak to the Quality of Sauder, BYU is a great school with great alums. If you are not already aware, there is a budding, rapidly growing tech sector in the Greater Salt Lake Metro area. Now, this is just speculation, but my experience in this area (lived here for 3 years) is that is is ethnically homogeneous and they are hungry for diversity. Could be a competitive advantage.

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Good is the enemy of great
Joined: 03 May 2014
Posts: 36
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2015, 07:31
My vote is for Sauder. It sits in a very good university and is one of Canada's best. Also, as you've mentioned, you would not have to worry about visa issues. That alone is a factor weighing heavily in favor of Sauder. If you're alright with making a career in Canada, have no second thoughts. If you have second thoughts, go to BYU.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 25
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2015, 03:30
1
Sareen21 wrote:
My vote is for Sauder. It sits in a very good university and is one of Canada's best. Also, as you've mentioned, you would not have to worry about visa issues. That alone is a factor weighing heavily in favor of Sauder. If you're alright with making a career in Canada, have no second thoughts. If you have second thoughts, go to BYU.


After putting in a lot of thought, I have decided to join BYU. Sauder is a great school. However, product management opportunities are very limited in Canada and Vancouver is an extremely small job market. And also, for a potential career switcher, Canada might not be a bright option. The only sector where Sauder scores over BYU is the readily available work permit post graduation in contrast to the H1 B visas, which are hard to come by, in the United States.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2014
Posts: 53
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 09:12
1
Congratulations on getting admitted to both the schools.

One more additional point that should be taken into consideration is the 'Honor Code' at BYU. I believe that the college asks its students to strictly adhere to it. Kindly go through the honor code given on the college website before making a decision.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 25
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 00:34
ameyagmat1989 wrote:
Congratulations on getting admitted to both the schools.

One more additional point that should be taken into consideration is the 'Honor Code' at BYU. I believe that the college asks its students to strictly adhere to it. Kindly go through the honor code given on the college website before making a decision.


I am well aware of the Honour Code. The application process makes sure that you are aware of the code. I spoke to several students who are not members of the church as well to understand the college's requirement better.

Thank you for the Input.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2014
Posts: 150
Re: Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 01:35
shankar35619 wrote:
ameyagmat1989 wrote:
Congratulations on getting admitted to both the schools.

One more additional point that should be taken into consideration is the 'Honor Code' at BYU. I believe that the college asks its students to strictly adhere to it. Kindly go through the honor code given on the college website before making a decision.


I am well aware of the Honour Code. The application process makes sure that you are aware of the code. I spoke to several students who are not members of the church as well to understand the college's requirement better.

Thank you for the Input.


shankar35619, Do you mind sharing your research on the Honor Code at BYU? You said you spoke to students who are not members of the church. Are the expectations different for members and non-members?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 174
Location: Germany
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.51
Re: Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 05:09
Hey Guys, great discussion here. I also got an offer from Sauder and additionally Owen. I am still waiting for Georgetown.

I, too, want to go into product management and your input really helps here, thank you guys. My favor to join Owen grows stronger...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 25
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 03:22
MBAGirl17 wrote:
shankar35619 wrote:
ameyagmat1989 wrote:
Congratulations on getting admitted to both the schools.

One more additional point that should be taken into consideration is the 'Honor Code' at BYU. I believe that the college asks its students to strictly adhere to it. Kindly go through the honor code given on the college website before making a decision.


I am well aware of the Honour Code. The application process makes sure that you are aware of the code. I spoke to several students who are not members of the church as well to understand the college's requirement better.

Thank you for the Input.


shankar35619, Do you mind sharing your research on the Honor Code at BYU? You said you spoke to students who are not members of the church. Are the expectations different for members and non-members?


The Honour code is implemented seriously at BYU. However, From what I hear, It is not at all hard to get used to these rules. I personally do not have a problem with the points mentioned. And besides when you are getting quality education for an affordable sum, these rules should not stand in your way. Having said that, it is a personal opinion.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 May 2014
Posts: 5
Re: Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2015, 04:58
Shankar,

Could u plz share the finding in post mba H1B visa after discussion with alum ??
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2015, 04:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Marriott (BYU) v/s Sauder (UBC, Canada)

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne