GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 May 2020, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBB Consultant: Wharton, Haas, oder Anderson?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school to chose?

• 0% [0]
  • 100% [4]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Wharton '22
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge
MBB Consultant: Wharton, Haas, oder Anderson?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Dec 2019, 20:16
Hi all,
hope all is going well!

I have received three MBA offers for 2020 in the last weeks and am a bit undecided on which one to choose.

Background:
MBB Consultant from Europe, sponsored from MBB but will leave the company about 1 year after returning from MBA (plan is: MBA - 1 year MBB in US - transition into US tech if visa allows it, otherwise Europe tech). MBB will cover half of the tuition (no pay back), and the other half I will cover through tax returns.

Goal:
Move into Marketing / Product Management in Technology, preferably at West Coast if I get a Visa after my MBA, otherwise in Europe

Offer 1: Berkeley Haas (no scholarship)
Pro: Culture and people seem amazing; great fit + employer contacts for technology; amazing lifestyle in California
Cons: No scholarship; no absolute top-notch rankings

Offer 2: Wharton (no scholarship)
Pro: Very strong reputation, also in Europe; very smart peers and strong academics
Con: Philadelphia as city not comparable to lifestyle in Cali; culture seems a bit less positive and collaborative and more conservative; no scholarship; less strong network in technology

Offer 3: UCLA Anderson (80k USD scholarship)
Pro: Great fit + employer contacts for technology; amazing lifestyle in California; scholarship
Con: Relatively weak reputation compared to others and things that go along with it (lower quality peers, academics, networking)

What do you think? Any recommendations? Any points I am missing out on?

Would be great to hear your views - thanks so much!

Originally posted by Raio95 on 18 Dec 2019, 20:00.
Last edited by Raio95 on 18 Dec 2019, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: MBB Consultant: Wharton, Haas, oder Anderson?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 20:10
Congratulations! Fantastic job and it must be very late in Europe :dazed :)

You will be pretty busy in business school to say the least so while it is helpful to be in California in the winter, you’ll be so so stressed out and overworked that you hardly have time to sleep let alone have amazing lifestyle.

I’m not very clear about where you will be geographically after you finish your studies and return to your sponsor. Will you be heading back to Europe? Or are you relocating to the US? I assume you’re relocating to US.... but this part threw me off. Along with leaving after a year....

If you have to go back to Europe, Haas and Anderson will not carry much ring to them as you know. Haas is a top 10 program and would do good but if you have an admit from Wharton, I would not trade that opportunity to enjoy the Bay Area weather alone.

I think Anderson could be a consideration if you have gotten the full scholarship but with only 50% I don’t think it’s a fair trade for Wharton and the benefits you get from a much larger program with much better employment opportunities and a wider alumni network around the world.

PS. Will you have to pay back any of the tuition?

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Wharton '22
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 20:19
bb wrote:
Congratulations! Fantastic job and it must be very late in Europe :dazed :)

You will be pretty busy in business school to say the least so while it is helpful to be in California in the winter, you’ll be so so stressed out and overworked that you hardly have time to sleep let alone have amazing lifestyle.

I’m not very clear about where you will be geographically after you finish your studies and return to your sponsor. Will you be heading back to Europe? Or are you relocating to the US? I assume you’re relocating to US.... but this part threw me off. Along with leaving after a year....

If you have to go back to Europe, Haas and Anderson will not carry much ring to them as you know. Haas is a top 10 program and would do good but if you have an admit from Wharton, I would not trade that opportunity to enjoy the Bay Area weather alone.

I think Anderson could be a consideration if you have gotten the full scholarship but with only 50% I don’t think it’s a fair trade for Wharton and the benefits you get from a much larger program with much better employment opportunities and a wider alumni network around the world.

PS. Will you have to pay back any of the tuition?

Thanks for the quick reply! I updated my initial post a bit to reflect this better. Plan is to first do the 1 year of MBB (have to, because they are sponsoring) in the US, and then switch to tech in the US. Of course there is a chance I don't get a visa, then my plan B will be technology in Europe. On lifestyle, fair point! I have heard that west coast schools have less overall pressure and workload and you have a nicer more relaxed time there compared to east coast schools - but might be wrong about it :)
Alum
V
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 20:33
From your plan of being US-agnostic and the possibility of getting aid from your employer, Wharton is a no brainer, in my opinion. Tech is getting better and Wharton and the start-up scene is getting pretty nice too. You will have plenty of opportunities to work in FAANG and other tech companies in whatever role you want to. You will be the best fit for sales strategy or corp-dev type roles which also play nicely with your international future as well!
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
MBB Consultant: Wharton, Haas, oder Anderson?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 20:38
Ha ha. You have likely heard that WestCoast schools are more relaxed from an east coaster. The East Coasters always think they work harder and walk to school uphill both ways... This is actually true, there is a bit of a stigma about West Coast schools. East Coast is traditional and unless it’s Stanford, east coasters think you were lounging in frolicking in the sun most of the days during your mba.

If your company is going to sponsor your degree, I’m not sure that the scholarship matters and Wharton is the stronger option at the end of the day.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
GMAT Club Bot
MBB Consultant: Wharton, Haas, oder Anderson?   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2019, 20:38

MBB Consultant: Wharton, Haas, oder Anderson?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate