GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson '21 (S)
MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 12:35
Hi there,

I am planning on targeting the top 10 schools for the 2019 intake but have a few doubts that I will like to clarify before moving forward with the next steps -

1. Indian male with 3 years of work experience
2. GMAT score - 730
3. Weakness - Undergrad from a poor college in India with average GPA. I am an engineer with B.Tech in Computer Science
4. Strength - My weakness can be explained because of my health condition during those years. I was a model student from the start with 95% in Xth standard and was doing well in XIth also before being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis, that made me hospitalised for almost a year. I started barely walking couple of months before XIIth exams but got 87% in them. Unfortunately didn't have time to prepare for engineering entrance exams and hence the undergrad school.
Though I have been making up for it since graduating with some really good work experience in the last 3 years. I have been an early stage key employee in one of India's leading digital entertainment companies, funded by the likes of Sequoia Capital. After doing various tasks from video production to marketing to recruiting, I along with the co-founders started the business development team and have helped in scaling that team from 2 to almost 15 now, spanning in 3 different cities. So work ex includes starting from entry position to the managerial level, doing multiple tasks across verticals with an entrepreneurial angle. My letter of recommendations will directly come from the co-founders, who are alumnus of top schools like Wharton and Princeton

A. How do I know if my profile is good enough for like these top 5 B-schools? Most seem to take into account good undergrad school and GPA and I am lacking in these despita having valid reasons or a very good growth story after graduating.

B. How to go on about school research as that seems to be one of the most important part of the application in terms showing a positive cultural fit. How to decide what the best schools for you are and not just go by the rankings?
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 13:15
Hi anulfc,

Thank you for your post and sharing your personal story. I admire the persistence you showed in overcoming the illness. Your work experience sounds interesting, too.

As you're likely aware, the pool of Indian male applicants is extremely crowded and competitive. Before you do anything else, I encourage you to review the following two GMAT Club posts / analyses: MBA Admissions Chances for Indian Applicants (Top 50 Analysis) and The Indian Male MBA Application Guide. You'll see that applicants with a 730 GMAT have only a 5% acceptance rate to the top 20 programs in the U.S, which is extremely low.

The top five and ten are even harder, of course, and most of them are among the most difficult programs to get into the world. Indian male applicants who get into these programs typically have prestige GMAT scores (750+), top undergrads, prestige work experience, and differentiating leadership and community involvement. With your current score and profile, you can potentially reach for a couple of T15-25 schools (they will be difficult), but you're really looking more outside of the top 20 and 25. Keep in mind that gaining acceptance to any program anywhere in the rankings requires hard work and excellent application execution.

You will need specific, compelling, and connected short- and long-term career goals; a coherent articulation of how who you are and what you've done to this point plus the MBA equals or leads to those goals; specific rationale for pursuing an MBA (why MBA); specific rationale for each program (you'll need a deep understanding of and sound articulation for each); a specific understanding of how you'll uniquely contribute to each program; a unique and authentic personal story; a discussion of the passion and purpose behind your goals; excellent essays, a great resume, superb recommendations, and so on so forth. You can read more about these topics here: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process.

I do work with clients on ad hoc School Selection and Strategy, so if you'd be interested in that, I would be happy to partner with you for a couple hours (via Hourly Services). You can read more about Avanti Prep's other services (Story and Career Goal Development, Essay Brainstorming, Essay Reviews and Editing, Resume Reviews and Editing, Video Prep, Recommender Selection and Preparation, Recommendation Review, Interview Prep, etc.) here: https://www.avantiprep.com/services.html

Please feel free to sign up for a Free Consultation via the link below!

Best Regards,
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep
MBA Admissions Consulting

Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 13:17
Regarding your question about school research and engagement and finding the right fit for you:

- Online research is a start, of course
- Many schools have online events or webinars
- Almost every program has "Student Ambassadors" of some kind, whom you can email in order to connect with a current student
- Try to connect with individuals who share your background or interests or are making a similar career transition as you
- Be polite, succinct, and respectful of time. They're there to help but two lines about you and your desired path is sufficient; just enough to get you in touch with the right person. No need for a long email.

You'll need to be super specific in your applications about your career goals and what exactly you're going to do, how you're going to contribute, and why you fit with each program -- down to the courses, clubs, case competitions, conferences, special programs, culture, community, location, career opportunities, etc. How is a given program going to help you build toward and achieve your goals? What unique perspective can you bring? What unique contributions can you make? Enhanced school research and engagement makes that come to life.

Most applications will go so far as to ask you what steps you've taken, events you've attended, and people you've chatted with. It's not a competition for "who has the most," but you don't want to get caught flat-footed there. Competitive applicants from your home area will take necessary steps to unlock the aforementioned specificity and articulate their fit with the program.

Keep in mind that not every contact or even is going to super helpful. Webinars and online chats can be hit or miss. But at least you're being active and taking credible steps to get to know the programs. That will give you a lot of specific information (beyond mere Googling) that will strengthen your applications, essays, and interviews.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep
MBA Admissions Consulting

GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation &nbs [#permalink] 11 Aug 2018, 13:17

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap