Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [7]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [1]
Send PM
Re: MBA Interview Thank You Note Etiquette? [#permalink]
Kudos
tihor wrote:
opinion...

i interviewed and followed up with a thank you email the next day....the adcom member replied, saying "do not hesitate to ask if you have any more questions", i did not reply to that eail saying "thanks" or anything....is that rude on my part?

I don't think it's rude, you're overthinking this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I think snail mail can be retired for thank you notes...I know Emily Post might not see it that way but in the business world a well-written thank you email is not considered impolite or informal any longer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Sustainable Enterprise & Operations
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q48  V32 GMAT 2: 710  Q49  V38
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Send PM
I sent my thank you note 5 days later and haven't heard back from either of my interviewers... I'm taking this as a bad sign... But I also believe that "Thank You" notes don't mean too much.... They don't really change my opinion of the interviewee.... if that makes any sense...

Personally I think that just an email should be sufficient...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I think you've covered your bases. A thank you email (or card) following the interview is all that is warranted. It speaks well of you that she replied.
Current Student
Send PM
Makes sense. Thanks guys!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q48  V42
Send PM
opinion...

i interviewed and followed up with a thank you email the next day....the adcom member replied, saying "do not hesitate to ask if you have any more questions", i did not reply to that eail saying "thanks" or anything....is that rude on my part?
Current Student
Send PM
coakleym wrote:
ariel wrote:
I don't think it's rude, you're overthinking this.

I can't wait until I can find a nice school to settle down with, have a degree or two, and finally quit the application/interview game.

Ha, people told me that even in MBA school, you will have to write even more applications and do more interviews to apply for specific programs within the MBA curriculum. So it's an endless cycle.... :twisted:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Send PM
coakleym wrote:
I can't wait until I can find a nice school to settle down with, have a degree or two, and finally quit the application/interview game.

Hear, hear....this whole experience is so draining :/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
marymary wrote:
I think snail mail can be retired for thank you notes...I know Emily Post might not see it that way but in the business world a well-written thank you email is not considered impolite or informal any longer.

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your ideal make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Apart from that, this link below may be useful: Interview thank you letter
Pls try to keep posting.Tks and best regards
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Emily Post aside.... I think there are some realities and practicalities to keep in mind regarding the B school interview and thank you note. First, most interviewers are submitting their reports within 24 hours of the interview- and if they are regularly not doing that... they shouldn't be interviewing! But that's another story.... So the window to influence your interviewer is really to send an email within 24 hours. Now that's not to say that a very thoughtful hand written note might still catch the attention of an admissions committee member later in the process- so if you had a great conversation and really clicked or have some follow up materials to send-
snail mail can still have its place. But this process is fast moving and really by the time you walk out of the interview your fate is somewhat sealed- but it is still nice to thank people for their time- as B schools dedicate some significant resources to the interview process. Hope this gives some context for what to do! And for goodness sake- if you are doing a thank you note, don't have any mistakes or typos! So be sure to proofread before you hit send or lick the envelope! For more tips on all aspects of the MBA interview process- please reach out to us at Stratus where we can discuss your situation in more detail in a free consult. The link to set that up is here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/
ariel wrote:
After speaking with a few MBA2-s, who are involved in the admissions process, the resounding opinion is that thank you notes don't really matter that much at all (most of them would even prefer to not get them). If someone has decided to say no, they'll say no regardless and vice versa. For instance, MBA2-s at Ross have no more than 48 hours to submit a written report online detailing how you did. If your interview falls on a Friday, they are likely to submit the report on the same day, further proof that your thank you note is not going to change your chances of gaining admission whatsoever. My point is that there are far too many variables to even try to game this. If you're dead set on sending a note, do it within 48 hours (preferably 24 hours), and if you don't - that's no big deal either.

To the original poster, I think snail mail will be an overkill. You've already said thank you and it has been acknowledged, put it to bed IMHO.
GMAT Club Bot