SORT BY
Most helpful
SORT BY Interview date
Recent interviewed
SORT BY Post date
Recent posted
Debrief posted on  Nov 10 2019 [#permalink] McCombs, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Nov 08 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"On campus interview with a second year. She introduced herself and then we jumped into the interview. 1) Tell me about yourself. 2) Questions on one of my positions that she had relevant experience with. 3) What are some challenges that you have faced in career? 4) What are the skills you have gained? 5) Why MBA? 6) Why McCombs? 7) What is the strongest/weakest part of your application? 8) What is something you learned from your application process? 9) Anything you want to tell me? 10) Any questions for me? Overall it was very friendly."

mdbates93 from United States GMAT 740; WE: 65 months; Manufacturing
0 out of 0 people found this Debrief helpful.

Was this Debrief helpful for you?

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 06 2019 [#permalink] McCombs, Full Time MBA
Skype Interviewed on: Nov 04 2019

"It was a video interview with a 2nd year student. It might depend but the 2nd year interviews are generally relaxed and you can have a good fun conversation. After introducing themselves, they started with the basics. Also, no curveballs at all. 1) Walk me through your resume 2) Follow up questions to one or two points in your job timeline or early promotions etc. (You do have to know that, right?) 3) What are some challenges that you faced in career? (Follow ups) 4) What are the skills you have gained? (Follow ups) 5) Why MBA ? 6) Why McCombs? 7) Some unique projects that you have worked on? 8) What is something you learned from your application process? 10) Any questions for me? I might be missing something here as it was 2 AM my clock when I interviewed but oh well. It was good overall. Can only keep my fingers crossed now. Let’s see!!"

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 02 2019 [#permalink] McCombs, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Jan 29 2019 Final Decision: Waitlisted with Interview

"Interview was in an informal set-up. And all questions were on expected lines. It lasted around 30 mins. "Tell me about your work ex" "Any feedback you received and how did it help you" "A professional accomplishment you are proud of and required leadership" "Example of working in diverse set up" "What did you learn from the application process" "Anything that hasn't been covered in this interview or in essays" "Why McCombs" "Any questions for me""

1siriusblack from India WE: 60 months; Consulting

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 13 2018 [#permalink] McCombs
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Nov 09 2018

"The interviewer had a set of questions he was choosing from. Most of the discussion revolved around my work experience and the associated behavioural questions (biggest challenge, problem solving, feedback at work, teamwork), my plans for the future and how McCombs fits into it, and a couple of questions on me as a person - strengths/weaknesses, hobbies and passions. I think most of the interview just mirrored the application. So the school research and introspection you did while completing the application should serve you well. The only thing additional was the set of major competency questions, which anyway everyone should be prepared for."

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 06 2018 [#permalink] McCombs
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Nov 05 2018 Final Decision: Admitted

"Had my McCombs interview yesterday. I think it went okay. Overview: I met adcom in a hotel lobby. We did basic introductions and talked for a bit. Then we dove into interview questions. My interviewer had a set of questions from which he asked questions. In this way, the interview was quite structured, and wasn't like a regular conversation. My interviewer also took notes quite visibly, and it was slightly distracting because I knew that whatever he wrote would be the basis for his interview report. Types of questions: We spoke about career goals and went over a few behavioural questions related to my professional experience. I spoke about my motivations for doing an MBA and how it would help me in my short/long term goals. Then we spoke at length about the McCombs program, and how I would contribute to it. Just FYI, McCombs focuses heavily on how prospective students can give back to the community - I was asked a question about it. Finally, the interviewer asked if I had any questions about the program. This was the most unstructured part of the interview, and was quite conversational. It is best to prepare 4-5 questions I was surprised that we spent 15-20 minutes on my questions and another 15-20 minutes on discussing McCombs specific questions. I was prepared for a conversational interview and thought that we'd spend much more time talking about my background and professional experience, but this was not the case (we spent only about 8-10 minutes on this). Key takeaways: Prepare your stories well. Figure out how to repurpose your stories to answer a variety of questions. Have a clear idea of what you want to achieve through the MBA. Know your strengths and weaknesses at work, and also as an applicant. I was asked about both these points specifically. Prepare to talk about your work in a succinct and concise way. Finally, relax! My interviewer was very friendly and while the interview was in a question-answer format, he made me feel at ease. Hope this helps!"

chakraaayan from India GMAT 740;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 21 2018 [#permalink] McCombs
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Oct 25 2018 Final Decision: Admitted

"All the same ones you see online for mccombs really. - Introduce yourself, - run through work history, - what are your goals, - why MBA, - why McCombs, - couple of competency based questions, and - then some chit-chat"

This user wants to stay Private from United Kingdom GMAT 740;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 20 2018 [#permalink] McCombs
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Jan 31 2018 Final Decision: Waitlisted with Interview

"I had my interview with Sharon Barrett (Ad-com) at ITC Maurya, Delhi and lasted for close to 25 mins. The interview was conversational and an attempt to understand the candidate. The following questions were asked: 1. Why Mccombs 2. Any challenges you faced in your work place and how did you overcome that 3. Favorite place you have travelled to 4. One trait which you wish you had 5. What were the challenges faced as a leader in your project and how did you overcome them 6. How will you add value to the school- any specific group you would want to be a part of 7. What is that one question you wished I had asked you but I didn’t 8. If you could teach the class one thing, what would that be 9. How did you hear about McCombs 10. Any questions?"

SonamVashisht from India GMAT 760; WE: 36 months; Computer Software

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 06 2018 [#permalink] McCombs
Skype Interviewed on: Jan 30 2018 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I just had my Skype interview with a 2nd year student yesterday, and overall I think it went okay. Some unexpected questions but in general it was more of a conversation. Here are some of the questions in case others are wondering: - Walk me through your resume and tell me what you've learned - Why McCombs - Tell me a time when you had a conflict with your superior/colleague - If there's one thing that you'd like to tell us about yourself, what would it be - Tell me a time when you worked in a diverse setup - Tell me a time when you were a leader - How would you contribute to the class and what would you be interested in joining at McCombs - Tell me a time you had to prioritize work - Short term goal, long term goal and plan B - What did you learn about yourself through the application process - Which other schools have you applied to and where does McCombs sit among your preferences - Example of a time when you solved a problem Hope this helps, and best of luck to y'all!"

bigbirdferda from Canada GMAT 690;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 02 2018 [#permalink] McCombs
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Nov 03 2017 Final Decision: Waitlisted with Interview

"Just had my interview with a local alumni. Overall, it is very casual and conversational. She did not get a chance to review my resume even though I sent it to her in advance. So there was not a lot of questions about my resume. 1. Why my current position 2. Why Mccombs 3. Why MBA 4. Why now 5. Career goals 6. What other programs are you applying"

zhang128 from United States GMAT 720;

yes
no
Skype Interviewed on: Nov 03 2017 Final Decision: Admitted

"Had my interview with 2nd year student via skype. Overall great experience, very friendly approach and not stressful at all. Questions were not stressful either, and no unexpected questions at all. 30 min for the interview and 15 minutes for my questions. One interesting thing to note: the interviewer has the same career goals as i do. i am not sure this was the intention, since the goal of product manager in tech is very common these days, however i believe the school tries to match applicants with interviewers having similar goals whenever possible. our background with the interviewer was also similar in a way, because we both have entrepeneurship experience. So interviewer asked questions about my current business, and i believe he was just interested in this in the context of his personal background, not because the interview prescribed these kind of questions. This actually made the conversation much more interesting and meaningful. For applicants, who are open to different options in terms of career goals and do not have them set in stone , i still suggest to have a very clear career plan down to position and company (or companies). although mccombs is not among the schools which are obsessed with super detailed career goals, do not relax just yet. even though my interviewer did not drill me hard on my career goals (maybe because he sensed that i really did my homework from some small details of the conversation), but i can see that coming from some students especially if they sense that you didn't do detailed research. so i suggest to over prepare by doing brief research on these questions (in the context of PM role of course, but you get the overall idea): - why exactly this company? - what is the product of this company that you would like to work on if given a choice? - what new product would you suggest to the company's CEO if given the opportunity? - what do you think about competitors x,y,z of this company? - what excites you about the strategy of this company ? - what skills are most important for this position in this company? - what classes exactly do you want to take and how do they relate to this position? the probability is not high due to limited interview time, but if these questions are asked and you don't have anything to say, that might really hurt i guess."

mrsonmax from Russian Federation GMAT 750; Insurance

yes
no
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Oct 27 2017 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I had my mccombs interview with an alumni earlier this week. Interview went well and got a very positive response to my thank you letter. Ultimately, I felt that interview sealed the deal, but of course, we’ll see! Couple things I took away. If you interview with alumni, be aware the interviews be in a quiet room or very busy area. If distractions mess with your nerves don’t risk setting up an alumni interview. I interviewed at google campus at a bench with many people eating close by. It didn’t bother me, but I think some people would not prefer this situation. On the flip side, my interviewer basically started out with “I’m supposed to ask you specific questions but we can get to those later. How are you doing??”. May have just been my interviewer, but I’ve heard similar stories about alums. Also, with Texas interviews you can pick your alumni interviewer. Do research on their LinkedIn! If you draw blanks in the interview you can always ask a questions pertaining to their background. Good luck!"

cshector from United States GMAT 710;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 01 2018 [#permalink] McCombs
On Campus Interviewed on: Mar 13 2017 Final Decision: Waitlisted with Interview

"Just had my interview yesterday on campus with 2nd year student. Pretty conversational overall and it took me 1 hour. Questions from what I remember were what you have already read online from GMATClub reports and Clearadmit: Walk through resume. Why MBA/why now? Why McCombs? Example of leadership experience. Example of conflict at work and how it was resolved. Short term long goals and long term goals. What about Plan B? What did you learn through application process? Experience with diverse group? What would you contribute at McCombs? Questions for him. Also, decided to go for the lunch and learn they had on campus for that day. Had a nice chat with a couple of 1st year students there. Now to wait for December. Good luck to all!"

Purvil311 from United States GMAT 730; Energy and Utilities

yes
no
On Campus Interviewed on: Mar 13 2017 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I have completed my on campus interview today. It was very conversational. No curve ball questions. 2nd year student interviewed me and it took around 25 mins. Here are the questions: - - Walk me through your resume - - Stand out Leadership Experience - - How did you resolve a conflict in a team setting? - - Short and Long Term Goals - - plan B for short term goal - - Why Mba and Why Now? - - Why McCombs? - - What did you learn through application process? - - Any other information that you would like to tell us - - Questions for me"

SVTTCGMAT from United States GMAT 700; Consumer Products

yes
no
On Campus Interviewed on: Mar 13 2017 Final Decision: Waitlisted with Interview

"My interview was with a 2nd year student who was fairly positive and nice. My questions were: • Talk me through your career path. explain skills you developed after graduating • What are your short term and long term goals? • Why do you seek an MBA now? • Why MBA • Why McCombs? • What clubs/activities are you interested in? • How do you see yourself being involved on campus? • Recent professional feedback • What do you consider your biggest accomplishment professionally? • An example of leadership experience • An example of conflict • An example of having to adapt to a new culture • What did you learn going through the MBA admissions process"

yes
no
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: May 20 2016 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Overall interview was rather interesting, lasted 1 hour. I could not read the interviewer whether i was doing good or not. So i have received following questions: 1. Walk me through your resume? - Several times i was asked deeper questions, what exactly was done and how. What were the results. 2. Why MBA? 3. Why McCombs? 4. Short term goal and Plan B? 5. Unique solution to the problem? 6. Most proud accomplishment? 7. What have you learned about yourself during application process? 8. How do you plan to contribute? 9. Please share some other additional information about yourself that has NOT been included in your application? 10. The biggest challenge during your current work? and some other questions. Some insights, all the questions are written for interviewer in special format and they follow the conversation and immidietly put your reasoning on paper, thus a few proposals: 1. Prepare all answers to the questions listed in this thread and practice 2. Answer should contain straightforward reasoning, thus for interviewer it would be easy to follow your story and write it down."

mika84 GMAT 680;

yes
no
On Campus Interviewed on: Jan 28 2015 Final Decision: Waitlisted with Interview

"A Texas Welcome... without the bells and whistles This review is for both FT and PT (evening) applicants as I interviewed for both programs. So here it is. I took my time learning about top business schools and decided Texas would make my top 3 list based on its reputation, strength in industries most important to me, and campus personality. This is important to internalize yourself as it will no doubt be pulled out of you during your interview. In my 2 interviews, I made sure to look sharp but didn't care to be in a traditional suit for 1 of them. That didn't seem to matter, especially as I went in with a strategy of talking tech and entrepreneurialism (the look seemed to complement the way I dressed that one time). There are so many resources online in terms of which questions have been asked before so I won't spend too much time on that here. If you're a PT/Evening student, you'll most likely interview with the Director or Associate Director of the program. My experience with her was very straight forward and we talked a lot about my views of business and my plans post-grad (have a tight story here). For the FT Interview, I interviewed with a 2nd year student. Very casually, we spoke about my professional experiences, outside leadership, and post-grad goals. Again, no curve balls here except he did ask some behavioral questions (tell me about a time when you....). My advice here is to be likable in your delivery, but also have true stories that you can use that shows your ability to overcome obstacles and to contribute to a larger group. Tips to remember for your interview: - show "bleed orange" pride. They are looking for someone who loves (or will love) UT - provide structured answers. Don't ramble and make sure to answer the question - be positive and likable. Show humility in the things you are/were lacking. Bonus points if you can tie in why McCombs will help in that area. - make sure your story ties. If you're GMAT is a 650 and you want to get into McKinsey, your interviewer will challenge you. Same thing if you name "target" companies that do not recruit at McCombs. - do coffee chats, webinars, and class visits, before your interview if possible. It'll show your interviewer you made the effort to get to know the school. - you will be asked how McCombs ranks against your other top choices. Your interviewer will complement you with whatever else you say, but be careful of diminishing McCombs."

Two64 from United States GMAT 670; Consumer Electronics

yes
no