GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 12:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Math: Standard Deviation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Theory   
Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Happy to join ROSS!
Joined: 29 Sep 2010
Posts: 249
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Reviews Badge
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2011, 04:20
To confirm understanding: if we rephrase the example 4 to say:
Example #4
Q: There is a set A of 19 integers with mean 4 and standard deviation of 3. Now we form a new set B by adding 2 more elements to the set A. What two elements will increase the standard deviation the most?
A) 9 and 3
B) -3 and 3
C) 6 and 1
D) 4 and 5
E) 5 and 5

Then the solution will be B (gives 8 points increase to the variation)?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 91
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2011, 08:45
Vorskl wrote:
To confirm understanding: if we rephrase the example 4 to say:
Example #4
Q: There is a set A of 19 integers with mean 4 and standard deviation of 3. Now we form a new set B by adding 2 more elements to the set A. What two elements will increase the standard deviation the most?
A) 9 and 3
B) -3 and 3
C) 6 and 1
D) 4 and 5
E) 5 and 5

Then the solution will be B
(gives 8 points increase to the variation)
?


Your answer is correct but the "variance" need not be an increase of 8.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 91
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2011, 21:52
Not seen any questions for Normal distribution, is it tested on GMAT?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 2996
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2011, 04:45
puneetj wrote:
Not seen any questions for Normal distribution, is it tested on GMAT?


You are right. I should change "you can rarely see" to "you will never see"
_________________
HOT! GMAT Club Forum 2020 | GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APPs, must-have apps especially if you aim at 700+
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2011
Posts: 1
Location: Summit
Schools: Columbia Business school,Johnson Business school
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2011, 18:09
Very very useful and easy to understand.Thanks so much :-D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2011
Posts: 20
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2011, 07:43
1
Could you pls explain why (2) alone is not insufficient? Is it because we don't have information of the number elements? that's why (2) is telling nothing useful? thanks....

Example #2
Q: There is a set of consecutive even integers. What is the standard deviation of the set?
(1) There are 39 elements in the set.
(2) the mean of the set is 382.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 2996
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2011, 09:35
1
yes, you are right.

it can be {380,382,384} or {378, 380,382,384, 386} for example. Standard deviation of second set is greater than that of first set.
_________________
HOT! GMAT Club Forum 2020 | GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APPs, must-have apps especially if you aim at 700+
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 47
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2012, 07:57
walker wrote:
yes, you are right.

it can be {380,382,384} or {378, 380,382,384, 386} for example. Standard deviation of second set is greater than that of first set.


I know this is an old post but need to clear this concept..... Please explain how statement 1 alone is sufficient as it gives only the number of elements....how can we only use that to answer the question as to what is standard deviation of the set....
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59561
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2012, 08:05
avaneeshvyas wrote:
walker wrote:
yes, you are right.

it can be {380,382,384} or {378, 380,382,384, 386} for example. Standard deviation of second set is greater than that of first set.


I know this is an old post but need to clear this concept..... Please explain how statement 1 alone is sufficient as it gives only the number of elements....how can we only use that to answer the question as to what is standard deviation of the set....


Two very important properties of standard deviation:

If we add or subtract a constant to each term in a set:
Mean will increase or decrease by the same constant.
SD will not change.

If we increase or decrease each term in a set by the same percent (multiply all terms by the constant):
Mean will increase or decrease by the same percent.
SD will increase or decrease by the same percent.


You can try it yourself:
SD of a set: {1,1,4} will be the same as that of {5,5,8} as second set is obtained by adding 4 to each term of the first set.

That's because Standard Deviation shows how much variation there is from the mean. And when adding or subtracting a constant to each term we are shifting the mean of the set by this constant (mean will increase or decrease by the same constant) but the variation from the mean remains the same as all terms are also shifted by the same constant.

Back to the original question:

There is a set of consecutive even integers. What is the standard deviation of the set?

(1) There are 39 elements in the set --> SD of a set of ANY 39 consecutive even integers will be the same, as any set of 39 consecutive even integers can be obtained by adding constant to another set of 39 consecutive integers. For example: set of 39 consecutive integers {4, 6, 8, ..., 80} can be obtained by adding 4 to each term of another set of 39 consecutive integers: {0, 2, 4, ..., 76}. So we can calculate SD of {0, 2, 4, ..., 76} and we'll know that no matter what our set actually is, its SD will be the same. Sufficient.

(2) The mean of the set is 382 --> knowing mean gives us nothing, we must know the number of terms in the set, as SD of {380, 382, 384} is different from SD of {378, 380, 382, 384, 386}. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 47
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2012, 08:30
Bunuel wrote:
avaneeshvyas wrote:
walker wrote:
yes, you are right.

it can be {380,382,384} or {378, 380,382,384, 386} for example. Standard deviation of second set is greater than that of first set.


I know this is an old post but need to clear this concept..... Please explain how statement 1 alone is sufficient as it gives only the number of elements....how can we only use that to answer the question as to what is standard deviation of the set....


Two very important properties of standard deviation:

If we add or subtract a constant to each term in a set:
Mean will increase or decrease by the same constant.
SD will not change.

If we increase or decrease each term in a set by the same percent (multiply all terms by the constant):
Mean will increase or decrease by the same percent.
SD will increase or decrease by the same percent.


You can try it yourself:
SD of a set: {1,1,4} will be the same as that of {5,5,8} as second set is obtained by adding 4 to each term of the first set.

That's because Standard Deviation shows how much variation there is from the mean. And when adding or subtracting a constant to each term we are shifting the mean of the set by this constant (mean will increase or decrease by the same constant) but the variation from the mean remains the same as all terms are also shifted by the same constant.

Back to the original question:

There is a set of consecutive even integers. What is the standard deviation of the set?

(1) There are 39 elements in the set --> SD of a set of ANY 39 consecutive even integers will be the same, as any set of 39 consecutive even integers can be obtained by adding constant to another set of 39 consecutive integers. For example: set of 39 consecutive integers {4, 6, 8, ..., 80} can be obtained by adding 4 to each term of another set of 39 consecutive integers: {0, 2, 4, ..., 76}. So we can calculate SD of {0, 2, 4, ..., 76} and we'll know that no matter what our set actually is, its SD will be the same. Sufficient.

(2) The mean of the set is 382 --> knowing mean gives us nothing, we must know the number of terms in the set, as SD of {380, 382, 384} is different from SD of {378, 380, 382, 384, 386}. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.


Extending your logic can we go on to say that the sum of 39 consecutive even integers will be the same as that of a set with 39 consecutive odd integers and a constant added to it.....E.G: a set {4, 6, 8, ..., 80} can be obtained by adding 3 to a set {1, 3, 5, ..., 77}....
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59561
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2012, 08:32
avaneeshvyas wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
avaneeshvyas wrote:
Two very important properties of standard deviation:

If we add or subtract a constant to each term in a set:
Mean will increase or decrease by the same constant.
SD will not change.

If we increase or decrease each term in a set by the same percent (multiply all terms by the constant):
Mean will increase or decrease by the same percent.
SD will increase or decrease by the same percent.


You can try it yourself:
SD of a set: {1,1,4} will be the same as that of {5,5,8} as second set is obtained by adding 4 to each term of the first set.

That's because Standard Deviation shows how much variation there is from the mean. And when adding or subtracting a constant to each term we are shifting the mean of the set by this constant (mean will increase or decrease by the same constant) but the variation from the mean remains the same as all terms are also shifted by the same constant.

Back to the original question:

There is a set of consecutive even integers. What is the standard deviation of the set?

(1) There are 39 elements in the set --> SD of a set of ANY 39 consecutive even integers will be the same, as any set of 39 consecutive even integers can be obtained by adding constant to another set of 39 consecutive integers. For example: set of 39 consecutive integers {4, 6, 8, ..., 80} can be obtained by adding 4 to each term of another set of 39 consecutive integers: {0, 2, 4, ..., 76}. So we can calculate SD of {0, 2, 4, ..., 76} and we'll know that no matter what our set actually is, its SD will be the same. Sufficient.

(2) The mean of the set is 382 --> knowing mean gives us nothing, we must know the number of terms in the set, as SD of {380, 382, 384} is different from SD of {378, 380, 382, 384, 386}. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.


Extending your logic can we go on to say that the sum of 39 consecutive even integers will be the same as that of a set with 39 consecutive odd integers and a constant added to it.....E.G: a set {4, 6, 8, ..., 80} can be obtained by adding 3 to a set {1, 3, 5, ..., 77}....


Yes, that's correct.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 47
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2012, 09:05
So for GMAT sake all we should be concerned about is the number of terms, if a question of Determining the Standard deviation crops up...

Thank you for the brilliant explanation Bunuel.....
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59561
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2012, 09:08
avaneeshvyas wrote:
So for GMAT sake all we should be concerned about is the number of terms, if a question of Determining the Standard deviation crops up...

Thank you for the brilliant explanation Bunuel.....


Well, that's not correct. For this question yes, knowing that the set is composed of even integers and knowing the number of the terms in the set is sufficient to determine the standard deviation. But just knowing the number of the terms in a set is certainly not enough.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 47
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2012, 10:08
Bunuel wrote:
avaneeshvyas wrote:
So for GMAT sake all we should be concerned about is the number of terms, if a question of Determining the Standard deviation crops up...

Thank you for the brilliant explanation Bunuel.....


Well, that's not correct. For this question yes, knowing that the set is composed of even integers and knowing the number of the terms in the set is sufficient to determine the standard deviation. But just knowing the number of the terms in a set is certainly not enough.



could you put in an example for the same and also how then to go about such problems
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59561
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2012, 10:13
avaneeshvyas wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
avaneeshvyas wrote:
So for GMAT sake all we should be concerned about is the number of terms, if a question of Determining the Standard deviation crops up...

Thank you for the brilliant explanation Bunuel.....


Well, that's not correct. For this question yes, knowing that the set is composed of even integers and knowing the number of the terms in the set is sufficient to determine the standard deviation. But just knowing the number of the terms in a set is certainly not enough.



could you put in an example for the same and also how then to go about such problems


Check our question banks (viewforumtags.php) for more questions on SD.

DS questions on SD: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=34
PS questions on SD: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=55

Also, from my signature:
PS SD-problems: [PS Standard Deviation Problems]
DS SD-problems: [DS Standard Deviation Problems]


Hope it helps.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59561
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2013, 00:07
Bumping for review*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2014, 01:05
Under the "Properties "section , when a new element is added to a set ,it says , newer standard deviation is greater than the older standard deviation if | y - mean| >older standard deviation. Which mean is it alluding to? The mean after having a new element in the set or the old mean without the new element?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2014
Posts: 44
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2014, 05:38
Bunuel, so even for a set of consecutive odd integers, the S.D will be the same for a particular number of integers, whatever the integers may be?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59561
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2014, 06:07
gaurav1418z wrote:
Bunuel, so even for a set of consecutive odd integers, the S.D will be the same for a particular number of integers, whatever the integers may be?


For equal number of terms, yes. For example, {1, 3, 5, 7} and {11, 13, 15, 17} have the same standard deviation: \(\sqrt{5}\).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2015
Posts: 4
Re: Math: Standard Deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2015, 11:25
walker wrote:
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
...or it means that Standard deviation of any 39 consecitive even integers will be same as they are equally distributed with respect to the avarge ?


Exactly. Let's look at simple example,

{4,6,8} and {1004,1006,1008} they have the same STD because all elements of second set are shifted by constant number 1000.


thanks for the explanation but shouldn't the number here be "2" instead of "1000"?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Math: Standard Deviation   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2015, 11:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Math: Standard Deviation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne