Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 528
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
Send PM
Re: Mayor: There has been a long debate in city council about how to [#permalink]
I can see how option E is correct but any explanation why option B is incorrect?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Mayor: There has been a long debate in city council about how to [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmatbalar wrote:
I can see how option E is correct but any explanation why option B is incorrect?

Hello, gmatbalar. Answer choice (B) is incorrect because the two options—to build a new expressway or do nothing—are, in fact, mutually exclusive. (It is impossible to both do something and do nothing.) Thus, the argument is not vulnerable to such a criticism, and (B) cannot be correct.

The only other incorrect answer choice that seems to have snared a few people is (A), but the problem there is that the argument is based on even a conservative estimate of future traffic levels. We cannot assume that a wider range of estimates would likely project any less of a decrease in automobile traffic. (If anything, we might expect the wider range to encompass some estimates that were not as conservative—i.e. that future traffic levels might be worse than the argument posits.)

Perhaps the question makes more sense now, or at least (B) does. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Hello, gmatbalar. Answer choice (B) is incorrect because the two options—to build a new expressway or do nothing—are, in fact, mutually exclusive. (It is impossible to both do something and do nothing.) Thus, the argument is not vulnerable to such a criticism, and (B) cannot be correct.

The only other incorrect answer choice that seems to have snared a few people is (A), but the problem there is that the argument is based on even a conservative estimate of future traffic levels. We cannot assume that a wider range of estimates would likely project any less of a decrease in automobile traffic. (If anything, we might expect the wider range to encompass some estimates that were not as conservative—i.e. that future traffic levels might be worse than the argument posits.)

Perhaps the question makes more sense now, or at least (B) does. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Thanks for the clarification, Andrew. I knew they are mutually exclusive but the "vulnerable to criticism" makes sense now.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Economics
Schools: Booth '26
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
gmatbalar wrote:

- Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I preferred B, because i thought that it the plan proposed by Mayor could be so irrelevant that it is as impactful as doing nothing.
So they are mutually exclusive as they give us the same result.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts