GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     08:00 PM MST

     09:00 PM MST

    Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Medical education in the United States has focused almost

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Status: I don't stop when I'm Tired,I stop when I'm done
Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 542
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 10:10
Top Contributor
FN wrote:
Medical education in the United States has focused almost exclusively on curative medicine, while preventive care has been given scant attention. This is misguided. Medical schools should invest as much time in teaching their students how to prevent illness as in teaching them how to cure it.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

(A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines.
(B) In 1988, for every three cents the United States spent on prevention, it spent 97 cents on curative treatment.
(C) The number of students enrolled in medical school is the highest it has ever been.
(D) More people die each year from disease than from accidental causes.
(E) As the population grows, the number of doctors in certain specialties has not been keeping pace.

I disagree with the OA..but lets see if i am the only one reading it wrong!



Premise:
    Medical education focused a lot more on medicine than preventive care

Conclusion:
    Medical education Should Focus as much on medicine as on preventive care

Answer Choice (A) strengthened the argument.In answer choice (A) vaccines (preventive care) is effective to prevent many diseases, Strengthened the idea that preventive care is helpful or important.

Correct Answer (A)
_________________

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1316
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 15:32
FN wrote:
Medical education in the United States has focused almost exclusively on curative medicine, while preventive care has been given scant attention. This is misguided. Medical schools should invest as much time in teaching their students how to prevent illness as in teaching them how to cure it.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

(A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines.
(B) In 1988, for every three cents the United States spent on prevention, it spent 97 cents on curative treatment.
(C) The number of students enrolled in medical school is the highest it has ever been.
(D) More people die each year from disease than from accidental causes.
(E) As the population grows, the number of doctors in certain specialties has not been keeping pace.


OFFICIAL SOLUTION



The conclusion is that medical schools are misguided. The basis for this claim is that they pay little attention to preventive medicine. The argument would be made stronger by a statement concerning the benefits of preventive medicine.

(A) CORRECT. Vaccines are a type of preventive medicine that have known benefits, i.e., preventing contagious diseases.

(B) This statement supports the idea that the more time and money are spent on curative medicine than on preventive medicine.  However, it does not speak to the benefits of preventive medicine.

(C) The number of students enrolled in medical school has nothing to do with the benefits of preventive medicine.

(D) Accidental causes have nothing to do with the benefits of preventive medicine.

(E) The number of doctors in certain specialties has nothing to do with the benefits of preventative medicine.
_________________

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 26 Oct 2016
Posts: 641
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 05:12
Question is :- Why medical schools invest good amount of time in teaching their students to prevent illness rather than teaching them how to cure it.

A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines.
Correct: Vaccines are prevention not a cure. If many diseases can be prevented by vaccines then medical school should teach prevention as well. Make sense.

B) In 1988, for every three cents the United States spent on prevention, it spent 97 cents on curative treatment.
Wrong: This talks about fundings. Out of the scope.

C) The number of students enrolled in medical school is the highest it has ever been.
Wrong: Out of the scope. Author is not concerned about no of enrollments.

D) More people die each year from disease than from accidental causes.
Wrong: This doesn't strengthen the argument.

E) As the population grows, the number of doctors in certain specialties has not been keeping pace.
Wrong: Out of the scope.
_________________

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 16 Feb 2017
Posts: 8
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 10:23
1
If you're stuck between A and B. Read this:

Conclusion: Focused almost exclusively on curative medicine while preventive care has been given scant attention. This is misguided.

Why?
Premise: Medical schools should invest as much time in teaching their students how to prevent illness as in teaching them how to cure it.

Question Stem:
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

(B) In 1988, for every three cents the United States spent on prevention, it spent 97 cents on curative treatment

What year is it right now? Are we in 2050? That would mean the statement above describes a time over half a century ago. Also, what if in 1999 they spent 99 c on prevention and 1 c on curative treatment.

Think about it. Now a beautiful fact shines through below:

(A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines.

Just what I was looking for.

Why should I believe the conclusion? <Recap>
Conclusion: Focused almost exclusively on curative medicine while preventive care has been given scant attention. This is misguided.

Because: (A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines.

interesting. no timeline here. Just a plain simple fact.

Kudos if this helped. (my first answer on gmat club)
Ashish
_________________

Click Kudos if this helps!
Nash

Current Student
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 509
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 22:52
Nash1989 wrote:
If you're stuck between A and B. Read this:

Conclusion: Focused almost exclusively on curative medicine while preventive care has been given scant attention. This is misguided.

Why?
Premise: Medical schools should invest as much time in teaching their students how to prevent illness as in teaching them how to cure it.

Question Stem:
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

(B) In 1988, for every three cents the United States spent on prevention, it spent 97 cents on curative treatment

What year is it right now? Are we in 2050? That would mean the statement above describes a time over half a century ago. Also, what if in 1999 they spent 99 c on prevention and 1 c on curative treatment.

Think about it. Now a beautiful fact shines through below:

(A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines.

Just what I was looking for.

Why should I believe the conclusion? <Recap>
Conclusion: Focused almost exclusively on curative medicine while preventive care has been given scant attention. This is misguided.

Because: (A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines.

interesting. no timeline here. Just a plain simple fact.

Kudos if this helped. (my first answer on gmat club)
Ashish



+1 to you simply for highlighting a point about timeline which was missed by most of us even after 3 pages of discussion.

Great explanation.
_________________

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1675
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 00:56
semwal wrote:
i thought this is a practical question......
IMO---- competition between "A" and" E"........"A" IS THE WINNER..............

(E) As the population grows, the number of doctors in certain specialties has not been keeping pace..... AIM OF ANY SOCIETY IS TO FULFILL A TASK WITH MINIMUM RESOURCES....IF WE COULD HANDLE A SITUATION WITH PREVENTION AND LESS DOCTORS ....WHY SHOULD WE WAIT FOR REDUCTION IN INFLATED DOCTOR NUMBERS TO RESORT TO THE ECONOMICAL METHOD THAT IS PREVENTION....I MEAN WE SHOULD NOT WAIT TO RESORT TO A BETTER METHOD AS A REMEDIAL MEASURE BUT RATHER HAVE IT AT FIRST PLACE....

(A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines......PRACTICAL METHOD TO PREVENT DISEASES AND ECONOMIZE ON THE HUGE EXPENDITURE ON EPIDEMIC LATER...


I agree with you. I picked E, but A should be correct.
First, in gmat, ones should never use outside knowledge. Secondly, even if E is correct, E is based on at least one assumption that is not covered in the argument. Third, as you said, E is not strong enough to strengthen the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 08 Jan 2018
Posts: 237
Location: United States (ID)
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 17:59
"in certain specialties" is why E is incorrect.
Such doctors must be well-trained, and common people alone cannot defend themselves to some diseases.
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1091
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 05:27
FN wrote:
Medical education in the United States has focused almost exclusively on curative medicine, while preventive care has been given scant attention. This is misguided. Medical schools should invest as much time in teaching their students how to prevent illness as in teaching them how to cure it.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

(A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines.
(B) In 1988, for every three cents the United States spent on prevention, it spent 97 cents on curative treatment.
(C) The number of students enrolled in medical school is the highest it has ever been.
(D) More people die each year from disease than from accidental causes.
(E) As the population grows, the number of doctors in certain specialties has not been keeping pace.

I disagree with the OA..but lets see if i am the only one reading it wrong!


Imo A

Preventive care is scant attention as compared to curative medicine .Now the argument says this policy is at fault and again reiterates that medical students should be taught both preventive care and curative care in the same proportion.
To strengthen we have to find an option that gives us something about that should validate preventive care .
Only A does that
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 25 Feb 2017
Posts: 25
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 11:08
FN wrote:
Medical education in the United States has focused almost exclusively on curative medicine, while preventive care has been given scant attention. This is misguided. Medical schools should invest as much time in teaching their students how to prevent illness as in teaching them how to cure it.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

(A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines.
(B) In 1988, for every three cents the United States spent on prevention, it spent 97 cents on curative treatment.
(C) The number of students enrolled in medical school is the highest it has ever been.
(D) More people die each year from disease than from accidental causes.
(E) As the population grows, the number of doctors in certain specialties has not been keeping pace.

I disagree with the OA..but lets see if i am the only one reading it wrong!


PREMISE : Medical education in the United States has focused almost exclusively on curative medicine, while preventive care has been given scant attention

CONCLUSION : Medical schools should invest as much time in teaching their students how to prevent illness as in teaching them how to cure it

We have to strengthen the conclusion

(A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines.. IT is strenghening the conclusion .HENCE CORRECT .

(B) In 1988, for every three cents the United States spent on prevention, it spent 97 cents on curative treatment.

It is srengthening the premise .


(C) The number of students enrolled in medical school is the highest it has ever been.


Number of students is IRRELEVANT.

(D) More people die each year from disease than from accidental causes.

Accidental causes ae not our concern .IRRELEVANT .

(E) As the population grows, the number of doctors in certain specialties has not been keeping pace.

OUT OF SCOPE .
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 15 Nov 2017
Posts: 106
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Retail)
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 02:32
Option A clearly favours the argument, which is "Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines", nothing has been commented whether preventive includes giving medicine, in the first glance we tend to assume that only curative medicine deals with giving medicine and preventive does not(Trap)
Classic question, which compels us to mix our knowledge with this argument and produce incorrect results
_________________

All egmat SC Resource for FREE

Like = +Kudos

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost &nbs [#permalink] 27 Mar 2018, 02:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Medical education in the United States has focused almost

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.