It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Meaning Based 2: MRS MERCKEL

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9634 [2], given: 351

Re: Meaning Based 2: MRS MERCKEL [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 02:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Raihanuddin wrote:
egmat wrote:
Quote:
egmat wrote:
At the heart of euro crisis is Mrs. Merckel’s lack of quick or bold reaction, the reason for lack of halting of the downward spiral of the euro.

A. Mrs. Merckel’s lack of quick or bold reaction, the reason for lack of halting of the downward spiral of the euro
B. Mrs. Merckel, whose lack of quick or bold reaction is the reason that the downward spiral of the euro has not halted
C. the lack of quick or bold reaction by Mrs. Merckel, the reason that the downward spiral of the euro has not halted.
D. Mrs. Merckel, whose lack of quick or bold reaction is the reason of lack of halting of the downward spiral of the euro.
E. the lack of quick or bold reaction by Mrs. Merckel, resulting in the downward spiral of the euro.

Here is the official explanation for this question:

Understand the Meaning of the Original Sentence

The sentence presents a few facts
1. Mrs. Merckel’s lack of quick or bold reaction is at the heart of euro crisis.
2. Her lack of bold reaction is the reason for lack of halting of the downward spiral of the Euro
a. This is rather confusing expression. It intends to say that her lack of bold reaction is the reason why downward spiral of Euro has not halted or stopped.

Find the Errors in the Original Sentence

• At the heart of euro crisis is Mrs. Merckel’s lack of quick or bold reaction, the reason for lack of halting of the downward spiral of the euro.

This sentence has only 1 clause with inverted SV order. Grammatically this sentence appears to be ok but it is not written in concise manner. The expression – “lack of halting of …” is overly complicated and confusing as discussed in meaning analysis.

Review Answer Choices to do POE

Choice B – This choice changes the meaning of the sentence. It now states that Mrs. Merckel is at the heart of Euro crisis. Per the original sentence, her lack of quick or bold decision is at the heart of Euro crisis.

Choice C – Correct Choice.

Choice D – This choice repeats the errors of Choice B

Choice E – This choice is grammatically correct. But it changes the intended meaning of the sentence. Now it implies that lack of bold reaction is the reason behind the downward spiral of the Euro. This is not correct. Note that per the intended meaning – downward spiral of Euro is already happening. Mrs. Merckel is not taking a quick or bold decision. This indecisiveness results in continuation of the downward spiral. Thus, its not like this indecisiveness results in the downward spiral of Euro. It results in not being able to stop this downward spiral.

TAKE AWAYS

1. Understand the intended meaning of the sentence and then select the choice that correctly communicates that meaning. Understand the role of each modifier in the sentence and note for any changes in the placement of these modifiers.

In this question I didn’t choose C because I wanted to put the sentence “the reason…..” close to “lack of quick and or bold reaction” I choose A only for that reason though I was also confused about the wording in Choice A. So, Between A and C I chose A. In both sentences I had confusion. In A --- Wording issue. In C-placing the modifier close to the entity which it is modifying.
Now please give me suggestion what I will do in such a situation because I have already got many questions which were canceling the options depending the reason I have already mentioned for C

Hi Raihanuddin,

It’s great that you were able to eliminate three incorrect options. Also, your doubt regarding the wording of option A is valid.

Now, you have correctly said that the modifier should be placed as close to the modified entity as possible. Accordingly, let’s look at the question and find out more about this modifier and modified entity in the context of choice A and C:

Question

• At the heart of euro crisis is Mrs. Merckel’s lack of quick or bold reaction, the reason for lack of halting of the downward spiral of the euro.

Choice A-Mrs. Merckel’s lack of quick or bold reaction, the reason for lack of halting of the downward spiral of the euro

Modifier- ‘the reason…euro.’
This is a ‘noun + noun modifier’ in which the noun is ‘the reason’ and the noun modifier is ‘for lack…. of the euro’.

Modified Entity- As it is clear from the type of modifier, the modified entity is the one that provides us a reason for something. What is the reason for the continuation of the downfall of euro? The reason is ‘Mrs. Merckel’s lack of quick or bold reaction’.

• Let’s take a look at the sentence again:

At the heart of euro crisis is Mrs. Merckel’s lack of quick or bold reaction, the reason for lack of halting of the downward spiral of the euro.

As you can see, in this case the modifier is placed right next to the modified entity. Now let’s look at option C.

Choice C- …the lack of quick or bold reaction by Mrs. Merckel, the reason that the downward spiral of the euro has not halted.

Modifier- ‘the reason…..’
This is a ‘noun + noun modifier’ in which the noun is ‘the reason’ and the noun modifier is ‘that the…..not halted’.

Modified Entity- Again we have to identify the modified entity. According to this option, the reason for the continuation of the downfall of euro is ‘the lack of quick or bold reaction by Mrs. Merckel’.

• Let’s take a look at the sentence again:

At the heart of euro crisis is the lack of quick or bold reaction by Mrs. Merckel, the reason that the downward spiral of the euro has not halted.

Again the modifier is placed right next to the modified entity.

Process of Elimination

So, both these choices have placed the modifier as close to the modified entity as possible. Also, both these choices are grammatically correct. Now, to eliminate one of these we have to check which one of them communicates a logical meaning in the most concise manner.
In choice A the phrase ‘lack of halting’ does not seem to convey a logical meaning. An action either halts or does not halt. This is the problem in the wording of this option.
Since choice C removes this error, it is the correct answer.

Recommendations

Since you are facing problems in the questions that use ‘noun + noun modifiers’, I would recommend that you go through the article on the same by our team. Here is the link to the article: noun-noun-modifiers-the-most-versatile-modifier-137292.html

Hope the above discussion helps! :)
Regards,

Deepak.

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9634 [2], given: 351

e-GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 438 [0], given: 886

Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 05:21
Thank for E-gmat , another awesome explanation

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Kudos [?]: 438 [0], given: 886

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 358 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 06:27
This is the 9th most hardest SC question as per the list
If you came here all the way from 1 to 9...I am sure you will choose A :-D
I got all of the 9 incorrect...In all these questions..You come down to 2 close options..And the most straight forward and decent looking option is always incorrect
Fortunately this is the first question on the list which sounds good to be tested on gmat..the rest till know were all shit load of crap
Refrain from this list if you don't wanna lose your intutive ear to such sad questions..100-hardest-sc-questions-on-the-forum-162101.html

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Kudos [?]: 358 [0], given: 139

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 22:48
egmat wrote:
Quote:
egmat wrote:

A. Mrs. Merckel’s lack of quick or bold reaction, the reason for lack of halting of the downward spiral of the euro
B. Mrs. Merckel, whose lack of quick or bold reaction is the reason that the downward spiral of the euro has not halted
C. the lack of quick or bold reaction by Mrs. Merckel, the reason that the downward spiral of the euro has not halted.
D. Mrs. Merckel, whose lack of quick or bold reaction is the reason of lack of halting of the downward spiral of the euro.
E. the lack of quick or bold reaction by Mrs. Merckel, resulting in the downward spiral of the euro.

1. Mrs. Merckel’s lack of quick or bold reaction is at the heart of euro crisis.
2. Her lack of bold reaction is the reason for lack of halting of the downward spiral of the Euro
a. This is rather confusing expression. It intends to say that her lack of bold reaction is the reason why downward spiral of Euro has not halted or stopped.

Does this mean that "Mrs. Merckel's lack of bod reaction" is not the reason for lack of halt instead "Mrs. Merckel's lack of bold reaction is at the heart of euro crisis" is the reason?

Please help me understand this.

Thanks Anuj!!

Preparing for the next shot!!!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 09:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2015, 10:28
Hi,

One question, is option C not a run-on sentence??? You may answer that it is a appositive modifier. How can I recognize the difference?

Thank you

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2016, 12:01
A,B and D directly out.
Between C and E, E changes the meaning by putting modifier "resulting". It itself did not caused the downfall, but it is "the reason" for not halting.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 06:39
Anasthaesium wrote:
c) the lack of quick or bold reaction by Mrs. Merckel, the reason that the downward spiral on the euro has not halted.

"Mrs. Merkel" cannot be the object of the sentence or the logic of the sentence is affected . So eliminate B and D
"the reason...." is the object of the subject " the heart of the eurocrisis.." for A E and C. So let's keep those for now.

"Mrs. Merkel's lack of..." maintains an object in A, but "lack of halting of downward spiral" is not grammatical. So that leaves us E and C.

E alters the meaning of the sentence to "Causation" rather than preventing the further deterioration of the Euro.

That leaves us with our answer C.

Now give me that month's Verbal freebie! I really need it. ;)

I am confused on what "reason" in option C modify? Is this a use of idea or abstract noun? Please explain.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 08:26
egmat wrote:
This question is the first practice problem meaning based questions and tests proper placement of modifiers. Correct and best explanation will get a Kudos from us and a free subscription for 1 month to ourOG Verbal 2 solutions for Sentence Correction. OG Verbal 2 solutions contain solutions to all SC questions using e-GMAT 3 step process- amounting to 14 hrs of audio visual content. Currently 50 solutions are uploaded. The set will be completed by the end of the month.

We will provide the official answer in a couple of hrs.

Also Check out 5 strategies that GMAT uses to distort the meaning of the original sentence
5-strategies-that-gmat-uses-to-distort-meaning-124296.html

in C, reason that is not idiomatic
the reason for which I fail on gmat
is idiomatic

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 916

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 143

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 10:30
egmat wrote:
This question is the first practice problem meaning based questions and tests proper placement of modifiers. Correct and best explanation will get a Kudos from us and a free subscription for 1 month to ourOG Verbal 2 solutions for Sentence Correction. OG Verbal 2 solutions contain solutions to all SC questions using e-GMAT 3 step process- amounting to 14 hrs of audio visual content. Currently 50 solutions are uploaded. The set will be completed by the end of the month.

We will provide the official answer in a couple of hrs.

Also Check out 5 strategies that GMAT uses to distort the meaning of the original sentence
http://gmatclub.com/forum/5-strategies- ... 24296.html

Bumping since its a very useful post :)
Happy studying !!

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 143

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 112

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 18:12
Raihanuddin wrote:
egmat wrote:
Quote:
egmat wrote:

Find the Errors in the Original Sentence

This sentence has only 1 clause with inverted SV order. Grammatically this sentence appears to be ok but it is not written in concise manner. The expression – “lack of halting of …” is overly complicated and confusing as discussed in meaning analysis.

Review Answer Choices to do POE

Choice B – This choice changes the meaning of the sentence. It now states that Mrs. Merckel is at the heart of Euro crisis. Per the original sentence, her lack of quick or bold decision is at the heart of Euro crisis.

Choice C – Correct Choice.

Choice D – This choice repeats the errors of Choice B

Choice E – This choice is grammatically correct. But it changes the intended meaning of the sentence. Now it implies that lack of bold reaction is the reason behind the downward spiral of the Euro. This is not correct. Note that per the intended meaning – downward spiral of Euro is already happening. Mrs. Merckel is not taking a quick or bold decision. This indecisiveness results in continuation of the downward spiral. Thus, its not like this indecisiveness results in the downward spiral of Euro. It results in not being able to stop this downward spiral.

TAKE AWAYS

1. Understand the intended meaning of the sentence and then select the choice that correctly communicates that meaning. Understand the role of each modifier in the sentence and note for any changes in the placement of these modifiers.

In this question I didn’t choose C because I wanted to put the sentence “the reason…..” close to “lack of quick and or bold reaction” I choose A only for that reason though I was also confused about the wording in Choice A. So, Between A and C I chose A. In both sentences I had confusion. In A --- Wording issue. In C-placing the modifier close to the entity which it is modifying.
Now please give me suggestion what I will do in such a situation because I have already got many questions which were canceling the options depending the reason I have already mentioned for C

I have similar doubt. It will be great if any expert can advise on that.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 112

Re: Meaning Based 2: MRS MERCKEL   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2017, 18:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Meaning Based 2: MRS MERCKEL

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap