Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [38]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [3]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: finance and international business
Schools:Columbia university
 Q18  V17 GMAT 2: 320  Q18  V19 GMAT 3: 620  Q42  V33
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical form of di [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I've noticed a pattern in such assumption questions.

Premise states: A causes B.

Assumption is B didn't cause A. In all the OG questions I've seen, B didn't Cause A has been the right answer in such questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [2]
Send PM
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical form of di [#permalink]
Kudos
The author here concludes that virus V causes atypical diabetes. Therefore, he assumes that virus V is the only cause of atypical diabetes (according to The GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible). So people not infected with virus V cannot develop atypical diabetes and therefore answer C is also correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
well the conclusion here is that virus V triggers atypical diabetes. so the assumption must be diabetes cannot trigger the virus.

+1 for D

(but, originally went for C)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
After trying to get my head around why C is not correct I think I finally got it. Answer C says "Individuals not infected with virus V cannot develop atypical diabetes" whereas the stimilus says "Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical form of diabetes " the keyword here is "an" which indicates that this is one of many atypical form of diabetes. C refers to all forms of atypical diabetes
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Had i not studied from CR Bible I would've definitely gone for D.....but now I am equally attracted by C.....idk...my CR skills seem to have become more shaky than before......

Please someone explain why C isnt corect according to Powerscore CR bible's methodology.....none of the above explanations convince me..... :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Easy to pick C but here is why it is wrong. The argument says "a dispropotionately large number". It doesnt say all people who have atypical diabetes have Virus V. So that rules out C straight away because C suggests that all people who have atypical diabetes have virus V. Now we are just looking to establish that the atypical diabetes does not cause Virus V, it is supposed to be the other way around. Hence the only option that supports that is D.

Hence D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
(C)Individuals not infected with virus V cannot develop atypical diabetes.
(D)Atypical diabetes does not predispose people to infection from virus V.

Two choices I narrowed down to were these.

I tried negating to see which one would affect the argument that Virus led to Atypical diabetes.

C) WHEN NEGATED --> Individuals not infected with virus V can develop atypical diabetes. (Doesn't seem to weaken argument) NOTE: Here one can go wrong if he or she replaces the not infected part. Not infected is not a restricter in the argument and is definitely not the main action in the sentence. Not infected is only a subset, so if you wrongly NEGATED the not infected part then you WILL be confused and you will find it difficult to narrow down further.

D) WHEN NEGATED --> Atypical diabetes predisposes people to infection from virus V. (WEAKENS ARGUMENT because it gives an alternate reason by reversing the causal)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM