It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 02:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Javan rhinoc

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 136

GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Javan rhinoc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 04:28
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

25% (01:17) correct 75% (01:18) wrong based on 253

HideShow timer Statistics

Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Javan rhinoceros is often called the rarest large mammal on earth. Though the habitat of the Javan rhino once extended across southern Asia, now there are fewer than one hundred of the animals in Indonesia and fewer than a dozen in Vietnam. The decline of the species may have progressed too far to be reversed. For centuries, farmers who wished to cultivate the rhino’s habitat viewed the animals as crop-eating pests and shot them on sight; during the colonial period, hunters slaughtered thousands for their horns, as poachers still do today. The surviving Vietnamese herd has diminished to the point that it can no longer maintain the genetic variation necessary for long-term survival. The Indonesian herd cannot be used to supplement the Vietnamese population because, in the millions of years since Indonesia separated from the mainland, the two groups have evolved into separate sub-species. The Indonesian rhinos are protected on the Ujung Kulon peninsula, which is unsettled by humans, and still thought to have sufficient genetic diversity to survive. The lack of human disturbance, however, allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation preferred by the animals. Human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.
For what purpose does the author include the last sentence of the passage?

a) To demonstrate that the Indonesian herd has better odds of surviving than the Vietnamese herd.

b) To support the contention that the Javan rhino species may not be able to recover from its current state.

c) To establish that farmers and hunters are no longer killing Javan rhinos.

d) To reinforce the idea that the Indonesian herd of the Javan rhino species will not survive.

e) To illustrate that human benevolence can be just as detrimental to the survival of a species as can human maltreatment.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #1 OA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Javan rhinoc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 04:30
I rejected the choice E because I find last line optimistic rather than pessimistic.

Human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.

Writing the below line will make it pessimistic indeed

Human benevolence may prove only little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.

The below line is optimistic

Studying for 1 hour daily may bring better results than studying for 7 hours once in a week.

So, according to the last line of the passage, human benevolence is not as detrimental as human maltreatment.

For the same reason I rejected the choice B, last line seems to be optimistic, but choice B seems to be pessimistic.

I finally selected choice C which is too strong to be the right choice. Please help !

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 16

Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Premium Member
Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Javan rhinoc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 04:38
AR15J wrote:
I rejected the choice E because I find last line optimistic rather than pessimistic.

Human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.

Human benevolence may prove only little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.

Studying for 1 hour daily may bring better results than studying for 7 hours once in a week.

So, according to the last line of the passage, human benevolence is not as detrimental as human maltreatment.

For the same reason I rejected the choice B, last line seems to be optimistic, but choice B seems to be pessimistic.

I finally selected choice C which is too strong to be the right choice. Please help !

You are spot on with E. As For C, you may have missed the fact that poachers are still hunting these rhinos (mentioned in first few sentences).
Now the author tells that the rhino population has been declining rapidly to the point from where it can't be reversed. Option B indirectly states that

Posted from my mobile device

Top Contributor
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9278 [0], given: 1168

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 04:45
Top Contributor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 05:50
carcass wrote:
Please follow the rules how to format an RC passage.

rc-forum-rules-must-read-155874.html

Thank you

I followed the rules. There is similar passage, but not same, and I just have only one question for this passage. `.

Top Contributor
Board of Directors
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 06:21
Top Contributor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 06:41
carcass wrote:
See the first post, the way how should be .

One question or 10 is irrelevant. Otherwise would be a CR

:wink:

Thanks. How did you change the format of the first post? I don't know how to do it. Moreover, I did not find this information in the provided link

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 06:43
deep14 wrote:
AR15J wrote:

You are spot on with E. As For C, you may have missed the fact that poachers are still hunting these rhinos (mentioned in first few sentences).
Now the author tells that the rhino population has been declining rapidly to the point from where it can't be reversed. Option B indirectly states that

Can you please point out the line which says that poachers are still hunting? As per my understanding, the passage says that they hunt in the past. No information is given on present hunting. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now the author tells that the rhino population has been declining rapidly to the point from where it can't be reversed.-- The question asked about only the last line, not about the entire passage.

Top Contributor
Board of Directors
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 07:00
Top Contributor
AR15J wrote:
carcass wrote:
See the first post, the way how should be .

One question or 10 is irrelevant. Otherwise would be a CR

:wink:

Thanks. How did you change the format of the first post? I don't know how to do it. Moreover, I did not find this information in the provided link

Are there, you didnt notice. just below the passage

Example of How to Post RC Questions

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 136

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
I think I missed it earlier. We have to use the below tags for paragraph n questions. Correct me if I am wrong

Coding for RC
Paragraph
Questions

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 136

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 02:55

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 03:02
AR15J wrote:

Hi Expert,

Please help. I got the similar tone in Gmatclub exam as well, and I think I understood that wrong too. Below is the last line from that passage

American popularized versions of Feng Shui, by contrast, show hardly any concern for directional alignment or key objects, preferring instead the excessive use of crystals, mirrors, and table-top water features, which, though perhaps entertaining, display precious little respect for the real influence of Chi.

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1230 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 17:20
Yeah, these are tricky little phrases that don't mean exactly what some people think.

If I say that something is "little better" than something else, I'm saying that it is hardly an improvement at all. In many cases, the point may be that the difference is not worth noting, or that making a change would not be worthwhile. For instance, if I suggest some complex way to save money on groceries through data-intensive comparison shopping, and it turns out that the result is "little better than buying everything at the nearest market," then you'd probably conclude that it would be a waste of time to adopt my method. In the context of our RC passage, you'd expect "human benevolence" to be a whole lot better than maltreatment, so it's rather depressing to hear that it is "little better."

(Note that we can also use this form with some other words, such as "little worse" or "little short of," the latter meaning "almost as much/the same as." "The policy is little short of an outright import ban.")

"Precious little," on the other hand, is simply an idiom that means "very little." You can also say "precious few," but I can't think of any other words that we'd use this way. You can't say "precious many." I think the original idea is that the thing in question is so rare as to be precious, although when we use the expression that doesn't literally have to be true.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1230 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager
B

Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Premium Member
Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Javan rhinoc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 12:23
AR15J wrote:
deep14 wrote:
AR15J wrote:

Can you please point out the line which says that poachers are still hunting? As per my understanding, the passage says that they hunt in the past. No information is given on present hunting. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now the author tells that the rhino population has been declining rapidly to the point from where it can't be reversed.-- The question asked about only the last line, not about the entire passage.

Little late to reply, ignore if you have already figured it out. To answer your question on where it is mentioned that poachers are still hunting, consider this sentence from the passage -
For centuries, farmers who wished to cultivate the rhino’s habitat viewed the animals as crop-eating pests and shot them on sight; during the colonial period, hunters slaughtered thousands for their horns, as poachers still do today.

Lastly the question is, what is meant by the last sentence? It basically reinforces the fact that we can do almost nothing to help which is a paraphrase of option B. In this case it does not matter where the statement from option B is located in the passage.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 08:02
The two last sentences: The lack of human disturbance, however, allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation preferred by the animals. Human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment." is a complete contradiction to the rest (the word however proves that) so if you read carefully the question: For what purpose does the author include the last sentence of the passage? they want an answer that states that humans aren't as cruel as they were before. That's clearly the purpose. I would have chose B is the question were : what is the conclusion of this article concerning the javan rhino species

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 854

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 02:31
AR15J wrote:
Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Javan rhinoceros is often called the rarest large mammal on earth. Though the habitat of the Javan rhino once extended across southern Asia, now there are fewer than one hundred of the animals in Indonesia and fewer than a dozen in Vietnam. The decline of the species may have progressed too far to be reversed. For centuries, farmers who wished to cultivate the rhino’s habitat viewed the animals as crop-eating pests and shot them on sight; during the colonial period, hunters slaughtered thousands for their horns, as poachers still do today. The surviving Vietnamese herd has diminished to the point that it can no longer maintain the genetic variation necessary for long-term survival. The Indonesian herd cannot be used to supplement the Vietnamese population because, in the millions of years since Indonesia separated from the mainland, the two groups have evolved into separate sub-species. The Indonesian rhinos are protected on the Ujung Kulon peninsula, which is unsettled by humans, and still thought to have sufficient genetic diversity to survive. The lack of human disturbance, however, allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation preferred by the animals. Human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.
For what purpose does the author include the last sentence of the passage?

a) To demonstrate that the Indonesian herd has better odds of surviving than the Vietnamese herd.

b) To support the contention that the Javan rhino species may not be able to recover from its current state.

c) To establish that farmers and hunters are no longer killing Javan rhinos.

d) To reinforce the idea that the Indonesian herd of the Javan rhino species will not survive.

e) To illustrate that human benevolence can be just as detrimental to the survival of a species as can human maltreatment.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

B.
Here's my 2 cents.
I have highlighted some text in the passage to support the answer.

The last line is

The lack of human disturbance, however, allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation preferred by the animals. Human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.

Let's analyze the options one by one.

A. To demonstrate that the Indonesian herd has better odds of surviving than the Vietnamese herd.
There is no comparison going on here, so this is eliminated.

B. To support the contention that the Javan rhino species may not be able to recover from its current state.
Correct. Look at the highlighted text, IMO that is the main point of the passage. The passage has already mentioned that the Vietnamese herd does not have the genetic diversity to survive. The line before the last line mentions that the preferred habitat by rhinos is getting replaced by dense forests due to lack of human interference. These points add up to the suggest that rhinos may not after all be able to survive.

C. To establish that farmers and hunters are no longer killing Javan rhinos.
Nothing mentioned about this, so eliminated.

D. To reinforce the idea that the Indonesian herd of the Javan rhino species will not survive.
This is tricky. Although this is more nicely narrowed down to the context of Indonesian rhinos(content about which is closely placed to the last line), this option goes too far in saying that "they will not survive". Only because of extreme language, this is wrong.

E. To illustrate that human benevolence can be just as detrimental to the survival of a species as can human maltreatment.
This is also tricky. Although the last line does illustrate this for rhinos, it does not illustrate this for ANY SPECIES, as is indicated by the highlighted text - "a" species. Because of this, it's also wrong

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 854

Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Javan rhinoc   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2017, 02:31

Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Javan rhinoc

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap