GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2019, 05:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

McCombs (Texas) v Leavey (Santa Clara) v Anderson (UCLA)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Best option for part-time business school

• 64% [11]
  • 17% [3]
  • 17% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q158 V160
GPA: 2.99
McCombs (Texas) v Leavey (Santa Clara) v Anderson (UCLA)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 10:38
Trying to decide between three schools for part-time program. I live in SF Bay Area and am not planning to relocate for school. I am working in business development in tech and am interested in entrepreneurship. My decision boils down to higher ranked, more prestigious national brand names vs. a solid, cost effective regional option.

Santa Clara Evening Program - mid 60's rank program mid 30's part-time program
Pros: Most convenient/closest to my network, significantly cheaper than other programs,
Cons: way down the rankings list compared to McCombs and Anderson

McCombs (Houston) – 17th, 7th part-time
Pros: Strong entrepreneurship program, strong national ranking, largest alumni network with solid chapter in the Bay Area, can complete in 2 years
Cons: Travel and no electives.

UCLA FEMBA – 16th, 5th part-time
Pros: Strong Alumni network in Bay Area, allows electives, closer than Texas
Cons: Seems media industry focused (trying to move away from that world). need at least 2.5 years to complete program
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Re: McCombs (Texas) v Leavey (Santa Clara) v Anderson (UCLA)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 02:15
mrausch123 wrote:
Trying to decide between three schools for part-time program. I live in SF Bay Area and am not planning to relocate for school. I am working in business development in tech and am interested in entrepreneurship. My decision boils down to higher ranked, more prestigious national brand names vs. a solid, cost effective regional option.

Pros: Most convenient/closest to my network, significantly cheaper than other programs,

Pros: Strong entrepreneurship program, strong national ranking, largest alumni network with solid chapter in the Bay Area, can complete in 2 years

Cons: Seems media industry focused (trying to move away from that world). need at least 2.5 years to complete program

While investing you, your hard earned huge money in education, you need to consider some important factor than your comfortability. School's alumni network, your post MBA goals, most importantly school Brand name. Anyhow it is a part-time programme, you need to adjust your work schedule based on the location, travel...
RC Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 09:01
Hello mrausch123 ... welcome to the community.

In my personal opinion -- it's UCLA. Although the school might be concentrating on 'media industry', you donot have to. And moreover the brand name (no offence to other programs) and the Alumni Network is very important post-program.

All the best !!
V
Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 14:37
mrausch123 wrote:

Hello mrausch123

It is fairly easy choice.

UCLA is the best school, best brand and best option is your specific case.

I would not consider Santa Clara at all, I assume it is on the list just because of proximity, however that should not be the deciding factor.

Yeah McCombs is fine, but UCLA is relatively near and still stronger brand.

I vote for UCLA Fully Employed MBA Program :thumbup:

I dont see them being strictly media industry focused at all, except that of course Hollywood is near, so what ? :cool:

Plenty of companies from other non related industries are recruiting there :

Intel

Google

PIMPCO

Accenture

Bank of America

Baxter BioScience

Chevron

Cisco Systems Inc.

Ernst and Young LLP

United Technologies Corporation

Yahoo! Inc.

Abbott

AIG

AT&T

Deloitte

General Electric (GE)

Honeywell Aerospace

Johnson & Johnson

Lockheed Martin Corporation

Medtronic

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Oracle Corporation

Pacific Gas & Electric

Raytheon

Southern California Edison

Tesla Motors

http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/degrees/fu ... em-x184324

UCLA certainly has much better and greater alumni network in your area or in Cali in general, than McCombs.

Good Luck :geek: :cool:
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 23:34
Hi and congrats on your admits - PT programs are hard work as you have to work and study, and traveling does add a bit of a complexity.
I am wondering why you want an MBA if you are thinking about entrepreneurship. If you are planning to be your own boss, I feel the cheapest, closest, and most flexible program is the best one. It likely won't bust many doors open but neither will McCombs or Anderson names, though they do have more prestige per se but neither is a Stanford.

In a FEMBA, your biggest asset and network will be your classmates. Often you can recruit or they can help recruit in their companies after you ace a project at school or show some other skills. Would you benefit from networking with a bunch of folks in TX or LA? If not, then you are missing on part of the value from the experience. There are likely a few folks commuting from Bay Area to LA for FEMBA and it is a commute that you can even do driving late at night or early in the morning, though $49 on southwest or one of the LA-SF flight passes may be a better bet.

I think you should examine a bit more the underlying reasons for the MBA and what drives value for you.
Good Luck!
Re: McCombs (Texas) v Leavey (Santa Clara) v Anderson (UCLA)   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2019, 23:34

McCombs (Texas) v Leavey (Santa Clara) v Anderson (UCLA)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste