It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 02:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 2645

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 10:32
ashutoshranjan wrote:
I need some guidance regarding my chances in MBA schools. My preferred colleges:ISB hyderabad, Mays (Texas A&M),Marriot (Bringham YU),Schuliz,Rotman,NUS Singapore and NTU.

GMAT:680 Q 49, V 34
GPA:3.1 Electrical Engg
Exp:8years in Indian Maharatna PSU NTPC

Achievements:
Was part of the team that completed erection and commissioning of steam turbine in record time of 13months,a project worth INR 450 cr

Formulated a plan to stop barring stalling in turbine leading to annual saving of over 150 cr annually.

Other than my work life i also engage in csr activities of ntpc ,participating in education and swachh bharat abhiyan.

I am planning to start my mba at the earliest so is my profile ok or should i go for a better gmat score.


(Just responded to you on the ISB forum!! :) )
_________________

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 2645

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 10:35
mgcon wrote:
Background and nationality: Indian, Male - 24 years old
Undergrad Information: MIT, Manipal - Mechanical Engineer, although I have always worked in Business roles
GMAT: 690 (Q48 V37 IR7 AWA6)
Work experience and leadership:

3 years work experience as of September 2017, currently working as a Growth Hacker (Head of Growth & have direct reportees) for an Indian startup that has secured a funding of $65 mn till date. Started off as a business analyst, then moved to digital marketing & further heading new customer acquisition, now taking care of the entire user journey. Directly impacting to $10 million p.a in revenues through business strategies implemented from my end

Have previously worked with Amazon as a Transaction Risk Investigator, directly impacting company's bad debt & customer experience.

Post MBA goals: Get into consulting/product management


Hi there,

Your profile seems fairly competitive for McCombs, based upon what you've shared here, BUT competition is stiff especially at that GMAT level, and for those applying from India with degrees in engineering etc. So your task will be to stand out from that crowd, potentially by really emphasizing your impact made and experience in marketing and customer acquisition etc. Hopefully your grades were strong too, and not sure if you are currently active in the community which would also help.

Be sure to do your research on McCombs to show that you are passionate about their program and know it well!
_________________

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 2645

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 10:38
Rahul30 wrote:
Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 67.7%
XIIth - 65%
Undergrad- B.E. in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering with 54.4%
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-4.5, IR-5)

Work Exp :
1. Have worked for 9 years in Telecom Industry and am currently VAS Manager for Airtel India Operations. Have previously worked with Nokia, Mahindra Comviva. Also have worked in UK for 6 months.
- Have received awards for my work at Airtel and previous organisations
- I have done in house courses in Airtel for Leadership,Security as well as technology


Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of economically deprived kids, conducting fundraisers with an NGO "SOCH"
2. During flood disaster in MP in 2016 I was part of the team that setup communications to emergency and disaster helplines for people affected by the natural calamity
3. Sarva Seva Sankalp Samiti – NGO from Burhanpur for Deaddiction centers, Vaccination Drives, Reforestation, Awareness
programs for Crimes against women.Participated in workshops near Indore and Burhanpur for Vaccination drives, Awareness Camps and planting of saplings for green drive.
4.Mentored students at GS Institute of Management for development of soft skills


Extra Curricular:
1. Head of student placement committee and President of club "Peregrination" in College
2. Designed college website for "Peregrination"
3.Paper Presentation on Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic at national level at Concours 2006 at KIT, Andhra Pradesh
4.Presented Paper on Mobile and Wireless Communication in Techvinox 2005.
5.Paper Presentation on MRI Scan Application of Fuzzy Logic in PIONEER 2K5 at College of Engineering ,Kolhapur
6.Second prize in "Wrocketry" organized at KIT Andhra Pradesh
7.Won HTML web page competition in School level competition

Please evaluate.


Hello,
Congrats on the 750 GMAT ! Very solid, and really was needed given your undergrad grades. You have quite a lot of years of experience, which won't preclude you from applying for the full-time program (?) but does mean you need to anticipate questions of whether this is the best program for you, and you'll want to ensure your post-MBA plans and reasons for the MBA are well detailed and developed. Your EC involvement looks great. I don't know a lot of the detail of your work experience per se but be sure to emphasize where you've made the most impact. Hopefully you'll be considered by McCombs with strong applications and a good demonstration of why the MBA and connection with the school.
_________________

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 02:56
Background and nationality - Indian male candidate

Undergrad - B. Com with 57.5% (63.5% in the final year)

Postgrad - Post Graduate Diploma in Forest Management (Majors in Development Management) NOTE: Only the institute's name has Forest in it; I studied nothing related to it!

GMAT - 710 (Q-49 V-38)

Work experience and leadership -
Total of 3.5 years of work experience in lending space. I have worked for two financial institutions during this period, both of which were into impact investment. I assessed companies which had either social or environmental impact, and were from either financial inclusion, food and agri, affordable healthcare, affordable education, or clean energy sector. There were all early-stage companies with little to no access to formal sources of financing before my company lent to them. I individually did credit and operational analysis of the companies. I was assigned a new vertical in the first organization (I was assigned the role over my more senior colleagues) and was assigned as the lead member of one of the sectors in the second company.

The "story" - I was pursuing CA during my graduation, and had successfully cleared the intermediate examination. But something felt amiss and the only reason I was pursuing CA was because everybody around me was doing the same and I knew for a fact that there was good money at the end of the tunnel. But something felt amiss and I quit CA following my level II examination and instead decided to do PG. In PG, my course focused on community development and development management in general. I wanted to combine my PG study to what I did prior to that, and hence I got in the impact investment space.

Community and others -
1. Participated in multiple CSR events during PG
2. Ran numerous campaigns during PG, both for the upliftment of the underprivileged as well as for environmental conservation.
3. Active member of Blue Cross
4. Fitness enthusiast and I do work as a fitness instructor

Recommendations - I am sure I can get pretty strong recommendations

Post MBA goals -
Staying in the impact investment space, first by taking some international exposure with the larger donor organizations and then by eventually setting up my own investment fund.

Additional thoughts - I guess my work-ex is on the lower side, but I can show steady increase in responsibilities during this period. Also, I know that my undergrad score is miserable. Nothing really that I can do about it now, but will asking the AdCom to focus on my better-than-average Quant score in GMAT help?

Thanks for the help! :)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 2645

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 18:20
aroy10 wrote:
Background and nationality - Indian male candidate

Undergrad - B. Com with 57.5% (63.5% in the final year)

Postgrad - Post Graduate Diploma in Forest Management (Majors in Development Management) NOTE: Only the institute's name has Forest in it; I studied nothing related to it!

GMAT - 710 (Q-49 V-38)

Work experience and leadership -
Total of 3.5 years of work experience in lending space. I have worked for two financial institutions during this period, both of which were into impact investment. I assessed companies which had either social or environmental impact, and were from either financial inclusion, food and agri, affordable healthcare, affordable education, or clean energy sector. There were all early-stage companies with little to no access to formal sources of financing before my company lent to them. I individually did credit and operational analysis of the companies. I was assigned a new vertical in the first organization (I was assigned the role over my more senior colleagues) and was assigned as the lead member of one of the sectors in the second company.

The "story" - I was pursuing CA during my graduation, and had successfully cleared the intermediate examination. But something felt amiss and the only reason I was pursuing CA was because everybody around me was doing the same and I knew for a fact that there was good money at the end of the tunnel. But something felt amiss and I quit CA following my level II examination and instead decided to do PG. In PG, my course focused on community development and development management in general. I wanted to combine my PG study to what I did prior to that, and hence I got in the impact investment space.

Community and others -
1. Participated in multiple CSR events during PG
2. Ran numerous campaigns during PG, both for the upliftment of the underprivileged as well as for environmental conservation.
3. Active member of Blue Cross
4. Fitness enthusiast and I do work as a fitness instructor

Recommendations - I am sure I can get pretty strong recommendations

Post MBA goals -
Staying in the impact investment space, first by taking some international exposure with the larger donor organizations and then by eventually setting up my own investment fund.

Additional thoughts - I guess my work-ex is on the lower side, but I can show steady increase in responsibilities during this period. Also, I know that my undergrad score is miserable. Nothing really that I can do about it now, but will asking the AdCom to focus on my better-than-average Quant score in GMAT help?

Thanks for the help! :)


Hi,
Good self-assessment, and yes the undergrad grades are the biggest concern! Tough to overcome as you can't change that now ;), and the GMAT helps a little....but could still be an issue when they stack you up against competing applicants. And while I am not concerned about 3.5 years of experience generally, SOMEtimes applicants with 6-7+ years may have just had more chances to show great leadership and impact... so occasionally that can make a difference. The good thing about McCombs is that they do give you decent opportunities to show who you are through the application, for example the video option can be a good opportunity to make a strong impact. Work hard on putting together strong essays, application components and ideally recommendations and you may still have a shot, but will be an uphill battle to a certain degree. ;) Good luck to you!
_________________

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Sep 2017
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 360 Q17 V21
GPA: 2.71
WE: Human Resources (Education)
Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 18:40
Hi Everyone,

See below for my info. I met someone from admissions at a Consortium event and I left with a strong impression of the school. I also went to a coffee chat that was hosted in LA. I am working on a school visit. Thanks for your help.

Background and nationality- 1st generation American. My parents are from Haiti.

Undergrad Information- Small State University. Graduated with a 2.7 gpa, Business Management major. Miserable first two years as an accounting major. Couldn’t picture myself crunching numbers all day so I switched to management before junior year because of the opportunity to take classes focused on HR, organizational behavior etc. wanted to focus on some type of career where I could help people in a way that felt meaningful.

Grades started to trend upward junior year and I made the Dean’s List second semester. Senior year- huge family accident and major health issues back home. Couldn’t focus and did horribly 1 semester. Buckled down and got a 3.26 last semester. Also worked every semester of school. Involved in some clubs and served as Treasurer for one.

GMAT: Still studying and my highest practice exam has been a 540- Q27 V37

Hoping to have around a 700 when it’s all said and done. I’ve been working with a tutor and improvement has been steady. Taking another CAT 10/21

Work experience and leadership
I’ve been fortunate to work for two high performing and well known companies in the education sector.

Second largest charter management org in the US->Recruitment Coordinator 1 year 4 months -> promoted to Associate Director of Recruitment 1 year 3 months -> recruited to join a founding Recruitment Team at the largest charter management org in LA been here for a year. I’ve built our university partnership strategy from scratch and I’ve achieved great results. My particular role has added great value to the org. I’ve even had the opportunity to work with C suite level folks advising them on their staffing.

Community and others- Basketball coach for my former summer team for two years. Won a championship my second year. I really enjoy mentoring youth. Part of the Urban League and I also did iMentor in NYC. Founded a career networking event back in NYC to connect inner city youth to successful professionals.

Post MBA goals- Human Capital Consulting. I’m particularly fond of Deloitte’s HC practice and know some people who work there, including a former recruiter I worked with. I want to make a transition to the private sector as I feel like my development as a professional is getting stagnant. It’s important to me to understand how orgs outside of this sector solve Human Capital issues. Long term I want to land in a Performance Management type of role.

Anything else? I’ve always had a chip on my shoulder because my colleagues have always come from well known schools with high GPAs. I’ve been able to surpass many of them at my jobs. I’ve been fortunate to land at good orgs within my sector and I’ve done my best to make the most of the opportunities. Also I’ll have about 4.5 years of experience at matriculation.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 2645

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 18:16
sdolcine wrote:
Hi Everyone,

See below for my info. I met someone from admissions at a Consortium event and I left with a strong impression of the school. I also went to a coffee chat that was hosted in LA. I am working on a school visit. Thanks for your help.

Background and nationality- 1st generation American. My parents are from Haiti.

Undergrad Information- Small State University. Graduated with a 2.7 gpa, Business Management major. Miserable first two years as an accounting major. Couldn’t picture myself crunching numbers all day so I switched to management before junior year because of the opportunity to take classes focused on HR, organizational behavior etc. wanted to focus on some type of career where I could help people in a way that felt meaningful.

Grades started to trend upward junior year and I made the Dean’s List second semester. Senior year- huge family accident and major health issues back home. Couldn’t focus and did horribly 1 semester. Buckled down and got a 3.26 last semester. Also worked every semester of school. Involved in some clubs and served as Treasurer for one.

GMAT: Still studying and my highest practice exam has been a 540- Q27 V37

Hoping to have around a 700 when it’s all said and done. I’ve been working with a tutor and improvement has been steady. Taking another CAT 10/21

Work experience and leadership
I’ve been fortunate to work for two high performing and well known companies in the education sector.

Second largest charter management org in the US->Recruitment Coordinator 1 year 4 months -> promoted to Associate Director of Recruitment 1 year 3 months -> recruited to join a founding Recruitment Team at the largest charter management org in LA been here for a year. I’ve built our university partnership strategy from scratch and I’ve achieved great results. My particular role has added great value to the org. I’ve even had the opportunity to work with C suite level folks advising them on their staffing.

Community and others- Basketball coach for my former summer team for two years. Won a championship my second year. I really enjoy mentoring youth. Part of the Urban League and I also did iMentor in NYC. Founded a career networking event back in NYC to connect inner city youth to successful professionals.

Post MBA goals- Human Capital Consulting. I’m particularly fond of Deloitte’s HC practice and know some people who work there, including a former recruiter I worked with. I want to make a transition to the private sector as I feel like my development as a professional is getting stagnant. It’s important to me to understand how orgs outside of this sector solve Human Capital issues. Long term I want to land in a Performance Management type of role.

Anything else? I’ve always had a chip on my shoulder because my colleagues have always come from well known schools with high GPAs. I’ve been able to surpass many of them at my jobs. I’ve been fortunate to land at good orgs within my sector and I’ve done my best to make the most of the opportunities. Also I’ll have about 4.5 years of experience at matriculation.



Hi,
Thanks for posting, and keep up the hard work on the GMAT prep, never an easy feat as you are experiencing! Thanks for sharing a great level of info and detail. I still have a few questions, namely: WHEN are you considering applying? You mentioned about 2.5 years of experience to date if following correctly and then 4.5 at matriculation, so are you aiming to apply in another year?

It can be quite tough to overcome a 2.7 GPA even with some explanation, to be honest. I would strongly advise, as long as time allows which sounds like hopefully it does, to enroll in a couple of b-school relevant quantitative courses and get A's in them, prior to applying. That plus yes a 700+ GMAT (the higher the better) to all use as examples of your current/more recent academic aptitude.

Your mentoring experiences and passion are great and I would aim to highlight those in your applications for sure.

If you are still a year or so out from applying, also use this time to continue researching in prep for describing your career goals, and connecting with students/alum at McCombs. They do appreciate those connections and simply showing your genuine passion for the program, so glad you've had good experiences with their team and events to date. When it gets closer if you'd like to connect further with one of our consultants, we do offer a free 30 minute consultation at www.mbamission.com/consult, where you'd send over a resume and be able to ask any q's you'd like, in case that helps.

Good luck!
_________________

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Oct 2017
Posts: 21

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 11:50
I am an Indian, female, with marketing experience in the manufacturing industry for 4.5 years after which I moved to US. Been here since the last 1.5 years with a non-profit doing digital marketing, and fundraising, this is because of my visa situation. This was a huge shift from the corporate space in India and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am looking at brand management and sustainability as a post-mba goal . 710 GMAT and 8.2 GPA as per indian standards. Do you feel my employment gap would be a red flag even though I have committed to volunteering during this phase?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 1112

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 39

Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 12:13
heya123 wrote:
I am an Indian, female, with marketing experience in the manufacturing industry for 4.5 years after which I moved to US. Been here since the last 1.5 years with a non-profit doing digital marketing, and fundraising, this is because of my visa situation. This was a huge shift from the corporate space in India and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am looking at brand management and sustainability as a post-mba goal . 710 GMAT and 8.2 GPA as per indian standards. Do you feel my employment gap would be a red flag even though I have committed to volunteering during this phase?


Hi heya123, thanks for reaching out! I think as long as you are progressing in learning and it sounds like you have been, you will still present well in MBA admissions. If you want to strengthen your profile, I would also use the extra time to work on GMAT and see if you can't get it up even 20 more points as that would really help separate you from the pack in this crowded space.
You can also take advantage of the time in the US to visit schools here and really know the programs well. McCombs has excellent marketing programs- so I think it makes sense to apply there. You should also look at Fuqua and Wisconsin. I think rather than worrying about how adcom or recruiters will see this gap, that does not help as you can't control what they think- but you can control your knowledge of the programs, your GMAT and your career research- so focus on those things! And also reach out to us for a free consult as we can help you present yourself in the best light- link for this is here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

_________________

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Image

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 39

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Oct 2017
Posts: 21

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 12:21
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
heya123 wrote:
I am an Indian, female, with marketing experience in the manufacturing industry for 4.5 years after which I moved to US. Been here since the last 1.5 years with a non-profit doing digital marketing, and fundraising, this is because of my visa situation. This was a huge shift from the corporate space in India and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am looking at brand management and sustainability as a post-mba goal . 710 GMAT and 8.2 GPA as per indian standards. Do you feel my employment gap would be a red flag even though I have committed to volunteering during this phase?


Hi heya123, thanks for reaching out! I think as long as you are progressing in learning and it sounds like you have been, you will still present well in MBA admissions. If you want to strengthen your profile, I would also use the extra time to work on GMAT and see if you can't get it up even 20 more points as that would really help separate you from the pack in this crowded space.
You can also take advantage of the time in the US to visit schools here and really know the programs well. McCombs has excellent marketing programs- so I think it makes sense to apply there. You should also look at Fuqua and Wisconsin. I think rather than worrying about how adcom or recruiters will see this gap, that does not help as you can't control what they think- but you can control your knowledge of the programs, your GMAT and your career research- so focus on those things! And also reach out to us for a free consult as we can help you present yourself in the best light- link for this is here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/


Thank you very much for your response. I visited McCombs and I really liked the vibe of the school and the city. I already applied here in round 1. My employment gap is something I seem to have no control over due to the visa situation. and I explained these in my essays. Hopefully will reach out for Duke in round 2. Would it be too late to apply to Duke in round 2?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 2645

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 06:30
heya123 wrote:
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
heya123 wrote:
I am an Indian, female, with marketing experience in the manufacturing industry for 4.5 years after which I moved to US. Been here since the last 1.5 years with a non-profit doing digital marketing, and fundraising, this is because of my visa situation. This was a huge shift from the corporate space in India and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am looking at brand management and sustainability as a post-mba goal . 710 GMAT and 8.2 GPA as per indian standards. Do you feel my employment gap would be a red flag even though I have committed to volunteering during this phase?


Hi heya123, thanks for reaching out! I think as long as you are progressing in learning and it sounds like you have been, you will still present well in MBA admissions. If you want to strengthen your profile, I would also use the extra time to work on GMAT and see if you can't get it up even 20 more points as that would really help separate you from the pack in this crowded space.
You can also take advantage of the time in the US to visit schools here and really know the programs well. McCombs has excellent marketing programs- so I think it makes sense to apply there. You should also look at Fuqua and Wisconsin. I think rather than worrying about how adcom or recruiters will see this gap, that does not help as you can't control what they think- but you can control your knowledge of the programs, your GMAT and your career research- so focus on those things! And also reach out to us for a free consult as we can help you present yourself in the best light- link for this is here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/


Thank you very much for your response. I visited McCombs and I really liked the vibe of the school and the city. I already applied here in round 1. My employment gap is something I seem to have no control over due to the visa situation. and I explained these in my essays. Hopefully will reach out for Duke in round 2. Would it be too late to apply to Duke in round 2?


Hi there,
I feel applying to Duke R2 is still reasonable for you, and agree with most of Donna's points above about handling your gap in work experience. Try to really showcase and highlight any leadership experiences and initiative show and impact made, even within volunteer experience. As is always important, make a connection between your past, the MBA, and your future goals, and demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the program. Duke allows you a great platform for demonstrating who you are as a candidate through it's 25 things essay and longer involvement essay, plus the option to do a student-initiated interview if that works out for you, so take advantage of those and really brainstorm a lot about your life, professional & personal, and what you'd like to show through those elements. Check out our Duke essay tips at:
https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2017/06 ... 2017-2018/

And feel free to sign up for a free consultation if desired for R2 advice, at www.mbamission.com/consult.

Good luck to you!
_________________

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2017
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 21:31
Hello! I am thinking about applying to McCombs R2. Below is my profile. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Background and nationality: Caucasian male
Undergrad Information: Graduated with a Finance Degree from Dallas Baptist University (small private college); 3.8 GPA, very involved on campus and started a business oriented student organization.
GMAT: I am taking it in 3 weeks, but based on practice tests I anticipate around 680.
Work experience and leadership: 1 year as Pricing & Contract Analyst at a mid-size software company then moved to a smaller software company as a Financial Analyst for a little under a year then promoted to Senior Financial Analyst (current role). Current work experience is 2.5 years and would be 3 years near the start of the program.
Community and others: An area I need to work on. I was very involved during college, but now I just occasionally attend start-up/entrepreneurial events in the DFW area.
Post MBA goals: Strategy Consulting

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 2645

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 16:32
brenthoff7 wrote:
Hello! I am thinking about applying to McCombs R2. Below is my profile. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Background and nationality: Caucasian male
Undergrad Information: Graduated with a Finance Degree from Dallas Baptist University (small private college); 3.8 GPA, very involved on campus and started a business oriented student organization.
GMAT: I am taking it in 3 weeks, but based on practice tests I anticipate around 680.
Work experience and leadership: 1 year as Pricing & Contract Analyst at a mid-size software company then moved to a smaller software company as a Financial Analyst for a little under a year then promoted to Senior Financial Analyst (current role). Current work experience is 2.5 years and would be 3 years near the start of the program.
Community and others: An area I need to work on. I was very involved during college, but now I just occasionally attend start-up/entrepreneurial events in the DFW area.
Post MBA goals: Strategy Consulting

Thanks!


Hi there.
Good luck on that GMAT prep, it must be coming up soon, so feel free to chime back in or reach out once you've got your score! Your grades are solid and having some promotion/recognition on the job is good. Your experience is on the lighter side, not to the extent it has to be problematic, but it's definitely incumbent on your to show that you do have a solid quality of experience over the 3 years such that you can contribute and share your experiences in class discussions etc. And yes more community experience would be a plus, though it's unlikely you can impact that much at this point for R2, beyond just brainstorming to ensure you've included all that you do have. So you're overall in a middle ground in terms of your profile, with both strengths and weaknesses, and the GMAT could potentially help you tip in either direction, and of course the way in which you tell your story of what you'll contribute to the class, and why you need the MBA and why McCombs is a good fit, can also make an impact. Finally, confidently describing your post-MBA goals in a knowledgeable way, and reinforcing how the MBA will help you reach them, will be important too. Good luck and let us know how the GMAT goes!!
_________________

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2017, 16:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 53 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

McCombs Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.