Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: CUHK '21 (II)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Mental Calm-Help needed for GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Pallavim28,

Many Test Takers find the GMAT to be challenging - so you are not alone. It's important to remember that the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam though - so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) In your initial post, you said that you were planning to take an Official CAT this past weekend? How did you score on that CAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Pallavim28,

I’m sorry to hear about how you have been feeling. Stay strong! With some dedication and a comprehensive study plan, you can master the GMAT.

That being said, I see that you do not have a baseline GMAT score. In short order, could you take an official MBA.com practice test? Your experience with taking that test will give you a good idea of what to expect on the GMAT, and the results will serve as a baseline GMAT score. Once we know your baseline score, we can determine next steps.

Also, I have a few questions:

1) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

2) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

3) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

Once I learn more about you, I can provide some detailed advice.

Lastly, you may find this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30793 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Pallavim28,

I can understand that must be tough for you to remain motivated. One way to remain motivated is to become good at the task in hand. I am sure you will find it a lot less like an effort if you feel comfortable with the process of solving these questions and start getting high accuracy. A structured approach and a reliable and repeatable application process will do just that for you.

Experience a Structured Approach to GMAT Prep

I’m sharing some direct links of free trial material for your convenience. More of them (25 video lessons and 380+ practice questions) are available on your free trial dashboard.

Need help in creating a Study Plan?

We have published several articles on Study Plans and I am sharing the link to those for you so that you can find helpful tips and plan well for your test. If you face any problem in creating a customized plan for yourself after reading those articles, you can write to us at support@e-gmat.com and we will be happy to help.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Aditee
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Pallavi,

I must say when I started to prep I felt more or less the same.Eventually it’s a mind game.Persevernace is what is required here.

I have been through fears and while I write this I feel what are you going through.I know how bad it feels that although you want to achieve the magical score ,fear holds you and takes you down .

Beat all the odds ,start practicing daily.For one time do not think of a result .Take one step at a time.Start with one topic and solve questions.Take pride in whatever you do .

Remember the journey teaches you a lot.You would eventually grow and it may be that in some cases the results may not go into your favor but never loose heart.

The journey will teach you a lot and you would overcome your fear gradually.

Remember every human being is a fighter .

My head always echoes with one dialogue in Hindi
“Zinda hun “.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,
thankyou for your reply.
I feel terrible mentioning my test scores here, but neverthless I want to ace it.
450(Q35,V17)

I attempted 50 percent in both the sections because my speed was v slow. (not sure that impacted but yes my accuracy was bad in verbal section).

Few queries:
I was performing decent in RC in gmat club questions(i mention the term decently which a relative term how i performed on the GMAT Prep test 1.Not sure what went wrong the clock ticking or what.

Study materials:
1)I m using Power score for CR bible for CR section.
1.a)Have not started with SC as yet.
1.b)For RC i m just solving passages on GMAT club-From where i can learn tricks on these?
2)I am targeting only topics with 600-700 level of difficulty as of now.
For quant's i am clearing my basic on number systems and P and C as of now and practicing GMAT club 600-700 qyestions.
3)I am working and studying along.
4) what are the test series i should buy( i only know GMAT prep) and from if i can get links to buy these test, which are best among them.

Goals:
3)Planning to take GMAT November end.
4)Planning to APPLY TO ISB(India) in second cycle of admissions.
5)Planning to keep other top colleges in my country with ISB(Some executive courses , all during December end.

Is this jump in score even possible ? or is it just not accepting the bitter truth?.
Please guide.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Pallavim28,

Many Test Takers find the GMAT to be challenging - so you are not alone. It's important to remember that the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam though - so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) In your initial post, you said that you were planning to take an Official CAT this past weekend? How did you score on that CAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ScottTargetTestPrep.

please find my detailed reply to the questions on the same wall address to Rich/Scott.

Please help with a roadmap.

Additonal infor required.
I can study approx 3 hours on a weekday 5 hours on a weekend.

ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Pallavim28,

I’m sorry to hear about how you have been feeling. Stay strong! With some dedication and a comprehensive study plan, you can master the GMAT.

That being said, I see that you do not have a baseline GMAT score. In short order, could you take an official MBA.com practice test? Your experience with taking that test will give you a good idea of what to expect on the GMAT, and the results will serve as a baseline GMAT score. Once we know your baseline score, we can determine next steps.

Also, I have a few questions:

1) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

2) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

3) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

Once I learn more about you, I can provide some detailed advice.

Lastly, you may find this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi warrior1991,

Thankyou so much for this motivation. Yes the feat of unknown makes me scared and i guess i need to learn to thinking about "WHAT IF NOT".
Needless to say, Whatsoever the outcome may be i will surely get a lot stronger by the end of this journey.

Thankyou for the motivation will keep up and keep moving even the destination may seem v far off. :)

warrior1991 wrote:
Pallavi,

I must say when I started to prep I felt more or less the same.Eventually it’s a mind game.Persevernace is what is required here.

I have been through fears and while I write this I feel what are you going through.I know how bad it feels that although you want to achieve the magical score ,fear holds you and takes you down .

Beat all the odds ,start practicing daily.For one time do not think of a result .Take one step at a time.Start with one topic and solve questions.Take pride in whatever you do .

Remember the journey teaches you a lot.You would eventually grow and it may be that in some cases the results may not go into your favor but never loose heart.

The journey will teach you a lot and you would overcome your fear gradually.

Remember every human being is a fighter .

My head always echoes with one dialogue in Hindi
“Zinda hun “.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thank you Payal i will surely check them out and make a planned strategy for it.:)
egmat wrote:
Hi Pallavim28,

I can understand that must be tough for you to remain motivated. One way to remain motivated is to become good at the task in hand. I am sure you will find it a lot less like an effort if you feel comfortable with the process of solving these questions and start getting high accuracy. A structured approach and a reliable and repeatable application process will do just that for you.

Experience a Structured Approach to GMAT Prep

I’m sharing some direct links of free trial material for your convenience. More of them (25 video lessons and 380+ practice questions) are available on your free trial dashboard.

Need help in creating a Study Plan?

We have published several articles on Study Plans and I am sharing the link to those for you so that you can find helpful tips and plan well for your test. If you face any problem in creating a customized plan for yourself after reading those articles, you can write to us at support@e-gmat.com and we will be happy to help.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Aditee
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Pallavim28,

To start, raising a 450 to a 680+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

With a Test Date at the end of November, you still have plenty of time to study and improve - which is good. You will want to be really efficient during this next phase of your studies though, so you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Many Test Takers become too fixated on the 'implied level' of the questions that they're working on - instead of what really matters: defining WHY they're getting questions wrong and becoming more efficient at approaching the overall Exam. This is meant to say that at this point you should be working on your overall knowledge and Test-taking skills - and NOT on any particular "level" of questions.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Yes, i felt the same feed to get my basics clear with help for a course and have enrolled for e-gmat verbal online yesterday.

About the no of hours per week- It should be between 23-25 hours per week I should be able to dedicate as I am working along.

Starting with how to read an RC, because that was the area i performed miserably in the Mock

Best,
Pallavi

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Pallavim28,

To start, raising a 450 to a 680+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

With a Test Date at the end of November, you still have plenty of time to study and improve - which is good. You will want to be really efficient during this next phase of your studies though, so you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Many Test Takers become too fixated on the 'implied level' of the questions that they're working on - instead of what really matters: defining WHY they're getting questions wrong and becoming more efficient at approaching the overall Exam. This is meant to say that at this point you should be working on your overall knowledge and Test-taking skills - and NOT on any particular "level" of questions.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi pallavi
I think you are doing the same mistake that I did.
I prepared for my GMAT heavily depending upon the book material. And I scored a 660 in my first attempt.
I was using the same strategy of solving as many problems as I could and checking my accuracy. And I would get disheartened too at times. My score wasn't improving beyond 560-580.
I then reffered some video tutorials on YouTube for verbal.
Here are few videos I recommend you should have a look at
1. SC, CR by jumboree ( set of 9 videos with increasing difficulty levels)
2. CR strategy by Crack verbal.
3. CR strategy by byjus.

Ofcourse The videos are not sufficient and you will need additional resources , but these will be right tools to start with.
You will learn some tricks and start noticing GMAT question pattern. You can then practice with different set of questions using these strategies.
It should help to boost your score a bit , at least upto 620 and you can then work on your weak sections.

Hope it helps.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi..

Thanks for pointing it out. I realized that probably solving questions will not be enough, Started with some video material.

Looking forward to share the progress:)

Darshanukey wrote:
Hi pallavi
I think you are doing the same mistake that I did.
I prepared for my GMAT heavily depending upon the book material. And I scored a 660 in my first attempt.
I was using the same strategy of solving as many problems as I could and checking my accuracy. And I would get disheartened too at times. My score wasn't improving beyond 560-580.
I then reffered some video tutorials on YouTube for verbal.
Here are few videos I recommend you should have a look at
1. SC, CR by jumboree ( set of 9 videos with increasing difficulty levels)
2. CR strategy by Crack verbal.
3. CR strategy by byjus.

Ofcourse The videos are not sufficient and you will need additional resources , but these will be right tools to start with.
You will learn some tricks and start noticing GMAT question pattern. You can then practice with different set of questions using these strategies.
It should help to boost your score a bit , at least upto 620 and you can then work on your weak sections.

Hope it helps.

Posted from my mobile device
Pallavim28 wrote:
Hi Rich,

Yes, i felt the same feed to get my basics clear with help for a course and have enrolled for e-gmat verbal online yesterday.

About the no of hours per week- It should be between 23-25 hours per week I should be able to dedicate as I am working along.

Starting with how to read an RC, because that was the area i performed miserably in the Mock

Best,
Pallavi

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Pallavim28,

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts