Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
rasta wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:
SR85 wrote:

Well, my university (MIT, Manipal) has a grading system similar to the IITs. 10 point CGPA system. In case you don't have a grading system, I think sharing your % should do ( X out of Y). Can you ask your college academic section to issue a letter explaining the evaluation system?

I did include my percentage, and my transcript clearly mentions my marks secured againist the total. However, its not CGPA. Thanks. Did any other indian applicants with percentage grading faced such similar issue?

FYI, I've just put up a post on this particular issue of grade comparison. I don't believe it's necessary to submit a comparison. Highlighting the scale (percentage or GPA) used should suffice. Most institutes do have some info on the scale used on the back side/page of the transcript.
I've just gone through the app portal for McDonough, and am curious as to how you indiciate your GPA because the y ask you to leave the field blank if it's not based on the 4.0 scale.
[IMAGE REMOVED]
Is there a field elsewhere in the app where you mention your non 4.0 scale GPA/ Percentage? OR do you mention this in the covering letter when you mail your official copy of transcript and degree certificate?

Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I assume that while McDonough asks that your transcripts be as per WES standards, it is not necessary to get it processed by WES (for a fee) as long as the following criteria are met:
  • Academic transcripts must list the course name and grades received.
  • A diploma /degree certificate that shows the date that the degree was conferred is also required.

Hi!

I had left the GPA field blank as my university grants a CGPA out of 10. However, my application was processed based on the official and un-official university transcripts. You don't have to send any other analysis of your CGPA or percentage. Just make sure that you upload your transcripts and send them an official hard copy as well. Believe me, they must have encountered percentages and CGPAs from different universities and know how to deal with them :)

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
good luck to all the r1 applicants... i'm still working on my essays for r2...
and wow, georgetown essays are definitely difficult to write with the vague restrictions...

i attended georgetown's application tip webinar this morning, and i was a little disappointed.
it would have been nicer to go more thoroughly on the essay topics, instead of explaining 20 minutes about the "holistic approach", which most serious candidates would know by now. :x

just complaining and being grumpy... writing essays can really take a toll...

again, best of luck to r1 applicants, and good luck to r2 applicants as well :-D
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
shady14 wrote:
and wow, georgetown essays are definitely difficult to write with the vague restrictions...

i attended georgetown's application tip webinar this morning, and i was a little disappointed.
it would have been nicer to go more thoroughly on the essay topics, instead of explaining 20 minutes about the "holistic approach", which most serious candidates would know by now. :x

again, best of luck to r1 applicants, and good luck to r2 applicants as well :-D

As a former student of a Jesuit school and knowing a number of people who have gone to McDonough, I can tell you that the one thing that you really need to focus on is being a "man/woman for others."

McDonough's Admissions Committee, much like AdComs from other schools, look for applicants who have the stats and skills that employers look for. More than the applicants' employ-ability, though, they love applicants who are very much involved in the community. Therefore, if possible, make sure that your essay on what defines you speaks of how you have lived your life to make an impact and to leave a legacy.

I know that there is a separate essay for community involvement. But you also have to be aware that the max is half a page for that essay. Therefore, you can use the "what defines you" essay as a way to expound on your extracurricular activities and how they ultimately tie into your short and long-term goals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
thanks threestripes for your insights! :)

threestripes wrote:
shady14 wrote:

As a former student of a Jesuit school and knowing a number of people who have gone to McDonough, I can tell you that the one thing that you really need to focus on is being a "man/woman for others."

McDonough's Admissions Committee, much like AdComs from other schools, look for applicants who have the stats and skills that employers look for. More than the applicants' employ-ability, though, they love applicants who are very much involved in the community. Therefore, if possible, make sure that your essay on what defines you speaks of how you have lived your life to make an impact and to leave a legacy.

I know that there is a separate essay for community involvement. But you also have to be aware that the max is half a page for that essay. Therefore, you can use the "what defines you" essay as a way to expound on your extracurricular activities and how they ultimately tie into your short and long-term goals.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
shady14 wrote:
thanks threestripes for your insights! :)

threestripes wrote:
shady14 wrote:

No worries. I was accepted in R3 last year, and I have a strong feeling that the quoted essay strategy did the trick. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rasta wrote:
FYI, I've just put up a post on this particular issue of grade comparison. I don't believe it's necessary to submit a comparison. Highlighting the scale (percentage or GPA) used should suffice. Most institutes do have some info on the scale used on the back side/page of the transcript.
I've just gone through the app portal for McDonough, and am curious as to how you indiciate your GPA because the y ask you to leave the field blank if it's not based on the 4.0 scale.

Is there a field elsewhere in the app where you mention your non 4.0 scale GPA/ Percentage? OR do you mention this in the covering letter when you mail your official copy of transcript and degree certificate?

Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I assume that while McDonough asks that your transcripts be as per WES standards, it is not necessary to get it processed by WES (for a fee) as long as the following criteria are met:
  • A diploma /degree certificate that shows the date that the degree was conferred is also required.

Well my university and many other Indian universities, which follow percentage, do not offer any grading scale on the back of the transcripts. I left the field blank where it says list your GPA. There are some schools which allow you to enter non-GPA, and in those sections, I enter my percentage and the scale used as percentage.

However, as KP86 pointed, I need to get an WES evaluation, which provides a US GPA equivalent of my percentage, and submit that report to Georgetown.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BlueRobin wrote:
rasta wrote:
[IMAGE REMOVED]

Well my university and many other Indian universities, which follow percentage, do not offer any grading scale on the back of the transcripts. I left the field blank where it says list your GPA. There are some schools which allow you to enter non-GPA, and in those sections, I enter my percentage and the scale used as percentage.

However, as KP86 pointed, I need to get an WES evaluation, which provides a US GPA equivalent of my percentage, and submit that report to Georgetown.

Hi!

There is no "need" to submit a WES evaluation. I have successfully submitted my application and have been interviewed as well (without submitting any WES evaluation).

Cheers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
SR85 wrote:
Hi!

There is no "need" to submit a WES evaluation. I have successfully submitted my application and have been interviewed as well (without submitting any WES evaluation).

Cheers!

Well, you mentioned that MIT university offers CGPA, whereas my university provides does not offer such stuff. So, maybe they did not ask you because you already have CGPA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BlueRobin wrote:
SR85 wrote:
Hi!

Cheers!

Well, you mentioned that MIT university offers CGPA, whereas my university provides does not offer such stuff. So, maybe they did not ask you because you already have CGPA.

Yes, but my univ has a 10 point grading system which is a lot different from a 4 point grading system. Anyways, if people are sending WES evaluation then I suggest you send it as well. But I think you should also drop in a line to an adcom member and clarify.

Cheers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Economics
Send PM
R1 decisions released in exactly 1 week. Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HenryHank wrote:
R1 decisions released in exactly 1 week. Good luck everyone!

Thanks HenryHank! Good luck to you too :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys!

Do we have a personalized page as an applicant with our personal admissions officer listed? I remember Kelly Wilson telling me about such a page, but I forgot how to go there. Any clues?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
SR85 wrote:
Guys!

Do we have a personalized page as an applicant with our personal admissions officer listed? I remember Kelly Wilson telling me about such a page, but I forgot how to go there. Any clues?

I don't remember this? Have you interviewed yet? After my interview, I received a "next steps" email with the following:

If you have any additional questions about the Georgetown Full-Time MBA Program, you are welcome to contact us at GeorgetownMBA@georgetown.edu, or call us at (202) 687-4200 and a member of our admissions team will be happy to respond to your inquiry.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
purpleshirt wrote:
SR85 wrote:
Guys!

I don't remember this? Have you interviewed yet? After my interview, I received a "next steps" email with the following:

If you have any additional questions about the Georgetown Full-Time MBA Program, you are welcome to contact us at GeorgetownMBA@georgetown.edu, or call us at (202) 687-4200 and a member of our admissions team will be happy to respond to your inquiry.

Yes, I was interviewed on 17th Nov.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Anyone with any news on the results? No one anxious? Will the results come only on the 15th?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
SR85 wrote:
Anyone with any news on the results? No one anxious? Will the results come only on the 15th?

No news here. I am hoping the committee will call accepted students a day or two before the 15th. That is what they did last year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
MichelleK11 wrote:
SR85 wrote:

No news here. I am hoping the committee will call accepted students a day or two before the 15th. That is what they did last year.

Very nervous, very anxious. Hoping for some good news this week. Good luck all.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  24   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts