It is currently 19 Jan 2018, 21:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2406

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 15:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:32) correct 26% (01:21) wrong based on 103 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont's leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but each year since Delmont took office the average pay for the new jobs created has been higher than that year's average pay for jobs citywide. So it stands to reason that throughout Delmont's tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the advertisement?

A. The unemployment rate in the city is higher today than it was when Mayor Delmont took office.
B. The average pay for jobs in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.
C. Each year during Mayor Delmont's tenure, the average pay for jobs that were eliminated has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide.
D. Most of the jobs eliminated during Mayor Delmont's tenure were in declining industries.
E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently lower than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.

This is a new question from OG 2018. There is a similar question that comes from the earlier versions of OG.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2406

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 16:03
In my view - the answer is C. The argument claims that average pay check has been increasing compared to that of previous year. C dents it the most. What is the OA?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 46

Re: Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 21:19
Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont's leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but each year since Delmont took office the average pay for the new jobs created has been higher than that year's average pay for jobs citywide. So it stands to reason that throughout Delmont's tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the advertisement?

Argument: more jobs created than were eliminated, but each year since Delmont took office the average pay for the new jobs created has been higher than that year's average pay for jobs citywide.

A. The unemployment rate in the city is higher today than it was when Mayor Delmont took office.
-- Irrelevant - does not provide enough info (is Delmont still the Mayor or has someone else taken up the office)

B. The average pay for jobs in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.
-- Irrelevant - does not provide enough info about current situation

C. Each year during Mayor Delmont's tenure, the average pay for jobs that were eliminated has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide.
-- Weaken -- it says opposite happens - jobs with higher average were eliminated

D. Most of the jobs eliminated during Mayor Delmont's tenure were in declining industries.
-- Irrelevant - does not provide enough info about current situation

E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently lower than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.
-- Irrelevant - comaprison between city jobs to suburbs jobs

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 46

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 94

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 13:16
I'm going with C.

If the better than average jobs are eliminated and new better than average jobs are created based on the major's efforts, then the average shouldn't really change a lot. We should keep in mind though that an increase in the average wage might be possible, if the new jobs generate a higher income than the eliminated jobs. We can't tell that based on the given information though.

My goal: 700 GMAT score

If I could help you with my answer, please think about giving me Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 94

Re: Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2017, 13:16

Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap