Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [33]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management; Finance
Schools:Wharton (int); Booth (int)
 Q49  V42
GPA: 4.0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Re: Max Weber claimed that the traditions that theodicean [#permalink]
Great question this!

Seemingly easy comparison question at first glance...but the choice between A and E is a bit tricky.

The verb "are" is a bit distracting in choice A...but nicely placed to make everyone think!

Under the pressure of the real gmat -- it's not too hard to see a lot of people falling for the trap answer E (also happens to be the most concise)...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1938 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
A .. all the way

traditions (that theo societies develop) ARE more likely to result .. than ARE those (that nontheo societies develop)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The comparison in this sentence is supposed to be between the likely results for theodicean and non-theodicean societies. A is the only option that does this, so the answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
daagh wrote:
In this tricky question on comparison, one needs to fix the two arms of comparison first.
Is it between theodicean societies and the non-theodicean societies? No
Is it between the traditions of theodicean societies and the traditions of non-theodicean societies? No again

Look at the wordings carefully. “are more likely” to result in religious adherence “than are” those that non-theodicean societies develop”. Here those stands for the traditions. The essence of the text is that the comparison lies between what the theodicean traditions are likely to result in with what the non theodicean are likely to result in. The phrase ‘likely to result in’ is elliptical in the second arm. That is the reason we do require the verb ’are’ in the second arm to make the comparison parallel. Hence A is the choice.

In B C D and E the comparisons are wrongly done between what the theodicean traditions are likely to result in on one side and various other dissimilar things such traditions themselves, and what the non-theodicean societies' development would etc on the other side.

Though disguised in ellipsis, the comparison remains logical in only A

Daagh Sir,
I am assuming you are still active in the forum since this is an old post.

The comparison is as below -
"more likely to result in adherence than XXXX "
We can't have "are" to substitute for verb "result". Shouldn't "are" be replaced with "did/do"

"more likely to result in adherence than do the non theodicean soc..... "

To me, D seems close although it does have issue.
Kindly clarify.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
AKY13 wrote:
daagh wrote:
In this tricky question on comparison, one needs to fix the two arms of comparison first.
Is it between theodicean societies and the non-theodicean societies? No
Is it between the traditions of theodicean societies and the traditions of non-theodicean societies? No again

Look at the wordings carefully. “are more likely” to result in religious adherence “than are” those that non-theodicean societies develop”. Here those stands for the traditions. The essence of the text is that the comparison lies between what the theodicean traditions are likely to result in with what the non theodicean are likely to result in. The phrase ‘likely to result in’ is elliptical in the second arm. That is the reason we do require the verb ’are’ in the second arm to make the comparison parallel. Hence A is the choice.

In B C D and E the comparisons are wrongly done between what the theodicean traditions are likely to result in on one side and various other dissimilar things such traditions themselves, and what the non-theodicean societies' development would etc on the other side.

Though disguised in ellipsis, the comparison remains logical in only A

Daagh Sir,
I am assuming you are still active in the forum since this is an old post.

The comparison is as below -
"more likely to result in adherence than XXXX "
We can't have "are" to substitute for verb "result". Shouldn't "are" be replaced with "did/do"

"more likely to result in adherence than do the non theodicean soc..... "

To me, D seems close although it does have issue.
Kindly clarify.

Hello AKY13,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe that we can resolve your doubt.

Here, the verbs phrases in comparison are "are more likely to result" and "are those that non-theodicean societies develop"; the active verb in the first phrase is actually "are", so the comparison maps perfectly to "are" in the second.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
Send PM
Hi ExpertsGlobal5,

I am facing a lot of confusion in such comparisons where "are", "do" etc is used after "than". If possible can you do a detailed explanation of the approach for such a question? Sharing my approach below and where I am stuck

I am clear that we are comparing the Religious Adherence from the Traditions of TS vs the Religious Adherence from Traditions of NTS

A. Traditions of TS are more likely to result in Religious Adherence vs are those of NTS
How to figure out what "are" and "those" refer to?

B. Traditions of TS more likely to result in (a)RA of TS than (b)what NTS develops - Ambiguous meaning, Incorrect
C. Traditions of TS more likely to result in (a)RA of TS than (b)NTS's development would - Would have been correct according to me if it was "NTS's traditions would". Is that correct?

D. Traditions of TS more likely to result in (a)RA of TS than NTS's traditions do - Seems non-ambiguous to me in meaning

E. This is an ambiguous meaning hence eliminated

I couldn't decide between A and D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
really confused between where are/do is used
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators: