Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [8]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [2]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Mastering the GMAT by Using Untimed Practice [#permalink]
Kudos
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
I recommend that people to do most of their practice GMAT questions untimed, to give themselves time to learn. At the same time, it is the case that, when taking the GMAT, a test-taker has on average only two minutes, or a little less in the case of verbal, to answer each question.

So, how does one progress from doing untimed practice to answering questions in around two minutes each when taking the test? The answer is that you can go through a few stages to get to the end goal.

First Stage - Completely Ignoring the Clock

In the beginning, you don't consider the time at all when you are practicing. You can play with questions, consider all the angles, carefully analyze choices, and maybe even go back to review concepts as you answer a question. Sometimes you may spend a half hour or more on one question.

At this stage, your primary focus is learning and developing high accuracy.

Second Stage - Considering Time Per Question

Then, as you prepare more, you can start considering the amount of time you spend on each question. Notice that considering the time is different from cutting yourself off at two or three minutes per question. You are considering how long answering a question is taking you and how you could cut down the time. For instance, maybe answering a typical Combinations question takes you four minutes. Cutting yourself off at two minutes isn't really going to help you learn. OK, sure you chose an answer, but you didn't go through the motions that you need to go through to reliably answer such questions when you are taking the test, and you didn't really learn how to answer the question in two minutes. So, what can you do instead?

What you can do instead is work on driving the time down by finding ways to be more efficient in answering the questions. If you get down to three minutes per question, you have achieved a win, and you can keep working on that question type until you answer such questions in two minutes each.

At this stage, you are working on applying what you have learned and answering questions more quickly while maintaining accuracy.

Third Stage - All Out Timed Practice

Finally, as you get closer to your test day, maybe a month out, you can start doing timed practice. You may do sets of ten questions in 20 minutes for each set, or you may decide to do timed sets of 31 quant questions or 36 verbal questions to get accustomed to the time pressure of the test.

At the same time, one cool thing is that, if you have prepared effectively and worked your time per question down, the time constraints won't mean that much, because you'll naturally be answering questions in around the time allotted. So, the timed practice will be more of a way of putting some finishing touches on your skills than something significantly different from what you had been doing previously.

Meanwhile, you don't have to answer every question in two minutes or less. If some take you a little longer, no big deal. When you take the test, some questions you'll answer in less than the allotted time, and others you'll answer in more than the allotted time.

Summary

So, that's the process. Totally untimed -> considering the time and working it down while maintaining form and accuracy -> all out timed practice.

Great Post !!Thank you .
It would be helpful if you could post one article mentioning different factors or problems that contribute to someone, especially non-native English speakers, to take longer than 2 minutes while answering different verbal ques types -RC,CR, and SC- and possible solution to overcome those problems.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nis20 wrote:
I practice questions from the GMATCLUB question bank and I have ran out of questions for most quant topics in the 600-700 level under the tags official guide, gmat prep and gmat paper test. I have completed 80% of OG 2021 questions. I have left the end part which are higher level.
Should I start doing questions which are not official now?

Yes, go for it.

By the way, if you haven't already used all the official practice tests, then you may want to stop using the questions tagged "GMAT Prep," because most of those questions are questions from the practice tests. So, by using them, you'll ruin the practice tests for yourself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 159
GMAT 1: 530 Q36 V27
Send PM
I practice questions from the GMATCLUB question bank and I have ran out of questions for most quant topics in the 600-700 level under the tags official guide, gmat prep and gmat paper test. I have completed 80% of OG 2021 questions. I have left the end part which are higher level.
Should I start doing questions which are not official now?
GMAT Club Bot