GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jul 2020, 21:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 13:52
1
MBADecoder wrote:
Ra50111 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Really appreciate any insight!

24 year-old white American male
UG Degree from Top-15 Liberal Arts College, Double-major in Economics and Mathematics & Statistics, 3.7 GPA
720 GMAT (plan on re-taking for 750+)
3 Years Work Experience as Big 4 M&A Consultant (think Strategy&, EY-Parthenon, Deloitte Monitor)
Junior Board member at largest NY non-for-profit (also project leader and dedicated volunteer)
President of Finance club during UG years
Post-MBA goal is IB (Life Sciences M&A)



Hi Ra50111,

We'll need to now more about your work experience- what you have done, how competitive has it been for you and how have you fard as compared to peers. Additionally, what are your work-related achievements?
The volunteering experience sounds good and Wharton students do a lot on the social impact front, so you can highlight this work in the application as an area where you will expand your skills or contribute at some of Wharton's own initiatives.
The goals look aligned with your M&A experience - you should be able to connect the dots and present a solid story that also justifies the need for an MBA



Thanks Namita!

The group I'm in is probably one step down from MBB and I would have 3 years work experience upon matriculation (expecting promotion this fall right before applications are due). I have worked on several high-profile transactions, owned client relationships, managed other associates and delivered tangible value (hundreds of millions). My two recommenders are current supervisors (one a senior partner) who will speak to these accomplishments. My firm does not formally rank us as compared to our peers but I expect my recommendations will illustrate highly-favorable performance.

Are there any specific professional achievements Wharton would expect from someone at my level?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 2008
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 07:33
Ra50111 wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
Ra50111 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Really appreciate any insight!

24 year-old white American male
UG Degree from Top-15 Liberal Arts College, Double-major in Economics and Mathematics & Statistics, 3.7 GPA
720 GMAT (plan on re-taking for 750+)
3 Years Work Experience as Big 4 M&A Consultant (think Strategy&, EY-Parthenon, Deloitte Monitor)
Junior Board member at largest NY non-for-profit (also project leader and dedicated volunteer)
President of Finance club during UG years
Post-MBA goal is IB (Life Sciences M&A)



Hi Ra50111,

We'll need to now more about your work experience- what you have done, how competitive has it been for you and how have you fard as compared to peers. Additionally, what are your work-related achievements?
The volunteering experience sounds good and Wharton students do a lot on the social impact front, so you can highlight this work in the application as an area where you will expand your skills or contribute at some of Wharton's own initiatives.
The goals look aligned with your M&A experience - you should be able to connect the dots and present a solid story that also justifies the need for an MBA



Thanks Namita!

The group I'm in is probably one step down from MBB and I would have 3 years work experience upon matriculation (expecting promotion this fall right before applications are due). I have worked on several high-profile transactions, owned client relationships, managed other associates and delivered tangible value (hundreds of millions). My two recommenders are current supervisors (one a senior partner) who will speak to these accomplishments. My firm does not formally rank us as compared to our peers but I expect my recommendations will illustrate highly-favorable performance.

Are there any specific professional achievements Wharton would expect from someone at my level?


We helped someone apply with a Big 4 background and he went to the Wharton Lauder program. So its not impossible. Although I will admit he had an irresistible GMAT score and also a very strong undergrad GPA.
It will be important for you to convey that you were able to shine and make a place for yourself in your organization (which probably has a big representation of applications at Wharton and the others), despite your lesser experience. They will ofcourse look for leadership (ability to influence, persuade, initiate, drive) and the impact you created on client work/ your company. Your extra-curriculars as we already discussed, are good.
The GMAT increase sounds like a must.

Also, you can wait another year before you apply. That will put you more in the range of the class average. Your profile as I understand from the description of your work, will only get stronger.
_________________
Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2019
Posts: 2
Location: China
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.27
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2020, 07:17
Hi everyone, I'm a Chinese applicant interested in Top MBA programs in US entry 2021(aim to apply in R1). Here is my profile:

Background and nationality: Chinese Male 28
Undergrad Information: Undergraduate degree in top 4 universities in China, majored in financial management, GPA 3.28/4(around 3.5/4 in last two years)
TOEFL:108(Speaking:23, Reading:28, Listening:30,Writing:27)
GMAT: 750 (Verbal:40, Quant:51, AWA:5.5, IR:7)
Work experience and leadership: Currently not employed(will explain below). Previously 4.5 years working experience in investment banking departments in securities firms in China, focusing on execution of fixed-income products, such as asset-backed securities and corporate bonds. In those years I got promoted from analyst to associate and from team member to team leader(project based). One concern is that I have been in 4 companies in the 4.5 years, majorly because my supervisors changed a lot (I will have one major supervisor to explain this in a recommendation letter).
Community and others: had some volunteer experiences in university
Post MBA goals: equity research/ asset management (other finance positions such as IB are considered too)

Current Situation***: My original plan was to have a MBA program in Canada due to family reasons, and I got Rotman(U of Toronto)'s FT-MBA admission of 2020 entry. with the offer I quitted my job in Feb 2020 and was planning to travel a lot before the MBA, while the COVID-19 changed everything. Now it seems I will need to have online courses for at least a half year if I stick to Rotman, but it will definitely hurt my MBA experience, which led me to consider other options such as US schools. The policy of Rotman is only allowing deposit refund (no deferral, can reapply next year), so I will take some risk if I choose not attend the program this year.

In this situation, here are my questions:
1. Can you help me to evaluate whether top b-schools like Wharton, CBS, Booth are realistic targets, and how likely will I receive an offer from 2nd tier schools like Yale, Darden, Stern or Fuqua. It will really help me to decide whether to take the risk of quitting Rotman.
2. I understand the unemployment condition will hurt my application, so I will definitely find a job recently. Let's say I will be at a private equity firm as a pre-MBA intern (responsibilities are consistent with post-MBA goal) when I apply, will this help? or will the schools only value a higher job position given my condition.
3. Do you think I need to retake TOEFL and/or GMAT? I'm confident to get a 110+/770+, but will the higher score give me a better chance?

Thanks so much!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 03:16
1
Would appreciate an evaluation for my application. Looking to apply to R1 2021 intake. Thanks in advance!

Background: 26-yo female from the Philippines

Undergrad: 3.85/4.00 undergrad GPA, majored in applied math in top local school. Graduated with highest GPA in my program. Also had a fair amount of leadership experience with extracurriculars, leading projects and small teams, but not incredibly significant (not student body president or anything like that).

GMAT: Haven't taken yet but tracking 730 on practice tests without complete review yet. Will be shooting for 760 up. [What score can I get away with?]

Work experience: 3 years analyst in a global investment bank, spent first 2 years in Manila doing country coverage then transferred to Singapore to corporate finance team. Admittedly, didn't have as strong technical background as peers at work (given my math bg vs their accounting / finance bg), but constantly highly rated for communication, other soft skills, and for being a quick learner. Not much leadership exp here as I was mostly working as analyst. Most would have been organizing charity events for our local office. Deal experience spanned Southeast Asia.

Currently doing strategic finance and fundraising for a South / Southeast Asia fintech startup. No leadership title on role or people to manage, as this team is composed of just me + CFO, but have been taking lead on some internal projects with positive feedback from management. I've been at this role for the past year.

Community and others: Taught Finance and Accounting part-time at my home university for 2 years, including mentoring students for competitions such as CFA Investment Research Challenge. Also started a financial advisory business on the side in Jan 2020, leveraging my experience in IB and my current role by advising local and US-based start-ups on creating investor decks, models, valuation, and the like. Also secured a contract from a US fund-of-funds to track their investee company stats on a quarterly basis.

Post MBA goals
Short term: Join a VC / PE / Consulting firm and gain more experience and credibility for my medium/long-term goal (below)
Medium/Long term: Build and grow my current business into a full-blown advisory and financial services outsourcing company in the Philippines

Why Wharton - in line with above, i'm looking for a school with a strong finance and entrepreneurship program
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Nov 2016
Posts: 7
Location: India
Schools: Haas '22, ISB '21
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2020, 06:37
Hello everyone, I'm looking to apply to the R1 2021 intake. Would love to get community's thoughts on my profile and my chances. Thanks in advance!

Background: 25-yo Indian male.

Undergrad: 5.85/10.00 undergrad GPA, majored in computer science from a state university.

GMAT: Haven't taken yet but tracking 730 on practice tests without complete review yet. Will be shooting for 760 up. [What score can I get away with?]

Work experience: Total 4 years of work experience as of Aug 20.

1 year at an early venture capital firm.

2 years of leadership development program at a high growth robotics startup. Here I ​led multiple strategic initiatives​, ​launched and scaled new cross-functional programs​, and ​developed leadership communications​ & company narratives.

1 year of SW Product Management at the same startup.

2 promotions so far, and multiple recognitions by the company CEO.

Extra-curriculars: Volunteered with a national not-for-profit for 3 years, helping and enabling local entreprenuers.


Post MBA goals
Short term: Join a VC / PE firm and gain more experience and credibility for my medium/long-term goal (below)
Medium/Long term: Launch my own VC fund to support enable local entrepreneurs and help build the Indian growth story.

Why Wharton - in line with above, i'm looking for a school with a strong finance and entrepreneurship program
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
V
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2846
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2020, 07:09
Ra50111

You're a bit on the young side, but it looks like maybe you graduated early? 3 years is fine if you have had a chance to demonstrate initiative, leadership, problem solving, teamwork and make a tangible impact. What is the GMAT breakout?

I hope your quant is at least 47; if not definitely retake. Probably should anyways because you are part of an overrepresented profile group. I like the analytical UG work however; if you have strong quant subject grades 47 would work.

Really like that you are a junior board member at the not for profit; I have found that this level of community involvement really helps out younger candidates. One of my French engineering clients had 2 years exp, board involvement on several fronts, 650 GMAT and miraculously got into Wharton.

Do you have any data points connecting to Life Sciences? IB is a feat in and of itself - so make sure to do your research to make sure its a realistic goal that you can sell to admissions convincingly.

Ra50111 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Really appreciate any insight!

24 year-old white American male
UG Degree from Top-15 Liberal Arts College, Double-major in Economics and Mathematics & Statistics, 3.7 GPA
720 GMAT (plan on re-taking for 750+)
3 Years Work Experience as Big 4 M&A Consultant (think Strategy&, EY-Parthenon, Deloitte Monitor)
Junior Board member at largest NY non-for-profit (also project leader and dedicated volunteer)
President of Finance club during UG years
Post-MBA goal is IB (Life Sciences M&A)

_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
MBA Prep Coach
Verified reviews posted on https://mbaessaycoaching.com/testimonials
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2020, 16:37
Thanks Farrell!

Understand my work experience is below average in tenure, but I am confident my essays and recommendations will speak to all of the things you mentioned.

I actually just took the Online GMAT and my breakout is as follows (Total: 730, Q:48, V:42, IR:8). I don't think I am in a position to take it again, but I have strong grades in my math and econ courses. Do schools care at all about IR?

My time at the non-profit has been amazing but I think some of the electives at the top-MBA programs will enable me to broaden my philanthropic activities beyond the typical fundraising and volunteering.

I am targeting Life Sciences specifically because those are the clients I have primarily supported as an M&A consultant and I really enjoy the work. I am also part of the Life Sciences community of practice at my firm and all of my internships were in healthcare. The deal market for the sector is huge and growing but if my career goal is too targeted, I can just focus on IB. I think the major switch for me will be going from Life Sciences M&A (Strategy and Operations) to Life Sciences M&A (Financing and Deal Origination). My dream job is to be a corporate development executive at a major pharma player, a role that would involve the skills developed both pre- and post-MBA.

MBAPrepCoach wrote:

You're a bit on the young side, but it looks like maybe you graduated early? 3 years is fine if you have had a chance to demonstrate initiative, leadership, problem solving, teamwork and make a tangible impact. What is the GMAT breakout?

I hope your quant is at least 47; if not definitely retake. Probably should anyways because you are part of an overrepresented profile group. I like the analytical UG work however; if you have strong quant subject grades 47 would work.

Really like that you are a junior board member at the not for profit; I have found that this level of community involvement really helps out younger candidates. One of my French engineering clients had 2 years exp, board involvement on several fronts, 650 GMAT and miraculously got into Wharton.

Do you have any data points connecting to Life Sciences? IB is a feat in and of itself - so make sure to do your research to make sure its a realistic goal that you can sell to admissions convincingly.

Ra50111 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Really appreciate any insight!

24 year-old white American male
UG Degree from Top-15 Liberal Arts College, Double-major in Economics and Mathematics & Statistics, 3.7 GPA
720 GMAT (plan on re-taking for 750+)
3 Years Work Experience as Big 4 M&A Consultant (think Strategy&, EY-Parthenon, Deloitte Monitor)
Junior Board member at largest NY non-for-profit (also project leader and dedicated volunteer)
President of Finance club during UG years
Post-MBA goal is IB (Life Sciences M&A)
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
V
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2846
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2020, 19:52
It sounds like you have some terrific datapoints connecting with your career goal, the switch you are looking to make is not too ambitious at all whatsoever.

so please listen to this there is no career goal that is too targeted.

You absolutely want to have a clear industry a clear focus clear role all of that really specifically articulated in everything you submit - because if you have something clear in your mind you're more likely to make that manifest and the admissions committee knows that!

If you say that you want to deal with this at the intersection of that in this or that industry then you're not going to have a clear focus when you hit the ground looking for internships.

It makes you look like an admissions risk.

Capiche?

Ra50111

Ra50111 wrote:
Thanks Farrell!

Understand my work experience is below average in tenure, but I am confident my essays and recommendations will speak to all of the things you mentioned.

I actually just took the Online GMAT and my breakout is as follows (Total: 730, Q:48, V:42, IR:8). I don't think I am in a position to take it again, but I have strong grades in my math and econ courses. Do schools care at all about IR?

My time at the non-profit has been amazing but I think some of the electives at the top-MBA programs will enable me to broaden my philanthropic activities beyond the typical fundraising and volunteering.

I am targeting Life Sciences specifically because those are the clients I have primarily supported as an M&A consultant and I really enjoy the work. I am also part of the Life Sciences community of practice at my firm and all of my internships were in healthcare. The deal market for the sector is huge and growing but if my career goal is too targeted, I can just focus on IB. I think the major switch for me will be going from Life Sciences M&A (Strategy and Operations) to Life Sciences M&A (Financing and Deal Origination). My dream job is to be a corporate development executive at a major pharma player, a role that would involve the skills developed both pre- and post-MBA.

MBAPrepCoach wrote:

You're a bit on the young side, but it looks like maybe you graduated early? 3 years is fine if you have had a chance to demonstrate initiative, leadership, problem solving, teamwork and make a tangible impact. What is the GMAT breakout?

I hope your quant is at least 47; if not definitely retake. Probably should anyways because you are part of an overrepresented profile group. I like the analytical UG work however; if you have strong quant subject grades 47 would work.

Really like that you are a junior board member at the not for profit; I have found that this level of community involvement really helps out younger candidates. One of my French engineering clients had 2 years exp, board involvement on several fronts, 650 GMAT and miraculously got into Wharton.

Do you have any data points connecting to Life Sciences? IB is a feat in and of itself - so make sure to do your research to make sure its a realistic goal that you can sell to admissions convincingly.

Ra50111 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Really appreciate any insight!

24 year-old white American male
UG Degree from Top-15 Liberal Arts College, Double-major in Economics and Mathematics & Statistics, 3.7 GPA
720 GMAT (plan on re-taking for 750+)
3 Years Work Experience as Big 4 M&A Consultant (think Strategy&, EY-Parthenon, Deloitte Monitor)
Junior Board member at largest NY non-for-profit (also project leader and dedicated volunteer)
President of Finance club during UG years
Post-MBA goal is IB (Life Sciences M&A)


Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
MBA Prep Coach
Verified reviews posted on https://mbaessaycoaching.com/testimonials
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jun 2020
Posts: 12
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2020, 20:16
Hello all, and hope everybody is staying safe! Would love an honest profile evaluation if possible.

Background:
White Male
Age 26

College:
Finance degree from "Public Ivy" (but not one that's quite UVA/Berkeley caliber) with top 10 undergraduate business school
3.6 GPA

GMAT: 730

Work Experience:
4 years at top real estate mortgage banking firm (though unsure if MBA programs have a sense for what "top" mortgage banking firms are, so not sure how much this helps me). Have held multiple roles within the firm, a path I chose to broaden my skill set.

Extracurriculars:
Admittedly a weak spot. Outside of work I stay involved with a leadership role in my high school's alumni association, which is something I'm passionate about, but I'm not sure how this would be viewed by an MBA admissions office.

Post MBA Goals:
Move to investment side of real estate, leverage Wharton brand and network to help source equity investor relationships. However a lot of the interest in pursuing an MBA is to explore the PropTech field, where I could leverage my real estate knowledge but would certainly be looking at it though a different lens that MBA classes and connections would really help with.

Other comments:
Would be nervous to seek a recommendation from a direct supervisor given economic uncertainty during the pandemic, but could get a good recommendation from a direct supervisor who now works for a competitor.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2020
Posts: 1
Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2020, 17:39
Would appreciate an evaluation for my application. Looking to apply to R1 2021 intake. Applying for MPP/MBA dual programs

Background: 26-yo Asian American male first generation immigrant (dual citizenship with an Southeast Asian country if that matters)
UG Degree from USC (top 25) , Major in Business Admin and minor in Math, 3.94 GPA first generation college grad
GRE: 331 (169Q, 162V) the conversion gives 750 GMAT (should I retake as I heard adcoms are seeing retakes as a signal of self-improvement....)Work
Work Experience: 3.5 Years as Big 4 M&A Consultant (Valuation Services- notable experience in Entertainment and exceptional performance per feedback (will have a very strong letter from direct MD))
Extra:
Executive member of local office diversity group (strong and notable involvement/result): 2 years
Board member/core operating member of a local performance art non-profit: 2 years
Alumni involvement since I work in same city as my undergrad: 3 years
Post-MBA goal:
1) Pivot/transition back to Southeast Asia (will tie to reason I want to do MPP (regional dynamic is very complex (think EU)))
2) Career goal: short-term: TMT consulting long-term: entertainment tech/ fintech executive in the region

Thank you in advance!
GMAT Club Bot
Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2020, 17:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   [ 190 posts ] 

Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: xprometheusx, SageJiraiya






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne