It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marvin s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Marvin s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 16:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 368

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 19:37
Also doesn't option B can be implied to say that Marwin did Spill the punchbowl in places that were hidden, while he was drinking it(insome obscure or hidden place).

Feel Free to Press Kudos if you like the way I think :).

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 368

Non-Human User

Premium Member
Re: Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 06:55

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3
Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 12:40
I do not think option B is the correct answer, because there are in fact two assumptions:

1. If marvin drank the bowl, there would have been some spillage.
2. The examiner's ability

B only removes the doubt produced by #2, but #1 remains. If there is no guarantee for spillage, then #2 is moot. #2 only comes into play after #1 can be safely concluded.

I think E provides a better alternative for why Marvin did not drink the bowl.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 7

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 13:37

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 23:03
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:
Marvin’s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in that there is no evidence that he drank the entire container of punch despite the fact that he was the only person known to have been by the punchbowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would inevitably have spilled on the tile, but I examined the tile carefully and found no evidence of spilled punch. Thus Marvin must not have drunk the entire punchbowl.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. Most large drinks that have been imbibed at parties result in significant spillage.

B. The person examining the tile for evidence of spilled punch has been able to detect such evidence in considerably more obscure, hidden places.

C. Marvin’s behavior at the party was observed for the first time by the examiner.

D. Many of the other telltale signs of a punchbowl’s being consumed were found.

E. At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.

Let's analyze the argument.

Premises (assumed to be true):
- There is no evidence that Marvin drank the entire container of punch.
- He was the only person known to have been by the punch bowl between the time it was filled and the time it was observed to be empty. (Mind you, the premise doesn't say that he WAS the only person. It only says that he was the only person KNOWN to have been by the bowl. If someone else did go to the bowl, it is not known)
- If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would have spilled on the tile. (Taken to be a fact. If he had drunk the whole bowl, some punch would have spilled)
- I examined the tile carefully and found no evidence of spilled punch. (I examined and found no spillage is given. This doesn't mean there was no spillage. The point is that I found none)

Conclusion: Marvin must not have drunk the entire punch bowl.

There is one way in which we can prove beyond doubt that Marvin did not drink the entire punch bowl - if we can prove that there was certainly no spillage. 'I found no spillage' doesn't mean there was none. But if I am good at detecting spillage, it strengthens the conclusion that Marvin must not have drunk the entire punch bowl. It increases the probability that there is actually no spillage and hence the probability that Marvin did not drink the entire punch. Hence (B) is correct.

(E) At certain raucous parties like the party in question, some punchbowls are merely thrown out the window as part of a prank.
Option (E) provides an explanation of what could have happened to the punch (might have been thrown out - one of many possibilities) in case Marvin did not drink all of it. It doesn't strengthen the conclusion that Marvin did not drink the entire punch.

Hi
I'm really sorry, but I have a silly question

If Marvin had drunk the entire bowl, then some of the punch would have spilled on the tile. (Taken to be a fact. If he had drunk the whole bowl, some punch would have spilled)

what is the realtion between drinking all the punch and spilling it?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Re: Marvin s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2017, 23:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Marvin s behavior at the party last night is fascinating in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap