Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am sorry in case you find my questions a bit vague.
Well I have just started with my GMAT preparation and plan to give it around May/June probably based on the work pressure.

Meanwhile I was trying to find out what are the possible good options for me as by the time I join B-School I will have atleast 5 yrs of exp.

Am more interested in Bschool in Asia or Europe.
So wanted to know which would be the better options for my background.
Which is engg and IT Services industry.

I would like to go for an Enterpreneurship and Finance Management course as of now.

So can you suggest what are the options that I can look for a full time MBA.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Pats,

There are no of criteria to decide best B school for you. Many of them are personal like duration and location.

But overall I would suggest some good colleges such as LBS and Insead for finance management. Oxford is very good for entrepreneureship.
Many Indians of your background also opt for HEC. I think Fig will provide you more information on that college.

I might also want to consider NUS, Cambridge, Cranfield and Warwick.

Bradford, Lancaster, Edinburg, Strathclyde, Glasgow these are second tier UK universities. They are also good in program content. Just that they are not that recognized outside UK.

What I would suggest you is first concentrate on GMAT. Once you get score then spend some time in seriously shortlisting schools. Meanwhile just gather the information but don't put hell lot of efforts in it.

All the best!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
[#permalink]
Hi Rocky,
Congrats on been admitted to oxford.
My Profile is
Gmat :710
Work Ex : 3years Indian MNc(2 years in sweden)
GPA :3.8

Could please help me in finding answers to following questions

- How does an mba from UK b school stand against an MBA from US b school
- How good is ROI when doing an mba from UK B school.
- could please let me know which B schools in Uk should I apply..or where do stand a chance to be accepted.

Cheers
Yogesh
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
yogeshsheth wrote:

Yet UK schools are not match against ultra elite or elite schools in US (with strong exception of LBS).
So basically I guess there will be top 15 US schools and LBS and then UK schools will come into the picture. Again apart from Oxbridge, Other good UK schools such as Cranfield, Warwick etc are not very well know across the world.
But quality of education is as good as US schools if not better.

yogeshsheth wrote:

ROI for MBA in top 10 UK schools is far better than that of any school in US. Basically because UK MBA is one year program. And there are many other things like HSMP visa which will provide better chances of employment in UK. And post MBA salaries are good for top schools.

yogeshsheth wrote:
- could please let me know which B schools in Uk should I apply..or where do stand a chance to be accepted.

Chances are totally dependent on how you project yourself to schools....
But to give rough idea, you could try LBS as best shot. If you represent yourself good in app and interview, you have decent chances at other schools....
However again it all depends on what you are and how you show what you are.

All the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
Rocky wrote:
yogeshsheth wrote:

Yet UK schools are not match against ultra elite or elite schools in US (with strong exception of LBS).
So basically I guess there will be top 15 US schools and LBS and then UK schools will come into the picture. Again apart from Oxbridge, Other good UK schools such as Cranfield, Warwick etc are not very well know across the world.
But quality of education is as good as US schools if not better.

yogeshsheth wrote:

ROI for MBA in top 10 UK schools is far better than that of any school in US. Basically because UK MBA is one year program. And there are many other things like HSMP visa which will provide better chances of employment in UK. And post MBA salaries are good for top schools.

yogeshsheth wrote:

Chances are totally dependent on how you project yourself to schools....
But to give rough idea, you could try LBS as best shot. If you represent yourself good in app and interview, you have decent chances at other schools....
However again it all depends on what you are and how you show what you are.

All the best.

Thanks a lot Rocky.
If possible could please pm me your profile.
All the best for your course.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [0]
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
[#permalink]
So when ranking LBS, are we looking at a category that includes Wharton, Stanford, Chicago, and NYU ?

For management, consulting, Enterpre., and marketing, how is LBS ranked ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mishari wrote:
So when ranking LBS, are we looking at a category that includes Wharton, Stanford, Chicago, and NYU ?

For management, consulting, Enterpre., and marketing, how is LBS ranked ?

Basically Yes.
But there is some basic defference between US and Europe schools. US schools are recongnized world wide. These are 2 year programs and these schools are there for more than 4-5 decades. Additionally MBA is regarded more in US than in Europe. US schools are in the nation that is world's largest economy. So they have their own advantages. LBS lacks in these terms compared to H/S/W.

But for Entrepreneurship, management and consulting, LBS is equally good. Plus it is very good value for money compared to H/S/W.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rocky wrote:
Plus it is very good value for money compared to H/S/W.

Didn't get that, so you think living in London for 21mths plus a GBP45k tuition is not as much as what would be fot H/S/W?

For one years programmes I would agree, however, for LBS I think one would spend more than any other US school...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Indeed, with the weak US/GBP exchange rate, it would seem rather expensive to get a UK education... This is added to the exorbitant cost of living in London where one easily pays 250GBP/week (excluding utilities and council taxes) for a one bedroom flat.
However, having spent a year at LBS, I believe that consulting opportunities are great there although clearly not as good as INSEAD if this is the field you want to specialize in. I cannot speak for entrepreneurship though as I was not involved in that stream but there are indeed some active cells within the school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
What do you guys have to say about recruitment figures for Insead in comparision to LBS with regards to international students.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kwam wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Plus it is very good value for money compared to H/S/W.

Didn't get that, so you think living in London for 21mths plus a GBP45k tuition is not as much as what would be fot H/S/W?

For one years programmes I would agree, however, for LBS I think one would spend more than any other US school...

Well I did some more R n D about the costs at LBS and found that consedering the living costs in London, it is not really value for money program. I take my words back.
Actually I am so used to use that line for Oxford that I used it here also though wrongly this time. :oops:
Manager
Manager
Status:Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul wrote:
Indeed, with the weak US/GBP exchange rate, it would seem rather expensive to get a UK education... This is added to the exorbitant cost of living in London where one easily pays 250GBP/week (excluding utilities and council taxes) for a one bedroom flat.
However, having spent a year at LBS, I believe that consulting opportunities are great there although clearly not as good as INSEAD if this is the field you want to specialize in. I cannot speak for entrepreneurship though as I was not involved in that stream but there are indeed some active cells within the school.

Hi Paul,
What would be the comparison(with the US sloan fellow programmes and other elite schools there) like if one considers the Sloan fellow programme at LBS in terms of cost, ROI, networking, etc.? I intend to specialize in finance and/or consulting!
Thanks.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, for a 10 months programme, the cost is quite high (41.25k GBP) although flight and accomodation costs are included should you need to travel for school purposes.
This program obviously is for a more experienced students category although I am not expert in the field. All I know is that a friend of mine who did both the Sloan fellowhip and the MiF found the former more intensive (the MiF already being more intensive than the MBA). I cannot unfortunately compare that to US programmes as I do not want to mislead you.
Given that class size is much smaller, you get to know everybody quite well and I have seen many MDs being on board for the programme too so there goes the networking. The great advantage is that it is indeed only a 10months programme so you do somewhat save on the exorbitant costs of living in London.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would consider LBS roughly in line with the US elite cluster schools (e.g., Dartmouth or NYU).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have been researching UK MBA programmes for 6 months now.

My stats are 32 years old, 9 years woking exp, with 6 managerial.
Gmat 670 V40, Q42

Schools I have applied to are Oxford, Imperial College, HEC Paris, Cranfield.

My results have been:

Oxford - dinged with interview
HEC Paris - interview scheduled
Imperial - interview scheduled
Cranfiled - offer with scholarship

While I have not oficially accepted any offers I will most likely go to Cranfield.

Reasons being:

excellent industry contacts
excellent placement stats
excellent rankings by EIU, Forbes, business week, FT
At the open day their teaching was extremely impressive and only HEC equalled their efficiency in prosessing applications, which bodes well for the school.

The only drawback is that their facilities aren't as glamerous as the other
schools.

Any comments welcome before I make the final commitment :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
apieterse wrote:
I have been researching UK MBA programmes for 6 months now.

My stats are 32 years old, 9 years woking exp, with 6 managerial.
Gmat 670 V40, Q42

Schools I have applied to are Oxford, Imperial College, HEC Paris, Cranfield.

My results have been:

Oxford - dinged with interview
HEC Paris - interview scheduled
Imperial - interview scheduled
Cranfiled - offer with scholarship

While I have not oficially accepted any offers I will most likely go to Cranfield.

Reasons being:

excellent industry contacts
excellent placement stats
excellent rankings by EIU, Forbes, business week, FT
At the open day their teaching was extremely impressive and only HEC equalled their efficiency in prosessing applications, which bodes well for the school.

The only drawback is that their facilities aren't as glamerous as the other
schools.

Any comments welcome before I make the final commitment :-D

Hi,
I assume you interviewed at Cranfield. Would you be willing to describe your interview experience? You have probably already found this in your research but (cranfieldexperience(dot)blogspot(dot)com)* seemed an interesting window on the student experience.

*sorry for the convoluted form but the board will not allow me to post a link.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi.

The interview was pretty rigerous, 1 hour, had to give a 3 minute presentation and was then questioned by a member of staff. Various questions regarding my application and some scenario questions.

Then received a tour of the school and met with some current students.

I would suggest attending an open day, which includes a group syndicate discussion, very thorough.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2